Everybody calm down,. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Its right up there with fans who expect a premiership each year. Of course fans should expect the club to strive for a premiership each year but I feel some cross the line of expectation to demanding a premiership each year.
So after 18 years since our last GF appearance, 4 failed prelim finals, 3 times blowing a top 2 finish and being the second last team to make a GF in that period - please tell me, what ought our expectations be?

I like the words he's saying but it will only be the actions that count

The key to me is that he's called out the culture of good. We see it in here constantly. Posters discussing why we're not taking the next step and have a recent record of failure at critical points have, "but we were good" or the even better, "we were good except for" thrown at them. Well, good isn't enough, it never has been.

The key to me is that he's called out the culture of good. We see it in here constantly. Posters discussing why we're not taking the next step and have a recent record of failure at critical points have, "but we were good" or the even better, "we were good except for" thrown at them. Well, good isn't enough, it never has been.
People don't really understand what elite standards actually means. It's not OK standards, or pretty good standards it's doing everything to an extremely high level.

This is the sport at its highest level, you don't win gold medals by giving a decent effort.

I like the way Don is talking, but if Thompson and Mackay line up in round 1 it's for nothing.

People don't really understand what elite standards actually means. It's not OK standards, or pretty good standards it's doing everything to an extremely high level.

This is the sport at its highest level, you don't win gold medals by giving a decent effort.

I like the way Don is talking, but if Thompson and Mackay line up in round 1 it's for nothing.
Agree 100% with this. What I worry about is that the club's idea of elite standards means that more players train and prepare themselves the way David Mackay does.

Him winning that award and Thompson (supposedly?) getting a contract extension is shaking my belief a bit.

If both are selected for round 1, you can basically write off 2017. I'm serious in saying that.

Sydney has 4 genuine A grade midfielders who polled strongly in the Brownlow and will finish top 6-7 in their B&F in what could be a premiership year, then you add Heeney and Mills to the mix who would be midfielders at any other club

This is the gap right here folks

We need to build our midfield power to be a genuine threat

So after 18 years since our last GF appearance, 4 failed prelim finals, 3 times blowing a top 2 finish and being the second last team to make a GF in that period - please tell me, what ought our expectations be?

Cant read? Try reading

Its right up there with fans who expect a premiership each year. Of course fans should expect the club to strive for a premiership each year but I feel some cross the line of expectation to demanding a premiership each year.

Clearly says we should expect the club to strive for a premiership each year does it not?

Agree 100% with this. What I worry about is that the club's idea of elite standards means that more players train and prepare themselves the way David Mackay does.

Him winning that award and Thompson (supposedly?) getting a contract extension is shaking my belief a bit.

I can understand it this year while Pyke settled in and found out who's worthwhile going forward. But not next year. It's weak to not delist Thommo, but that could be a board call. Pyke and his crew don't have to play him.

I can understand it this year while Pyke settled in and found out who's worthwhile going forward. But not next year. It's weak to not delist Thommo, but that could be a board call. Pyke and his crew don't have to play him.
Thommo getting a new contract is only acceptable if he is used as backup imo. We probably won't have such a golden run with injuries next year so may need him to come in occasionally to fill in for injured players. CEY is not the answer, as discussed elsewhere we should be looking to get someone eg a rockliff in for Thommo, I would also keep Lyons but we'll see what happens there.

Thommo getting a new contract is only acceptable if he is used as backup imo. We probably won't have such a golden run with injuries next year so may need him to come in occasionally to fill in for injured players. CEY is not the answer, as discussed elsewhere we should be looking to get someone eg a rockliff in for Thommo, I would also keep Lyons but we'll see what happens there.

CEY doesn't need to replace Thommo. Our original structure had one less inside mid. As we found out (AGAIN), we win our share, but struggle with the outside component of the craft. We don't need the extra, we need another runner to benefit from the other insiders who are playing at half fwd.

Not necessarily his crew yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

of course they can't win the premiership every year. But I want to see that they are progressing towards a premiership. There's a few players in the team that don't look like they will help the club to a premiership so why persist with them? The club needs to push to improve - they were willing to get rid of a coach, so why not a player?

of course they can't win the premiership every year. But I want to see that they are progressing towards a premiership. There's a few players in the team that don't look like they will help the club to a premiership so why persist with them? The club needs to push to improve - they were willing to get rid of a coach, so why not a player?

We all expected Thommo to decline this year given his age, but Jacobs and Douglas both dropping away dramatically is a worry. Pyke needs to look at replacements for both in the very near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back