Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh. Hideous.

So you could use ordinary or standard.

Where has this new use of the word 'vanilla' come from?

Would love people to learn some new words instead of coming up with ridiculous new ways to incorrectly use the words they know.
Well, that would just be a little beige!

Ugh. Hideous.

So you could use ordinary or standard.

Why use hideous when you could use revolting or repellant?

I like Stephen Fry's quote:

“The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane. Each sentence we produce, whether we know it or not, is a mongrel mouthful of Chaucerian, Shakespearean, Miltonic, Johnsonian, Dickensian and American. Military, naval, legal, corporate, criminal, jazz, rap and ghetto discourses are mingled at every turn. The French language, like Paris, has attempted, through its Academy, to retain its purity, to fight the advancing tides of Franglais and international prefabrication. English, by comparison, is a shameless whore.”

Why use hideous when you could use revolting or repellant?

I like Stephen Fry's quote:

That's a very choc chip cookie dough thing to say by Stephen Fry. He's a very hokey pokey with a flake on top type of person.

I know language evolves but if we're looking towards ice cream flavours to be used instead of the usual adjectives perhaps it's not evolving for the better.

This reminds me of Idiocracy

That's a very choc chip cookie dough thing to say by Stephen Fry. He's a very hokey pokey with a flake on top type of person.

I know language evolves but if we're looking towards ice cream flavours to be used instead of the usual adjectives perhaps it's not evolving for the better.

This reminds me of Idiocracy

So we should ban metaphor and simile then. Is that what you're saying?

Why not have fun with language? That kind of intellectualism where people actually have to think about what's being said is actually the opposite of Idiocracy. You sound like you're arguing for a dumbing-down of English.

And by the way, I very much liked your first sentence.

Brought to you by Carls Jr...

So we should ban metaphor and simile then. Is that what you're saying?

Why not have fun with language? That kind of intellectualism where people actually have to think about what's being said is actually the opposite of Idiocracy. You sound like you're arguing for a dumbing-down of English.

And by the way, I very much liked your first sentence.

Brought to you by Carls Jr...

You mean like

Player X is to footballers, like Vanilla is to ice cream flavours.

It's not being used as a metaphor or simile it's being used as an adjective.

Vanilla milkshakes are the best milkshake.
LOL, I was going to post the same thing. Being a non drinker quite often when I go out for a meal I'll order a vanilla milkshake, it always amuses who we are dining with and the surrounding tables and staff. I've just about had a vanilla milkshake from every restaurant in Oxford Street.

You mean like

Player X is to footballers, like Vanilla is to ice cream flavours.

It's not being used as a metaphor or simile it's being used as an adjective.

Well in this case one uses the term vanilla in an analogous sense to describe a person. Perhaps not strictly a metaphor, but that's not what I meant (and I'm pretty sure you knew that). In general, you seem to want to dull down language and not apply slang, metaphor or apply words outside their traditional meanings. Seems a bit sad to me.

Well in this case one uses the term vanilla in an analogous sense to describe a person. Perhaps not strictly a metaphor, but that's not what I meant (and I'm pretty sure you knew that). In general, you seem to want to dull down language and not apply slang, metaphor or apply words outside their traditional meanings. Seems a bit sad to me.

I have no issue with metaphor but 'player X is vanilla' is ridiculous. Player X is ordinary like vanilla ice cream is weird but less ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually it's more Nathan Barley than Idiocracy

Vanilla milkshakes are the best milkshake.

Moderator Warning: This kind of ridiculous sentiment will not be allowed on the Brisbane Lions board.

so dlanod clearly isn't a fan of Vanilla Milkshakes I guess. Perfectly legitimate statement to make IMO

have always been conspiracies of pedophile rings in hollywood. After all the sexual assaults coming out in recent years it might not be such a conspiracy after all. A few actors and actresses have put their lives on the line by saying a few things here and there over the years but nothing has ever been proven. If true than I can't imagine what it must have been like a generation or two ago...
About time this s**t is coming out... too long have they been protected. IIRC even got shouted down by Leemas of all people over the sleazy manager/hierarchy in positions of power to exploit hard working people. Boycott Hollywood.

Anyone else use the SkyView app? Was fun spinning around in circles checking the names of stars (which one can actually see tonight!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back