Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll probably bawl like a baby if they all come out ok and in one piece (so to speak) I did that when the Beaconsfield mine guys were rescued. Was glued to the tv for that one too.

...either way, I'll be bawling I'm guessing, sook that I am.

p.s Just said on the tv that there are 13 divers and 5 Navy Seals in the rescue team.

On a separate note, maybe parenting has turned me into a sook, but the scene where Moana’s grandma’s spirit (in the shape of a manta ray) guides Moana’s boat out to sea brings a tear to my eye every time. And my son watches Moana A LOT.

On a separate note, maybe parenting has turned me into a sook, but the scene where Moana’s grandma’s spirit (in the shape of a manta ray) guides Moana’s boat out to sea brings a tear to my eye every time. And my son watches Moana A LOT.

I know a lot of people who agree that parenthood opens up emotional pathways that might have have blocked previously. Taken was a very hard watch for me.

Reporting now that they are out. Not confirmed yet though. Fingers crossed this is right and they keep coming.

Watching ch7 live cross.

4 boys out, 2 more nearly out......have been glued to the tv feeling very emotional as this all unfolded.

Tipping point came when they told of the how Liverpool soccer club sent their best wishes and thoughts the other day (which I knew) but they then told how FIFA has said if all boys were out and well in time for the World Cup final they will be given tickets to be guests at the final.....I got onion eyes and for some reason my chin started to wobble.

Just amazing! That so far all are in fairly good condition and good spirits. I did think they'd get the weaker ones out first but they chose the stronger ones to test the escape route and methods used..

...oops, now they are saying the opposite, so things are still a bit confusing with information it seems.

Can't go to bed now until these kids are safe and out of there.

Christ, now they're saying they might sedate the kids, WT....how can they do that while they are not wearing equipment and expected to breath as well while going under water?:eek:

...hope these guys know they are doing.

The rains have started now as well.....have to be concerned for the last group out. All that rain will be running into the cave system.. Taking about 5-6hrs to get in and the same to get out.....dear god, you have to wonder why they didn't start all this a day or so earlier.

Very nervous about the outcome here tbh..:(

Apparently the boys have had our medical team of doctors down there with them.

Cave diving is very risky. Panicking in a tight squeeze while doing it is a fantastic way of putting a lot of people in a lot of danger.

Plus you use a lot of extra air. Personally, going from a beginner diver to an experienced diver I cut my air use to about a third of what it was. In no small part because I could be a lot more calm and measured about what I was doing. And keeping down your air use is critical when someone needs to haul all that air through a long-ass cave system first. At least a little mild sedation is likely to be a real good idea.

Thanks......admit to now having a better understanding of what they mean by sedation in this case. Sounded such a weird thing at the time it was first mentioned.

The whole thing is both exciting due their imminent rescue and terrifying due to the nature of that rescue. Those poor families and the anguish they must be going through!

Lets hope all goes well for the rest who come out today.

Saw on one of the rescue shows last night, a video of a diver going through an incredibly narrow passage (looked about 12"-15" height at most) to show the similarities of what the rescuers and boys have to go through at the most dangerous part..........dear god, gave me the shudders just to watch it!

These poor kids will be affected in so many ways, claustrophobia and fear of the dark being just a couple they'll probably have to deal with.

Just imagine sitting in pitch black, hungry, lost deep underground and not knowing if you are going to die a slow death down there or get rescued and when, scared stiff for what turned out to be 9 days.....just horrific!

...can only hope being kids, their resilience will help overcome this monumental trauma in their short lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve got to say, Elon Musk’s continuous attempts to inject himself and his impractical idées fixes into the cave rescue, without bothering to check on the actual situation or what the actual rescuers might find helpful, is a bit gross. And, yes, of course he’s going to do it, he’s Elon Musk and that’s what Elon Musk literally always does because he’s Elon Musk. But I do wish the media wouldn’t stroke his ego and also other, more physically tangible parts of Elon Musk every single time he does it.

Forgive my french but what the Dee Why RSL did is f....ng sickening.

I bet if you go down your local big club it'll have exactly the same setup. Sad, ****ed up, but true. :(

I’ve got to say, Elon Musk’s continuous attempts to inject himself and his impractical idées fixes into the cave rescue, without bothering to check on the actual situation or what the actual rescuers might find helpful, is a bit gross. And, yes, of course he’s going to do it, he’s Elon Musk and that’s what Elon Musk literally always does because he’s Elon Musk. But I do wish the media wouldn’t stroke his ego and also other, more physically tangible parts of Elon Musk every single time he does it.

Musk has a douchey side for sure but some of the criticism has been over emotional.

He wasn’t exactly uninvited, was actually in discussions with the rescuers, and his sub could have come in useful had the rain increased further or some of the boys not handled swimming well.

I’ll take egotistical people trying to help over bystanders.

Last edited:
Musk has a douchey side for sure but some of the criticism has been over emotional.

He was exactly uninvited, was actually in discussions with the rescuers, and his sub could have come in useful had the rain increased further or some of the boys not handled swimming well.

I’ll take egotistical people trying to help over bystanders.

He's a massive dickhead who happens to be a genius (but I'm not sure what of).

Did anyone say that he was talking to the rescuers other than him? They are experts at rescuing - he's not.

I find the whole thing really opportunistic. He should stick to trying to land rockets on their ends and making high powered batteries and stay off Twitter.

I love this first paragraph in an ABC article:

The billionaire Tesla boss really wants the world to know he's in Thailand and ready to help with the cave rescue operation, dropping off his "tiny, kid-size" submarine which is made of rocket parts, but Thai officials say it's impractical.

From reports I've seen, Elon Musk flew in some of his equipment, and offered air tunnels which were also considered.......the subs idea came about the time as the first ones came out, so weren't required..

As TBD said, those subs just may have come in handy had the monsoons caused the flooding they were expecting. Who knows.

...but at least he was offering to help, didn't see or hear of other "celebs/billionaires" doing that. I'm no fan, but the more ideas and people who contribute machinery etc in a situation like this the better........then the pros and cons can be worked out and a successful rescue undertaken, as we are seeing now.

Left field ideas should never be poohoo-d......otherwise we'd still be back in the stone age.

...but at least he was offering to help, didn't see or hear of other "celebs/billionaires" doing that. I'm no fan, but the more ideas and people who contribute machinery etc in a situation like this the better........then the pros and cons can be worked out and a successful rescue undertaken, as we are seeing now.

Non, we didn't hear about it - but we certainly heard all about his assembly of an inappropriate untested device with his Elon Musk (tm) Rocket Technology on Twitter (and as he knows --> news services) that arrived too late and wasn't asked for.

I think the only person asking questions was him asking whether he could get access to the site for a few pics.

Timmy.png

Liked or not shouldn't come into it, he was offering his services to help in any way he could. He had equipment at his disposal that may have been helpful.

Under the circumstances at the time, I couldn't knock his offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back