Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe what a numpty I am. Completely forgot that the blood service is usually screaming for volunteers - even though I'm not eligible to donate until November I can still stock fridges and be nice to those who have just donated!

It's something to do while I'm unemployed anyway. Anyone got a spare job I can have?

Have had 2 strange calls on our mobiles since yesterday. Rarely get them on our mobiles.

Yesterday was a man saying Mr MM's number was on his phone and just returning his call....then again today, only this time it was a woman with a speech impediment, same story.

I had answered the call and straight away she wanted to know who she was talking to...I said that I wanted to know who she was, never mind who I was. Said she was carol and that we had called her at 2.20 this afternoon. Silly woman. Mr MM was having a nana nap and I was watching our boys. Mr MM's phone was being charged in the kitchen at the time. Also no record of our phone calling those numbers.

If you get a strange call and they ask who they are talking to, deflect it straight back to them, don't tell them who you are.

...has anyone had calls similar to these? I've checked Reverse Australia and also googled the numbers, but nothing.

We are wondering if Telstra are having more problems like a few years ago when txt messages were getting sent to strangers etc....that was a weird one, we were getting txts from all over the place, then it was in the papers to say that it was a Telstra issue..

Have had 2 strange calls on our mobiles since yesterday. Rarely get them on our mobiles.

Yesterday was a man saying Mr MM's number was on his phone and just returning his call....then again today, only this time it was a woman with a speech impediment, same story.

I had answered the call and straight away she wanted to know who she was talking to...I said that I wanted to know who she was, never mind who I was. Said she was carol and that we had called her at 2.20 this afternoon. Silly woman. Mr MM was having a nana nap and I was watching our boys. Mr MM's phone was being charged in the kitchen at the time. Also no record of our phone calling those numbers.

If you get a strange call and they ask who they are talking to, deflect it straight back to them, don't tell them who you are.

...has anyone had calls similar to these? I've checked Reverse Australia and also googled the numbers, but nothing.

We are wondering if Telstra are having more problems like a few years ago when txt messages were getting sent to strangers etc....that was a weird one, we were getting txts from all over the place, then it was in the papers to say that it was a Telstra issue..
Phone scammers have the ability to make the number that you see, be anyone's. The "silly woman" is probably an innocent person who had a missed call from a scammer and legitimately has Mr. MM's number showing as the one that called.
It hasn't happened to me, but I know a few who have called back a mobile number of a missed call, just to get someone in another country who hadn't called them at all.
The same can be done with emails. Scammers can have their email appear as though it is coming from any email address they like.
We had a recent situation where a hacker had got into our account clerk's emails and intercepted statements and requests for invoices to be amended. They then altered one of our pdf's we send with bank details, to show a different bank account, asking customers to change their records. The email the customer gets looks like it comes from our email address, and the bank details document is ours except for the actual account details. One customer paid $7000 and another paid $18000 into someone else's account. We presume the bank accounts are probably legitimately some innocent party, as one was a small branch in Tassie and another in suburban Cairns. I guess they hack people's accounts and set up an immediate/automatic transfer to the crooks' offshore. Cunning *'s.

Anyway, my point was that they can make the sender or caller look like anyone, so when you call back, the person with that number knows nothing about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, you are right. We found out it's called spoofing (I know, sounds rude) but thats what it is apparently. We had a few more of the calls and started to realise the people were legit.

These people behind the scams are very clever scumbags, always ahead of the authorities. So terrible having to judge everything and anything these days and wonder if its real.

Last edited:
Unemployment sucks.

But it now gives me time to pursue my writing (even though I'll never get paid for it - unfortunately my publishing deal fell through when the guy who was managing my book left the company and I really don't feel like starting again).

The Children of Wellsworth School is my first real attempt at writing childrens stories.

My cat is 8 years old today.

I swear yesterday she was a 5 week old kitten who was far too big for her boots.

Plus her brother was alive. He would have been 8 today too.

My cat is 8 years old today.

I swear yesterday she was a 5 week old kitten who was far too big for her boots.

Plus her brother was alive. He would have been 8 today too.

I still remember you walking into a ressies game at Giffin Park trying to wrangle them both. Lunatic!

I still remember you walking into a ressies game at Giffin Park trying to wrangle them both. Lunatic!

That was a fun day. You'll be happy to know Cheynee is a lot better at footy nowadays.

ndM9gHi0CC3oJapeqFanmUMIFqc6bdf7ymZlmh4c71xfXvDvYAI5W9d07BqYke9iiNG1EwOHpQ=w246-h437-no

#humblebrag

Every time I've taken the Sorting Ceremony on Pottermore over the past 15 years I've always ended up in Slytherin.

Sigh.

Yer a dark witch, Kezzy.

AMBITIOUS thank you.

Dad is a Ravenclaw. Just confirming Mum and siblings.

Interesting how it works. I've always been the one who is strongly attached to my own set of rules, plus I'll always take a dare. I've always seen life as a challenge to be conquered. I can see very easily how I'm a Slytherin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back