Everybody's random stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

awaiting Volcano eruption next.:volcano::thumbsu:

I wouldn't tempt fate. The region between Melbourne and Adelaide had volcanic activity for the last 4 million years and as late as 5000 years ago. You're probably due.

I wouldn't tempt fate. The region between Melbourne and Adelaide had volcanic activity for the last 4 million years and as late as 5000 years ago. You're probably due.

Plate boundaries would have shifted significantly since then wouldn’t they?

Can’t imagine much convergent plate movement in that region now.

Plate boundaries would have shifted significantly since then wouldn’t they?

Can’t imagine much convergent plate movement in that region now.

The volcanic activity in Australia hasn't historically been plate movement but more commonly hotspot activity, similar to that birthing Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Australia_hotspot

TIL that the same hotspot was responsible for both the SE Qld/NE NSW volcanos and the SA/Vic volcanos.

Mount Gambier was the most recent volcanic activity in the region 5000-6000 years ago. Nothing since then.

But as dlanod said, there's a general region of the crust and mantle that is conducive to volcanic and tectonic activity. This latest earthquake may well be linked to it.

image012.jpg

Don't get me started on this stuff - I can geek out very easily on geology and geomorphology. It's what I wouldn't have gone into as a career had the options not been very low-paying academia or very well-paying earth-raping.

:eek: I did think of that as I posted it;)

Actually my grandaughter and her family live down near Portland. I've learnt a lot about the volcano's there and the Dinosaurs from my 8yr old great grandson ( a walking encyclopedia)

Teaching for close to 8 years now, trying to do a second degree now through Open Universities.

Love the lifestyle in Townsville. Don't love the work environment in Townsville. Oh what to do :(
I loved living in Townsville. Beautiful weather. Every other weekend out diving on the reef, great stuff.

Pity about the career prospects...

I swum from Magnetic Island to Townsville once, in a race, in a shark cage off the side of a boat.
Only time I have ever been to Townsville.
The most spine chilling thing I have done in the water is snorkel in Milne Bay PNG, at one stage I got a massive rush of adrenaline when I was on the edge of a reef and gazed over and looked down into what looked like an endless abyss and caught something out of the corner of my eye, scary to think what could come up from under you.

The most spine chilling thing I have done in the water is snorkel in Milne Bay PNG, at one stage I got a massive rush of adrenaline when I was on the edge of a reef and gazed over and looked down into what looked like an endless abyss and caught something out of the corner of my eye, scary to think what could come up from under you.
Story time.

One time I was doing a 2 week dive trip from Thursday island down to Cairns. One morning we were doing a drift dive, as there was a bit of a current down below. Drift dives are great - you go down, head along with the current, then whereever you end up you signal the boat to come pick you up - no swimming against the current.

So we went down, about 10m. And wow - that current was strong. We were absolutely ripping along. Unfortunately, we also had no real idea where the reef was. After a little bit of this we decided to call it and go back up. Just as we were about to signal the boat, I stuck my mask in the water, and said, "hey guys, the reef is about 2m behind us". As we hadn't really gotten any depth yet we decided that now we were on the reef it was fine to go down again. Once we got down that current took hold again but this time we're directly on the reef. Excellent fun - a high speed tour.

At one point we saw a group of humphead parrotfish just chilling out in the water. To watch them, on the other hand, we've all grabbed onto rocks and are splayed out like flags in a hurricane :laughing:

Anyway, we come to time and head back up. But as we're doing our safety stops at 5m - well, suddenly you feel it in your teeth. Check the depth gauge - we're now all at 15m. And dropping fast. We all start inflating our BCDs and kicking up but are just holding at 15m. And off to the side, there is a wall of bubbles - 10m long, 5 foot high - suspended in the water.

Eventually we drift out of this gyre and get to the surface. Signal to the boat, he comes and collects us. And is a bit surprised by our position, as the water is apparently 600 meters deep where we were :fearscream:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greg Swann has sold his apartment in East Melbourne for a profit apparently......stunning location, nothing between his balcony and looking across to the MCG, could nearly touch it its so close.

...also, mentioned on news story of Mason Cox who is holidaying back home in America.....how does he get to fly home for holidays in this covid enviroment?

Greg Swann has sold his apartment in East Melbourne for a profit apparently......stunning location, nothing between his balcony and looking across to the MCG, could nearly touch it its so close.

...also, mentioned on news story of Mason Cox who is holidaying back home in America.....how does he get to fly home for holidays in this covid enviroment?
Flying out is easy. It’s the getting back in that’s hard.

Starcevich flies to Switzerland after the AFLW season is finished, for example.

Flying out is easy. It’s the getting back in that’s hard.

Starcevich flies to Switzerland after the AFLW season is finished, for example.

Getting back in is pretty easy too, as long as you've got the cash to come first class.

Keep in mind a lot of those NFT sales aren't legit. Just buying and selling between themselves to increase price to sell to some sucker

Hi guys, sorry for the intrusion. And feel free to disregard/delete if this isn't the place to ask!

I'm doing a lap of the country next year and I'm trying to find good kennels to put the dog in for each capital city for a week or so. Is there anywhere in Brisbane you'd recommend? I'd rather go off personal recommendations than vague online reviews. Hoping for decent value and good care.

Cheers. :)

The company’s biggest asset as of Thursday was $2.2bn worth of a cryptocurrency called Serum. Serum’s market value was $88mn on Saturday... One thing that is really really really really really important to mention about the Serum protocol is that it was created and promoted by FTX and Alameda Research, the FTX-affiliated crypto hedge fund that was also founded by Bankman-Fried.

Ok, this bit is amazing.

Here's how this works.
Let's say I create a new cryptocurrency, called LegumeCoin, with a cap of a billion coins. I control the entire mint.

Let's say I mint 1000 and am able to sell them for $1 a pop (to whoever. Maybe some of them are secret alts. If a bunch of them are secretly my alts, that's fine. Counts anyway).
LegumeCoin now has a "market cap" of $1000 but a "fully diluted market cap" of one billion dollars.

Now, I take the rest of my unminted coins - all 999,999,000 of them - and include them on my balance sheet at $1 each.

Which is a nice way of cancelling out the massive losses I've racked up elsewhere I guess. If I can find a sucker to believe my unminted LegumeCoins are actually worth $999,999,000, anyway. Which is exactly what FTX were trying to do.

Simply astonishing.

Good day Lions supporters..

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back