Everyone calm down we will be top 4 next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also

Of course stepho didn't kick all the goals but without him we wouldn't have made the GF. Silly emoji faces and numbered sentences doesn't make your argument fact. The club has never had a player that turns his opponent inside out like Stepho. Having said that it appears that we did the right thing of getting rid of him with all the stories coming out of the hub.

P Williams, Krakouer, Didak, Billy Elliott, Degoey, Medhurst, N Davis, P Daicos, N Daicos, Neon Leon, Pendlebury all say hello

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
Very true, big fan of Murphy. Still not sure about Wilson but would love him to make it.

I don’t rate Murphy as much as I did a year or two ago seems injury prone and hasn’t developed

Wilson similar, not sure about given limited viewing time & no hype

These 2 guys are the sort of player we need to have a breakout season to take the next steps.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Murphy is the one that I’m hoping will have a break out year - he has huge potential.
Also Wilson - fantastic athlete, good size, if he also has a break out year, with your improvers above, then people will forget this trade period.
Murphy + Sier = a half eaten meat pie

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Is it just me or is he over-rated?
I'd rather Whitfield.

PS: Kelly will finish in the top 3 in the Brownlow now that I've said that and we'll have to pay a massive premium.
I agree, find him totally overrated. Not a match-winner for me, and not the guy to "replace Pendles" as some have weirdly anointed him

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Stephenson and phillips had zero impact in 2020. Treloar had minimal impact despite his huge accumulation of possessions. There is no logical reason that collingwood will be any worse in 2021 than 2020. With a fit howe, sidebottom back in action, de goey hopefully not missing half the season, sier more than half fit, and grundy not carrying an injury most of the season, the argument is actually that they should be a fair bit better. Should at the very least make the 8 in 2021

and when josh kelly arrives this time next year, trade period 2020 will be a fading memory

You're predicting no injuries to key players, I can't remember the last time that happened. While possible that is very unlikely given the evidence since our last flag.

THE SALT

Flagpies 2021
Aug 5, 2018
Leopold 3224
AFL Club
Collingwood
De Goey, Daicos, big pre seasons i think they started way early, if they get 25disp they usually tonne up. Interestingly, they didnt resign De Goey until Treloar trade. Daicos has really taken most of his opportunity and would be an inspiration to the young blokes that the club has backed in. I think Stephenson was on $600k, #1 jumper seller, from all reports went to his head a bit, and hasnt applied himself as they liked. They sacrificed him and rewarded Daics with Phillips wing, whose confidence has soared, along with his prep is starting to believe. I know Bucks footy mindset, Daics represents everything he brings as a coach, and that is "take the game on" -

I think the 2020 Coronaball season was a serious financial wake up call for AFL and the clubs. It was recognised and addressed early by Pies administration. Ed would have been looking at AFL corporate and broadcast rights deals and the uncertainty moving forward is very real. The AFL had to cut a lot of their pathways, grassroots programs from the expansion, promotion budget as their finances being asset rich, cash poor it was imperative that the major ($2.5 bill broadcast deal over 5yrs) was not jepordised as the $500mill was essential to the very survival of the game.

Clubs salary caps were being reduced across the comp. Having just resigned key players on major contracts Ed said, "we didnt want to have to go through whole list and renegotiate their contracts down the track, good luck with that, and trust me we wont be the only ones" - (which was 100% the reality clubs were faced with, came out in the news after the draft). With that in mind, like all great organisations, they got on the front foot, went to footy dept, list managers, made some tough calls that seemed to make a further mockery of our last 5 years of first round draft picks. The fans were shocked, I myself was filthy, it felt like the darkest days in my time supporting the club. Yet, when Ed speaks I listen, he was telling us it was tough love. That the decisions now were made in long term interests, thats the reality of fast moving professional sport.

As tough as it was to lose Treloar who loved the Pies, (the supporters him), rising star Stephenson, and Phillips whose 2018 was superb, we had to look at the young talent we had and support that moving forward. The talent in 2020 draft was deep and our list managers identified that we needed to get into it aggressively. With our 2021 Nick Daicos (father son) firming as one of the best in draft, the salary squeeze became a firesale, so that we had some chips to play with come draft night. They went in with two plans, pre and post Reef McInnes. When the got to their first pick and Reef hadnt been bid on it allowed Derek and Ned starting with 14, 16, 65, 70, 75, 92 to wheel and deal future picks and acquire 4 players that they had identified inside their top 20.

17. Oliver Henry (Geelong Falcons),
19. Finlay Macrae (Oakleigh Chargers),
23. Reef McInnes (Oakleigh Chargers),
30. Caleb Poulter (Woodville-West Torrens),

Which they then complemented with
31. Liam McMahon (Northern Knights),
44. Beau McCreery (South Adelaide).

As well as quality Rookie draftees: Jack Ginnivan (Bendigo Pioneers), Isaac Chugg (Launceston)

Thats a future dynasty were building -- 26yrs and under

Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Maynard, J.Daicos, N.Daicos, C.Brown, T.Brown, Kelly, Rantall, Quaynor, Noble, Murphy, Tohill, Keane, Ruscoe, Sier, Bianco

It shall be known as The father son, brothers of, and Chugg Dynasty

Greatest club in the land - FLAGPIES!!

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m comfortable with the Treloar trade, only peeved at how we cheap we sold Phillips for... but the Stephenson trade will haunt us

Don’t know how we are gonna finish top 4 when we are bottom 4 for marks inside 50?

And how often do lists with 23 players having played 23 games or less... finish top 4?

Is it just me or is he over-rated?
I'd rather Whitfield.

PS: Kelly will finish in the top 3 in the Brownlow now that I've said that and we'll have to pay a massive premium.
Why do you curse us;)

mikedaicos35

Rookie
Jun 7, 2014
I agree with the OP and I think 2020 should have been our premiership year, COVID derailed it and I feel Collingwood were dudded the most out of any team. We were primed and right in the premiership window with a nice mix of experience and talent on every line.

Look at Round 1 v Dogs, we absolutely destroyed them when they were the hype team of the offseason, we set them back months. We were slick, moved the ball fast, got it in high and long into the forward line and had winners all over the ground. Round 2 was 2 months later and we came back pretty flat against Richmond, would have won that game in normal circumstances but was just a weird night (Riewoldt not making the distance from 25 meters). Round 3 - back to our best, pumped St Kilda, another up and comer and put them back in their spot. Round 4 - GWS, here is where it went south and we lost our handle on the season. Victoria was about to go back into lockdown and we lost Howe for the season, we never really covered him and we lost his rebound out of defence which is crucial for our game plan. Apart from some glimpses we never really got back to our best and the hub was a slog.

I strongly believe the Gabba did not suit our game plan where the G and Optus Stadium do. We gather possession at the contest and get it out into space quickly, we have small skilful players (eg Daicos, Brown etc) who can work their magic in space. There was no space on the Gabba and we were easily clogged up by defensive gameplans. Richmond and Geelong always struggle against us on the bigger ground, hence why I think they dominated last year.

When we are back on the G we have proven we can match it or beat the best (Richmond, Geelong, West Coast etc) plus the return of Howe, another year of experience in Quaynor, a fit De Goey, Moore going to another level plus some very talented youngsters we are absolutely in the hunt in 2021.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I agree with the OP and I think 2020 should have been our premiership year, COVID derailed it and I feel Collingwood were dudded the most out of any team. We were primed and right in the premiership window with a nice mix of experience and talent on every line.

Look at Round 1 v Dogs, we absolutely destroyed them when they were the hype team of the offseason, we set them back months. We were slick, moved the ball fast, got it in high and long into the forward line and had winners all over the ground. Round 2 was 2 months later and we came back pretty flat against Richmond, would have won that game in normal circumstances but was just a weird night (Riewoldt not making the distance from 25 meters). Round 3 - back to our best, pumped St Kilda, another up and comer and put them back in their spot. Round 4 - GWS, here is where it went south and we lost our handle on the season. Victoria was about to go back into lockdown and we lost Howe for the season, we never really covered him and we lost his rebound out of defence which is crucial for our game plan. Apart from some glimpses we never really got back to our best and the hub was a slog.

I strongly believe the Gabba did not suit our game plan where the G and Optus Stadium do. We gather possession at the contest and get it out into space quickly, we have small skilful players (eg Daicos, Brown etc) who can work their magic in space. There was no space on the Gabba and we were easily clogged up by defensive gameplans. Richmond and Geelong always struggle against us on the bigger ground, hence why I think they dominated last year.

When we are back on the G we have proven we can match it or beat the best (Richmond, Geelong, West Coast etc) plus the return of Howe, another year of experience in Quaynor, a fit De Goey, Moore going to another level plus some very talented youngsters we are absolutely in the hunt in 2021.

Whilst I agree with the bulk of your post, being in the hunt relies on a relatively injury free (and or 'incident' free) year and the bulk of our list having 'good' years. Being Collingwood one can never have confidence in that coming to fruition, and then there's our game style. This is really the crux of our problems add that with list imbalance i:e lack of forward potency then there's a lot to cover and a reliance on 'planets aligning' to bare fruit.

You mentioned playing well at Optus, the in season game against wc was a glaring example of our game style problem. Ist quarter had em on toast, on their own deck - that is not chump change. No one could go with us IF we play the way we should, but no then fell off a cliff after the 1st, serious questions there! So why the sudden change after qtr 1? Run out of gas after 1 qtr? What is it that the playing group returns to slow deliberate movement that ultimately costs? Is it instruction or is the ideal game not sustainable?

Answer those and you maybe onto something, until then I don't share your optimism.

mikedaicos35

Rookie
Jun 7, 2014
Whilst I agree with the bulk of your post, being in the hunt relies on a relatively injury free (and or 'incident' free) year and the bulk of our list having 'good' years. Being Collingwood one can never have confidence in that coming to fruition, and then there's our game style. This is really the crux of our problems add that with list imbalance i:e lack of forward potency then there's a lot to cover and a reliance on 'planets aligning' to bare fruit.

You mentioned playing well at Optus, the in season game against wc was a glaring example of our game style problem. Ist quarter had em on toast, on their own deck - that is not chump change. No one could go with us IF we play the way we should, but no then fell off a cliff after the 1st, serious questions there! So why the sudden change after qtr 1? Run out of gas after 1 qtr? What is it that the playing group returns to slow deliberate movement that ultimately costs? Is it instruction or is the ideal game not sustainable?

Answer those and you maybe onto something, until then I don't share your optimism.
From memory the in season West Coast game was one of those where everything goes wrong and everything goes right for the opposition. WCE kicking set shots out of their ass, plus we lost our skipper before the game and was replaced by an inferior player in Atu who stunk it up.

I just don't think we should judge Collingwood on 2020's roller coaster and frustrating season. Obviously it was difficult for all teams but the pies just weren't themselves. The lack of depth was concerning so yes injuries are key for us being competitive however I find the negativity unwarranted.

Back on the G - different story. Our player age and experience mix is strong and they know how to win. Guess we might get a glimpse today!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
From memory the in season West Coast game was one of those where everything goes wrong and everything goes right for the opposition. WCE kicking set shots out of their ass, plus we lost our skipper before the game and was replaced by an inferior player in Atu who stunk it up.

I just don't think we should judge Collingwood on 2020's roller coaster and frustrating season. Obviously it was difficult for all teams but the pies just weren't themselves. The lack of depth was concerning so yes injuries are key for us being competitive however I find the negativity unwarranted.

Back on the G - different story. Our player age and experience mix is strong and they know how to win. Guess we might get a glimpse today!

So I guess you missed the 1st qtr of that game? (without Pendles) And the questions I asked around that?

Not sure what negativity you're referring to.

Look I'm not having a go at you, I just find your thoughts of a very strong performance (which is very possible) will rely on all things going our way when compared to other flag contenders - that is not usually the case.

If we can abstain from shooting ourselves in the foot (not confident on that), and play the way we should (seems we're averse to doing so) - like the 1st qtr of that wc game (and maintain it) then there is no reason top 4 can't be achieved.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I know this trade period looks absolutely horrendous but keep an open mind here guys.
Treloar : hammy is questionable looks good for a about 10 15 games a season from here on end.
Phillips: please I think we won this trade pick 65 is great for someone who just runs also we got a potential superstar in rantall who can fill his role in the short term.
Stephenson: has been found out cannot put on weight on is most likely finished as a footballer.

Sier
T brown
C brown
Daicos
Rantall
Bianco
Kelly
All of them to take big steps and fill the easy void of those 3 above plus we get reef and some other kid the club obviously have eyes in the draft .
Trust the system you can laugh at me all you want but we will be top 4 next year stop sooking you sideshows

How't the season panning our for you champ?

Biggest lock for a 10th to 15th finish if I've ever seen one.

Freo is going to improve big time with all their young stars.
Melbourne has the best mid in the comp, if Ben Brown clicks, they'll improve.
GWS a huge unknown, down year after a GF loss? Bounce back?
Carlton had a good trade period, lots of improvement in young players.
If Rowell, Luko and King have big leaps, the Suns will rise.

The rest of the top 8 improved.

10th to 15th might even be generous lol

Good call.
It seems your take on reality is a lot better than the OP of this thread.
‘Top 4 😂

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
When he said top 4, he meant top 4 in the draft picks, of which we don’t have, because we traded it, for TWO late picks, to GWS, who beat us, with their VFL team, in MELB, for their FIRST win..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back