Everything Off-Season in Domestic Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the extent to which Cricket Australia and Cricket NSW have colluded to screw cricket in the ACT (by allowing - nay, suggesting - that ACT representative players play in Sydney), I would've liked to have seen CA perhaps base this CA XI out of the AIS (or even out of University of Canberra who are doing a lot of work to try and become a US-style college in their sporting set up) and reprise the Comets.

There's not much in a name to anyone else, but it would've meant something to people in the ACT, particularly those directly involved in the cricket community who lost the ability to represent their community overnight (because from memory, the other part of the edict is that ACT representative teams are essentially ACT + country NSW).

Any news on players for the CA XI in the ODD cup?
Not yet.

But I'd expect Alex Keath will definitely get a run, to keep him from considering trying football out instead, even though he said he is going to stick with cricket you never know.

Not yet.

But I'd expect Alex Keath will definitely get a run, to keep him from considering trying football out instead, even though he said he is going to stick with cricket you never know.

If Keath goes to football than good on him.

Pick the youngsters like they said they would

Queensland Cricket tweeting that Usman Khawaja is their new captain for the coming season, replacing James Hopes. Good call imho, Seems to be very well liked and highly thought of in the Bulls squad from what I have heard around the club cricket scene.

Potentially a big summer ahead for him and Queensland. I hear they are training the house down under Phil Jaques who is apparently a stickler for detail.

keith, hill, clinton peake. all talented younsters. wtf happened??

They realised that there techniques weren't ready to play against the big boys.

Take the Victorian shield winning team

1. Quiney (VIC)
2. Rogers (WA)
3. Stoinis (WA)
4. Hussey (WA
5. Handscomb (VIC)
6. Wade (TAS
7. Christian (NSW)

The Victorian system isn't producing young batsmen equipped to take the step up. Looking like a talented young gun in that system doesn't mean that much anymore if they're not getting prepared properly.

Practice games galore up in Brisbane this week and next with all the States coming through to train and play at the National Cricket Centre and Allan Border Field complex.

State Training Camp matches this week: 25 August – SA v QLD – AB Field 26 August – QLD v NSW – AB Field 27 August – SA – v NSW – AB Field 29 August – TAS v WA (AB Field) and NSW v SA (Toombul) 30 August – VIC v TAS (Toombul)

Haven't seen which games are on next week but one of the QC blokes I was standing near said that were a few more matches on at ABF involving WA, Tas and Qld.

I'm mainly interested in the Queensland games so have been keeping an eye on Twitter.

Popped down at lunchtime just before to watch Ben Cutting and Charlie Hemphrey bash a few balls out of AB Field against NSW. Qld recovered from 3-34 to be 8-284 with Cutting 85 off 75, Labuschagne 61 off 49, Nathan Reardon 45; Sandhu 4-82 from 10 and Lalor 2-48 from 10. Gurinder was bowling pace when I was there, but had 16 taken off what must have been his final over by Hemphrey, who he got out off what I think was his last ball.

NSW were captained today by Nick Maddinson too, while Usman Khawaja was Qld skipper.

<updated with result> Qld bowled out NSW for 199 - Eddie Cowan made 85, Nick Larkin 42; Ben Cutting took 5-32 from 10 overs to have a very good all-round game, and Billy Stanlake picked up 2-38 from 8 overs.

I see from game one yesterday, the Bulls beat the Redbacks. Qld made 222, with Labuschagne making 80-odd. Redbacks were bowled out for 150 with Lehmann top-scoring with 32. Young Qld leggie Mitch Swepson took 4-38.

Last edited:
Victoria's squad for pre-season matches:

Commonwealth Bank Bushrangers pre-season tour squad
Patrick Ashton
Aaron Ayre
Scott Boland
Matthew Brown
Jackson Coleman
Travis Dean
Seb Gotch
Ian Holland
Jon Holland
Robert Quiney
Matt Short
Ryan Sidebottom
Cameron Stevenson
Chris Tremain
Cameron White

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard at club cricket over the weekend that the Matador teams will be out next week. Bloke from QC that I was yarning too said that all the States would pick and submit their squads and then CA would pick the CA XI after that and release their side last. Qld blokes get two rounds of club cricket to impress so that is handy for them.

I thought Wells actually has made some good progress in the last couple of years. I was surprised Tassie cut him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back