Everything Off-Season in Domestic Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I thought Wells actually has made some good progress in the last couple of years. I was surprised Tassie cut him.

He'd actually been in and around the Shield team for nearly 10 years now and never achieved anything. And unfortunately the lack of depth in our batting isn't good enough that we can afford to contract guys for the benefit of the Matador Cup (because CA evidently doesn't care about that any more) and for the Hurricanes (who he's still signed for, and who theoretically are supposed to be a different entity).

He's kind of the batting version of Ben Laughlin last summer.

I'm surprised if he's moved to Perth looking for another opportunity though. Going back a few years he seemed fair ambivalent about whether he was going to be contracted, I think he was quite happy working at the bank, playing footy in winter, and playing for Tassie when picked. I actually always thought it was part of his problem - he never really had to be that motivated, he never had "the fear". Maybe it'll change now that his footy opportunity is long gone, particularly if he's invested that much in another chance at first class cricket.

there was an article the other day (can't find it to link to) which suggested that the State vs State concept in the Shield doesn't work anymore, and we should re-brand the teams based on the capital cities (like the Big Bash). Also suggested to have 2 teams in Sydney and Melbourne.

I hope this never goes ahead.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
there was an article the other day (can't find it to link to) which suggested that the State vs State concept in the Shield doesn't work anymore, and we should re-brand the teams based on the capital cities (like the Big Bash). Also suggested to have 2 teams in Sydney and Melbourne.

That would just kill domestic cricket entirely

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
In what way do they represent states rather than cities in any case though? It hasn't been the case that a kid gets picked for the state out of country grade cricket forever - you always have to move to the capital city competition, and most are encouraged to do it as early as possible. Additionally, apart from an occasional token game in a regional area, they don't play anywhere other than the capital city either. (I reckon you have to go back over 20 years to Ricky Ponting to find someone who was genuinely picked straight from the "non-main" grade competition in the state, although I'd be fascinated to hear if anyone has a more recent example.)

This way you'd get 2 extra teams, and you've got 2 more pitches to play on that you can have some variety with.

That said, I don't really support it if the aim is to try and build interest in the domestic competition. People don't have the time or interest to go and watch 4-day domestic cricket.

I guess for me it comes down to the aim of the proposal. If it's about trying to build interest in the competition, it's a no. If it's about improving development, opportunities and pathways through to the national teams... then maybe it's a maybe?

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Victoria can't produce enough talent for two shield teams.

NSW almost certainly could - ACT and southern Country NSW or even ACT + Country NSW playing out of Manuka Oval.

Yep, it was in The Age. Terrible idea.
Victoria can't produce enough talent for two shield teams.

NSW almost certainly could - ACT and southern Country NSW or even ACT + Country NSW playing out of Manuka Oval.
This. NSW are the only side that can produce the talent.

Jun 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Warm-up game held yesterday between QLD and SA.

QLD 3/349 (50)
J Floros 123 (68)
M Labuschagne 123 (110)
S Truloff 47 (69)
J Peirson 30 (34)

E Opie 2/82 (10)
T Andrews 1/75 (10)
T Cooper 1/57 (7)

SA 10/129 (27.2)

J Dalton 21 (25)
J Weatherald 20 (24)
A Carey 18 (29)
S Raphael 14 (16)

L Feldman 3/32 (6.2)
M Connolly 2/16 (4)
B Doggett 2/35 (7)

idel one

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2008
Brisbane
Although to be fair, the Redbacks won the game the day before when they defended 294. The Bulls fell two runs short. Marnus Labuschagne hit a hundred for the Bulls; so two tons in two days for the local hero (games were at Redlands where he has played since coming over from South Africa when he was in primary school).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Qld defeated NSW on D/L yesterday on the Sunshine Coast; Pat Cummins bowled, 0-21 from six overs I think I saw Cricket NSW tweet.

He looked lively. His action has changed somewhat. Doesn't seemed to have as much of a pronounced jump in his load up and it seems the focus is on getting it as smooth as possible, rather than an explosion of energy.

Jun 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some more warm-ups. Some of the scorecards look weird, so not sure exactly what happened.

WA vs VIC (31st Aug)

VIC 10/251 (47.3)
D Christian 89 (62)
I Holland 57 (69)
M Harris 43 (50)

A Turner 3/23 (8)
AJ Tye 3/36 (8.3)
J Nicholas 2/6 (4)

WA 6/248 (49.1)
J Wells 73 (116)
N Hobson 70 (87)
J Whittaker 41 (40)

X Crone 4/22 (6.2)
J Muirhead 1/31 (5)
J Holland 1/37 (10)

TAS vs VIC (2nd Sept)

TAS 10/231 (47.3)
J Doran 43 (75)
B McDermott 33 (34)
B Webster 32 (30)
H Kingston 30 (39)

F Ahmed 3/38 (9)
J Coleman 2/40 (10)
X Crone 2/53 (7.3)

VIC 2/228 (45.5)
C White 97 (114)
M Harris 80* (91)
R Quiney 32 (41)

H Kingston 1/26 (6)
X Doherty 1/36 (6)

Interesting that Doran was keeping for this game. Dunk and McDermott were both playing as well.

Last edited:
Some more warm-ups. Some of the scorecards look weird, so not sure exactly what happened.

WA vs VIC (31st Aug)

VIC 10/251 (47.3)
D Christian 89 (62)
I Holland 57 (69)
M Harris 43 (50)

A Turner 3/23 (8)
AJ Tye 3/36 (8.3)
J Nicholas 2/6 (4)
Nicholas only 4 overs - injured?

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

WA vs VIC (31st Aug)

VIC 10/251 (47.3)
D Christian 89 (62)
I Holland 57 (69)
M Harris 43 (50)

A Turner 3/23 (8)
AJ Tye 3/36 (8.3)
J Nicholas 2/6 (4)

WA 6/248 (49.1)
J Wells 73 (116)
N Hobson 70 (87)
J Whittaker 41 (40)

X Crone 4/22 (6.2)
J Muirhead 1/31 (5)
J Holland 1/37 (10)

TAS vs VIC (2nd Sept)

TAS 10/231 (47.3)
J Doran 43 (75)
B McDermott 33 (34)
B Webster 32 (30)
H Kingston 30 (39)

F Ahmed 3/38 (9)
J Coleman 2/40 (10)
X Crone 2/53 (7.3)

VIC 2/228 (45.5)
C White 97 (114)
M Harris 80* (91)
R Quiney 32 (41)

H Kingston 1/26 (6)
X Doherty 1/36 (6)

Interesting that Doran was keeping for this game. Dunk and McDermott were both playing as well.
Quineys 32! How did the innings stack up against his magnificent 9?:drunk:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1057147.html

A last-minute bid by Glenn Maxwell to move from Victoria to New South Wales for the 2016-17 season has been blocked by the Bushrangers, who chose to enforce the terms of his Cricket Australia contract.

ESPNcricinfo has learned that Maxwell expressed interest in leaving Victoria for New South Wales during the recent Sri Lanka tour. The approach followed his dumping from the ODI team and the accompanying message from the selectors that he had to become a more consistent batsman to regain his place in 50-over matches and also to challenge for a Test berth.

By way of addressing this, Maxwell sought a move to New South Wales for a change of scene and a chance to advance his maturation as a batsman. New South Wales are believed to have been open to the offer at first, but not pursued further once it became clear Victoria would enforce Maxwell's contract.

All CA-contracted players have a six-week window from the time their deal kicks in on July 1 of each year to state which domestic team they will be playing for in the forthcoming season. However, after that point they are bound to the state they had played for the previous season - Maxwell's request to move states was effectively delivered six weeks too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back