Sport Everything Soccer

Remove this Banner Ad

At 6 am on a Sunday? Really?

Opposition Leader Chris Minns called for big screens to be set up outside the Opera House and at other key locations.

"The Socceroos' historic performance at the World Cup has brought our country and state together," he tweeted.

"It's only right that everyone in our state gets to celebrate together too."

But an Opera House spokesperson said the forecourt would be "in use" on Sunday morning and was unavailable.

Sounds like a yeh nah we arnt cleaning up that mess..

Once again a small bunch of dickhead supporters do nothing at all to help the game.
Yep, they complain about biased coverage towards AFL / NRL fans from the media, then gift-wrap this opportunity for said media to throw every negative stereotype in their direction.

The fallout from this is going to be huge.

Did old mate think nothing would come from throwing a flare back into the mob?
Should old mate expect to have the flare thrown in his area ?
Did he actually aim to throw it into the crow or simply was it a back hand throw that went too far.
Anyway it was still morons who then decided to take it a step too far. They like to throw flares but not see them come back at them ?

Should old mate expect to have the flare thrown in his area ?
Did he actually aim to throw it into the crow or simply was it a back hand throw that went too far.
Anyway it was still morons who then decided to take it a step too far. They like to throw flares but not see them come back at them ?

At the end of the day in bigger picture, both sets of fans were about to leave the stadium in protest at the league selling its soul anyway, it was the classic powder keg waiting for a spark, very combustible environment.

If you have a feel for it you probably don't chuck a flare back at them... Big difference chucking a flare on an open field compared to a mass of people

Not condoning behaviour whatsoever, they are just dumb kids looking for trouble, hopefully this is the catalyst to fix the whole code

At the end of the day in bigger picture, both sets of fans were about to leave the stadium in protest at the league selling its soul anyway, it was the classic powder keg waiting for a spark, very combustible environment.

If you have a feel for it you probably don't chuck a flare back at them... Big difference chucking a flare on an open field compared to a mass of people

Not condoning behaviour whatsoever, they are just dumb kids looking for trouble, hopefully this is the catalyst to fix the whole code
The sport needs money. They had to sell the GF. Nearly all the codes in Australian do it. It is not selling their sole. It is survival and it was a 3 year deal. Has the AFL or NRL sold their sole for doing GF deals ?
The players had a feel for it as most where against it either but maybe they are sick of the crap coming over the fence. It is not just dumb kids looking for trouble. It is a small percentage of round ball fans who can not get it through their dumb heads that their behavior is hurting the game.
I have watched the footage from a couple of angles and I still doubt he was aiming to throw the flare at anyone. It landed just in the front row. Not like he turned around and took aim.
It was this sort of BS behavior that killed the old NSL.

The sport needs money. They had to sell the GF. Nearly all the codes in Australian do it. It is not selling their sole. It is survival and it was a 3 year deal. Has the AFL or NRL sold their sole for doing GF deals ?
The players had a feel for it as most where against it either but maybe they are sick of the crap coming over the fence. It is not just dumb kids looking for trouble. It is a small percentage of round ball fans who can not get it through their dumb heads that their behavior is hurting the game.
I have watched the footage from a couple of angles and I still doubt he was aiming to throw the flare at anyone. It landed just in the front row. Not like he turned around and took aim.
It was this sort of BS behavior that killed the old NSL.

It's a bit disingenuous saying did the NRL or AFL sell souls, we both know their leagues had already been running from a localised location where the bulk of the teams resided. It's a legacy issue that the grags finals remain. The a-league was a startup that had a point of difference, allowing the top ranked side the bonus of hosting the flagship event (probably something the other codes would kill for if it could be managed) ...but they went and screwed that like they screw everything.

Biggest self mutilating code we have, it surely wouldn't surprise if there were sleeper cells from league or AFL in there pulling the strings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are they even allowed buckets, fireworks and flares in the stadium anyway? I know Europe is different and they have flares at the F1s (though they’ve been trying to stamp it out for visibility reasons).

And where was security? Bag checks at the door, security wand over your person, “Call this number if you notice any antisocial behaviour”, etc etc. seems to be standard fare at any event you go to in Melbourne these days

Why are they even allowed buckets, fireworks and flares in the stadium anyway? I know Europe is different and they have flares at the F1s (though they’ve been trying to stamp it out for visibility reasons).

And where was security? Bag checks at the door, security wand over your person, “Call this number if you notice any antisocial behaviour”, etc etc. seems to be standard fare at any event you go to in Melbourne these days

We are talking about a league where they still sit on plastic Bunnings chairs... A bucket is par for the course here..

I think part of the problem is we are just decades behind Europe in many aspects, I mean even the ultras over there have mainly toned down their s**t in favour of bringing their club a form of respect. How many times now to you hear 'that was class from the active section there' when they have done a good deed or been sporting in some way toward an opposition.

They don't do this s**t any more (save for a few hot bed fixtures with the blockheads in a few places on European midweeks)

It was the same at the AO tennis when the Serb and croat kids were throwing chairs at each other wearing their dads old army berets... The tennis players were saying what the hell are you doing? We haven't seen this for decades!

It's almost like we have got a bunch of ethnic kids living out what they think their dads did back home, or something. I dunno I can't quite succinct it

It's a bit disingenuous saying did the NRL or AFL sell souls, we both know their leagues had already been running from a localised location where the bulk of the teams resided. It's a legacy issue that the grags finals remain. The a-league was a startup that had a point of difference, allowing the top ranked side the bonus of hosting the flagship event (probably something the other codes would kill for if it could be managed) ...but they went and screwed that like they screw everything.

Biggest self mutilating code we have, it surely wouldn't surprise if there were sleeper cells from league or AFL in there pulling the strings
The point of difference was obviously not financially viable.

The point of difference was obviously not financially viable.

We are probably on the same side, we want what's best for the game but surely there are ways to go about it... Consultation being one. Put out an open tender if you must, you might even get a bidding war and a higher price?

Nah , it's just typical cloak and dagger Sydney Mafia stuff...the FFA are Sydney centric and always will be (even though this wasn't their doing i know)

At the end of the day they get some money but at what cost? If you disenfranchise the fans you'll lose in the end. Especially when it's an all Melbourne final in Sydney and no mug can afford (or can be bothered going)

Haven't we just been through this with the European super league? Piss the fans off enough and they will eventually kick back, unfortunately it manifested itself last night in that ugly stuff

I think the buckets are for putting out the flares. They have some sort of white powder (fire *ant??) in them and were on the ground behind the goals.

We are probably on the same side, we want what's best for the game but surely there are ways to go about it... Consultation being one. Put out an open tender if you must, you might even get a bidding war and a higher price?

Nah , it's just typical cloak and dagger Sydney Mafia stuff...the FFA are Sydney centric and always will be (even though this wasn't their doing i know)

At the end of the day they get some money but at what cost? If you disenfranchise the fans you'll lose in the end. Especially when it's an all Melbourne final in Sydney and no mug can afford (or can be bothered going)

Haven't we just been through this with the European super league? Piss the fans off enough and they will eventually kick back, unfortunately it manifested itself last night in that ugly stuff
They need the money. It is that simple. I would think after 3 years the next deal will be bigger. The round ball footy in this country has been battling to stay off life support . That is the reality. I do not really follow a team anymore. I did follow Melbourne Heart but being a Spurs fan I was not following them to the City brand. have sort of followed the Wanderers since mainly because they play in the red and black.

The crowds will be average. You can guarantee that. But the money made selling the game is just too good to give up. Commercial reality.
Get ready for Cricket to head to 10 and Paramount if seven and Fox do not pony up as well.
The European super league was a different beast. That was the mega rich wanting to be bigger and not a struggling comp looking for a way not to fall into a black hole.
Can not remember who it was but I caught the back end of a conversation on SEN Fan last week that was about the commercial gain needed to grow the game along with creating an event that is locked in. It was interesting to listen to the other side. For what it is worth I would probably go to a GF at AAMI park of Marvel with two interstate teams in it.

They need the money. It is that simple. I would think after 3 years the next deal will be bigger. The round ball footy in this country has been battling to stay off life support . That is the reality. I do not really follow a team anymore. I did follow Melbourne Heart but being a Spurs fan I was not following them to the City brand. have sort of followed the Wanderers since mainly because they play in the red and black.

The crowds will be average. You can guarantee that. But the money made selling the game is just too good to give up. Commercial reality.
Get ready for Cricket to head to 10 and Paramount if seven and Fox do not pony up as well.
The European super league was a different beast. That was the mega rich wanting to be bigger and not a struggling comp looking for a way not to fall into a black hole.
Can not remember who it was but I caught the back end of a conversation on SEN Fan last week that was about the commercial gain needed to grow the game along with creating an event that is locked in. It was interesting to listen to the other side. For what it is worth I would probably go to a GF at AAMI park of Marvel with two interstate teams in it.

I was an inaugural heart fan as well, I was overseas when the aleague started so had zero connection to victory when I got back, so I jumped on board the heart, at those early games every two bit victory mug would call me a turn coat and wanna fight! Peanuts.

Same as you, I couldnt follow anything attached to city so I pulled the pin, I was pretty much lost to the local game from there. I still want it to get its act together though!

They don't do this s**t any more (save for a few hot bed fixtures with the blockheads in a few places on European midweeks)
Nah they still do in Europe. England has had problems this year with supporters invading the pitch and one player got knocked out by a head butting him.

I think the buckets are for putting out the flares. They have some sort of white powder (fire ******ant??) in them and were on the ground behind the goals.
Yeah, but if you don’t allow flares and fireworks then you don’t need buckets of sand to put them out either

People organising it and the venue host are both rank amateurs with crowd security at large events it seems.

Yeah, but if you don’t allow flares and fireworks then you don’t need buckets of sand to put them out either

People organising it and the venue host are both rank amateurs with crowd security at large events it seems.

What hope have they got stopping flares from sneaking in....they couldn't even stop people who were already life banned from getting in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back