Movies & TV Everything Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

sorry for diverting..

at the start of TFA on Jakku, Lor San Tekka hands po the piece of the map

do we ever find out or know where he got this from?

did luke leave hansel crumbs wanting to be found?

Member of the 'Church of the Force' (not force user, force believer I guess?) that helped Luke in his travels and with the reestablishment of the new republic after RotJ. I haven't actually read the EU stuff that goes into more detail about it but I've assume that's how he got the map, he either helped Luke find Ach-To in the first place or knew he was there by some other means.

Luke doesn't leave crumbs, it's the map to the first Jedi Temple rather than a literal map to him. "Those who knew him best say he went off to look for the first Jedi Temple"

Presumably Lor San Tekka doesn't agree with his choice to retreat from everything... note of course that Tekka knows Ben Solo as well.

Luke doesn't leave crumbs, it's the map to the first Jedi Temple rather than a literal map to him. "Those who knew him best say he went off to look for the first Jedi Temple"

Presumably Lor San Tekka doesn't agree with his choice to retreat from everything... note of course that Tekka knows Ben Solo as well.

Seems to have known him a long time , quoted how old he looked or something

Lord Nicholson you are a pretty big fan and seem to like the new film quite alot compared to TFA.
What is your opinion of Rogue one and the planned Solo and possible Kenobi films?

Saw some mention of Neeson open to returning and i wouldnt mind seeing him playing off Ewan as a force Ghost in a kenobi solo film.
Curious on your thoughts as to whether the movie is warranted?

Lord Nicholson you are a pretty big fan and seem to like the new film quite alot compared to TFA.
What is your opinion of Rogue one and the planned Solo and possible Kenobi films?

Saw some mention of Neeson open to returning and i wouldnt mind seeing him playing off Ewan as a force Ghost in a kenobi solo film.
Curious on your thoughts as to whether the movie is warranted?

I really like Rogue One but it scratches an old EU itch more than anything in terms of tone and content. It's... troubled as a film on its own but the Battle of Scarif is such a delight and I actually think it does a really good job of bridging ROTS and ANH, particularly in terms of how Vader is treated.

Solo, who knows? We don't have long to see.

I'm on board for a Kenobi film provided it's a remake of Sanjuro, although I feel like there might be an actual popular revolt if yet another Star Wars film was relatively violence-free (it's important to remind yourself just how much shooting happens in the original!)

I'd be delighted if Neeson came back as a Force ghost, I thought he brought real gravitas to what can't have been an easy script to deliver on.

However my dream last shot of Episode IX is
Kylo, then Rey, then the Force Ghosts of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, and then finally Luke walking up the steps to the first temple on Ahch-To in silhouette against the binary sunset
so yeah that should happen

Also I want Temura Morrison in IX as a really old clone who Hux has as his new military advisor, since Ade Edmondson's advice was actually rubbish (NB: YES ITS BOBA FETT AAAAAAH)

However my dream last shot of Episode IX is
Kylo, then Rey, then the Force Ghosts of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin, and then finally Luke walking up the steps to the first temple on Ahch-To in silhouette against the binary sunset
so yeah that should happen

A proper ending? Nah, not gonna happen.

When would Kenobi be set?

Be with him on tattoine pre meeting Luke?
Hope so.
The comic has recently addressed his time there and done it really well. Him hiding in plain sight amongst the locals yet always finding ways to either protect Luke or give him a hand when he's struggling unbeknownst to him.

Also threw in a Wookie Bounty Hunter called Black Krrsantan who is a powerhouse that Jabba hires to flush out Obi Wan. Top notch story.

I've got something I cant quite succinct, but ill try - feel free to shoot me down or may even help!?

One of the arguments against the new film, and the previous, even the prequels was the stilted, awkward or even misplaced attempts at humour.

I mean the Po/Hux stuff was diabolical, some of the lines Finn says when he is close to death - just feel weird, you are nearly dead and you are joking?? the bad guys bantering and joking felt wrong too

anyway, not the point of my post.

My boy wanted to watch star wars yesterday - a new hope, first time. So we sat down and watched it.... it opened my eyes

That exact humour was always there... but it worked, when it hasn't in future editions, but why?

Stuff like Han, about to be crushed in a compactor
"well one things for sure, we are all going to be a lot thinner"
"can somebody get this walking carpet pout of my way?"
all the your worshipulness stuff, oh what a great smell you have discovered.... all that stuff
even the storm troopers - "whats gong on? ohh probably another drill"

if it were in tlj, people would be up in arms! They were up in arms!

I got to thinking. The original move, it has something, it has a knockabout charm, an unpolished charm, its like its been made in somebodies garage, nobody seems to be taking it too seriously - even the actors, nobody knew what it was going to look like - sci fi dramas were hardly a huge genre - they were probably all feeling their way through it themselves - but still it almost had a feel of a space buddy cop/road movie feel to it, nearly pseudo comedy..in a way. I know I sound like im trying to degrade it but im not.

There was no grand standing, no grand proclamations, no earth shattering speeches about religion or ethos.. it didn't feel serious, it almost felt as the actors were doing everything with a huge slice of mirth, like they didn't really believe in what they were doing either - so it felt a little less serious and the chemistry and their jokes felt right.

in this way the corny cheesy comedic lines fitted, like a huge period style black adder show.

but more to the point, I think there is another reason

one character. Han

in all of the films, every single one, I think Han is the only character that doesn't really want to be there, hes a mercenary! hes just in it for the money, he doesn't believe in the force or the cause - he spends most of his time with his feet up taking the piss out of it and making wise cracks. Its a big pressure reliever and comedic outlet.

think about everyone else in the other movies, every other character is dead serious, either jedi or freedom fighters waging war - people like that making wise cracks, it doesn't quite fit.

so then we move onto the new films, all epic bombastic block busters, all very wordy and serious all ultra polished and concise and rigid - it feels like it outgrew those humble knockabout beginnings, of the affable characters making jokes and not taking it too serious - yet they have still tried to keep that cheesy comedic dialog in there and it dosent quite fit any more.

that's just my over thought take on it.

I didn't quite get across what was in my head but I tried.

does any of this resonate?

I think people way over think things (not something I could ever accuse you of Howard Moon ;)). I think that the movie was pretty funny. Yes, it was a bit try hardy some times, but mostly I think they got the humour about right.

I think it's something which is very simple that Howard has touched on: at the time of the originals an adventure film that didn't take itself seriously was unique.

Now there are so many imitators, and the Marvel films have taken bathos to a ludicrous extreme since they all stem from the success of Iron Man.

If Lucasfilm had been bought out by Warner Bros rather than Disney you would see a different reaction. A lot of people are jaded by the Mouse's involvement and see his hand across films, although that's a relatively uninformed viewpoint.

I mean, Johnson's already made one quasi-comedy in The Brothers Bloom, and Looper has a trove of gags that are in the same vein as The Last Jedi's, such as Noah Segan being hit by Jeff Daniels opening a door and whatnot. Each of the times I've seen it the gags stick their landing with the audience, save for the prank call one which is mixed. And I think part of that is it's not overly easy to hear Poe calling him "General Hugs" -- personally I think it overstays its welcome by 20 seconds but it's character driven. Poe has been a more meta, genre-aware character since his dialogue with Kylo on Jakku, which is basically his introduction. Luke saying "Ok, that's pretty much nowhere" is the same attitude as "If there's a bright centre to the universe you're on the planet that's farthest from".

There's a vocal minority railing against the film. On the whole I thought The Force Awakens was more stuffed with millennial humour but then its core, key audience is kids.

I think the best gag in the prequels is "Good job!" FWIW... Lucas tries to push Obi-Wan into the Han slot but it can't really work because he's too important to the plot, and also I think it makes perfect sense that the galaxy needed be in a certain shape to produce a Han Solo. That's something that will always be special about the first two films of the OT.

Humour comes from context - "That's the Force!" is a different type of gag to the originals but I think it's just as good because it's saying something, it's not just a joke for a joke's sake which IS a criticism you can levy at mid-range to lesser Marvel features.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Star Wars are family movies.

Star Wars are family movies.

its funny, I understand their demographic is 12-18

and the house of mouse will continue as such but man, watching a new hope with the boy

so much wanton violence!!

sabering peoples arm off, close combat, point blank blasters in the face - they didn't hold back !

I just told the boy all weapons were set for stun ;)

its funny, I understand their demographic is 12-18

and the house of mouse will continue as such but man, watching a new hope with the boy

so much wanton violence!!

sabering peoples arm off, close combat, point blank blasters in the face - they didn't hold back !

I just told the boy all weapons were set for stun ;)

True, but it's all so slapstick. Not on purpose of course, but I think that's just because it's dated. If you were to try and replicate that now, it truly would look stupid. Could be a reason why the mix of humour/violence/drama works "better" in A new Hope and not the later films. Time of production is a huge factor imo.

There's a vocal minority railing against the film

division.png

That's not a vocal minority man, that is an incredibly divided response.

LOTS of people didn't like this film - down right hated it actually.

True, but it's all so slapstick. Not on purpose of course, but I think that's just because it's dated. If you were to try and replicate that now, it truly would look stupid. Could be a reason why the mix of humour/violence/drama works "better" in A new Hope and not the later films. Time of production is a huge factor imo.

also no blood!

its a bit slap sticky cause any time a trooper goes down or a jedi dies its a bloodless scene, it ends in a white suit on the ground or an empty jedi robe...

that's why the blood smear on fins helmet was a shock to me - it didn't seem star wars

of course obi wan chopped old mates arm off in the cantina, but it wasn't a bright red pool of blood - just beldned in

also no blood!

its a bit slap sticky cause any time a trooper goes down or a jedi dies its a bloodless scene, it ends in a white suit on the ground or an empty jedi robe...

that's why the blood smear on fins helmet was a shock to me - it didn't seem star wars

of course obi wan chopped old mates arm off in the cantina, but it wasn't a bright red pool of blood - just beldned in

Yeah, I wouldn't be mad at all if the Star Wars universe had no blood.

Yeah, I wouldn't be mad at all if the Star Wars universe had no blood.

or atleast some bright green greedo blood on the cantina wall

and another thing! ;)

it always seemed that the empire and the rebels have totally different tech - empire always red lasers and weapons, rebels white or green - tie fighters vs x wings ect ect

yet when R2 gets on the death star, his dooverhickey can fit into their thing and read the schematics..

id reckon the empire would have a different usb port to what R2 has

I cant even charge my android at a mates place cause he has rebel apple tech..

Last edited:
View attachment 451616

That's not a vocal minority man, that is an incredibly divided response.

LOTS of people didn't like this film - down right hated it actually.

Id love a follow up question of how many people actually didn't like the film or just didn't like the direction the story is now going. As they are two different things.

I loved the film while it was happening, the only part I hated at the time was Leia's space scene.

I was only disappointed about it after waking up the next morning and trying to reconcile it with the story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back