Movies & TV Everything Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

I've done my best to adjust my view - particularly when people that I respect disagree.

But The Last Jedi was an utter abomination, and some have desperately tried to qualify the absolutely abysmal entry to the series that it is by justifying some ******* terrible characters. It HAS to be right, I MUST justify this!

It has, quite literally in my eyes, broken the series. It's done - Disney destroyed it, Johnson destroyed it.

Now is the time to tell me I'll be back for IX - I'm sure I'll watch it.

But at midnight? Will I have anticipated it as much? I'll barely have anticipated it at all - why would I? All we have left is ******* terrible actors playing out a piece that is nothing short of an abomination.

Ren? Rey?

******* disgusting.

Kill the series, you've obliterated it - it's done.
It amused me watching that MwM video how much your reactions mirror those of fans at the time of Empire Strikes Back

let me ask you this

anyone who is reading, i'm not bothering to stick up for anything or slate anything.. just a straight question

I want to know, would you be upset if any of

rey
finn
rose
po
hux
kylo

died at the start of the next movie?

do you care about any of them? are you invested in them?

(I assume seeing luke or han die at the start of empire would have upset people greatly - even han being frozen in carbonite upset people...)

let me ask you this

anyone who is reading, i'm not bothering to stick up for anything or slate anything.. just a straight question

rey
finn
rose
po
hux
kylo

(I assume seeing luke or han die at the start of empire would have upset people greatly - even han being frozen in carbonite upset people...)

I’d legit giggle if Rose died.

The rest, no feeling at all.

let me ask you this

rey
finn
rose
po
hux
kylo

Yes.

I mean in one simple film, I reckon we had buy in on Luke, Han, Leia at the very least - it felt like they were actual characters - they built a back story, luke was flawed and we hoped he could make good and we wanted to come along for his journey. And ford.. well he could act, he had an instant magnetism and attraction. Or maybe it was just a different time when we had time to build a backstory, now it has to be all go go go bang crash bright lights and explosions

anyhow now we have what it feels to be a bunch of caricatures' not characters - like they are filling demographics, appeasing all the groups - we have the wise cracking white guy, the female heroine, the black guy, the Asian girl, the red head ;)

Theoretically we would have fallen for Rey in the second flick like we did luke but she became all powerful too soon and frankly it rubbed me the wrong way a little - Luke remained flawed even when he thought he might have attained higher learning, he went to face dad too early..

I mean in one simple film, I reckon we had buy in on Luke, Han, Leia at the very least - it felt like they were actual characters - they built a back story, luke was flawed and we hoped he could make good and we wanted to come along for his journey. And ford.. well he could act, he had an instant magnetism and attraction. Or maybe it was just a different time when we had time to build a backstory, now it has to be all go go go bang crash bright lights and explosions

anyhow now we have what it feels to be a bunch of caricatures' not characters - like they are filling demographics, appeasing all the groups - we have the wise cracking white guy, the female heroine, the black guy, the Asian girl, the red head ;)

Theoretically we would have fallen for Rey in the second flick like we did luke but she became all powerful too soon and frankly it rubbed me the wrong way a little - Luke remained flawed even when he thought he might have attained higher learning, he went to face dad too early..
Funny you should mention that, considering TLJ had a distinct lack of all of that in comparison to the other 7 films plus Rogue One.

You're gonna be struggling with any new Star Wars if you keep trying to compare 40 years of history with brand new characters.

Kind of the point though - there IS 40 years of history.

TLJ pissed on it like it didn’t exist.

Kind of the point though - there IS 40 years of history.

TLJ pissed on it like it didn’t exist.

So how are you meant to introduce new characters?

You're gonna be struggling with any new Star Wars if you keep trying to compare 40 years of history with brand new characters.

but it didn't take me 40 years to connect with luke and han, I had it from one film. it took 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I didn't connect with the new breed, I concede it could be cause i'm a crotchety old man now and hate millennials, granted ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how are you meant to introduce new characters?

You don't. You live in a world where we clone our actors just as we remember them and get them to recreate the fantasies that we want to happen in the story we have already written in our heads.

Or you know learn to adapt, but which is more likely.

but it didn't take me 40 years to connect with luke and han, I had it from one film. it took 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I didn't connect with the new breed, I concede it could be cause i'm a crotchety old man now and hate millennials, granted ;)

You connected to them because you didn't have 40 years of history shaping your expectations.

Just like the people who are being introduced to the Star Wars universe through these new characters.

But you didn't have a prior history to compare, did you?

id like to think i'm a little deeper than that!

I give everything a go - I even watched showgirls to try and get into her character..

I watched the new movie with the most open of minds, I was coming of a good experience of tfa afterall, but if I walk out not caring for a character, what can you do? That's their job to make me care, isn't it? I didn't go in with folded arms wanting to not like person a or person b, I was an open sponge. I love star wars, to be honest, I give it the benefit of the doubt at all times, I want it to be ace!

You either care for someone or you don't - in the real world, and on a movie screen - which is trying to emulate the real world (space world)

id like to think i'm a little deeper than that!

I give everything a go - I even watched showgirls to try and get into her character..

I watched the new movie with the most open of minds, I was coming of a good experience of tfa afterall, but if I walk out not caring for a character, what can you do? That's their job to make me care, isn't it? I didn't go in with folded arms wanting to not like person a or person b, I was an open sponge. I love star wars, to be honest, I give it the benefit of the doubt at all times, I want it to be ace!

You either care for someone or you don't - in the real world, and on a movie screen - which is trying to emulate the real world (space world)

No doubt most people would do this! But how easy is it to rub off the history? It clearly effects some people. I have to admit I'm actually not the biggest star wars fan. Perhaps why I am not attached to what the older films have achieved.

would be interesting ....

if you pitch TFA and TLJ as the first two films of a new trilogy, how would it have gone? would it be a blockbuster franchise? cult classic? b grade fodder?

One thing that I will concede, is the state of Hollywood and money-making is a formula that would never have allowed A New Hope to be green-lit in 2018.

As you said, heaps more explosions these days, because the technology is there. A new Hope has the most heart of any Star Wars film and I wonder what effect all this CGI would have on it if it had to be made today.

Well, maybe it's be branded as a kids film or something, and Pixar makes it.

One thing that I will concede, is the state of Hollywood and money-making is a formula that would never have allowed A New Hope to be green-lit in 2018.

As you said, heaps more explosions these days, because the technology is there. A new Hope has the most heart of any Star Wars film and I wonder what effect all this CGI would have on it if it had to be made today.

Lucas tried his best to posthumously wreck it with touch ups and added cgi late too!

a new hope had way less!

just middled along building a story til the final kaboom

imo

Sorry but this is patent nonsense. The film is all action for its first 3 minutes, then extremely quiet up until about the 55 minute mark, and then it is basically WALL TO WALL TO WALL ACTION and SO MUCH SHOOTING for its last hour it's not even funny. It's weirdly, almost obscenely dense with gunfights and running and dogfights.

Sorry but this is patent nonsense. The film is all action for its first 3 minutes, then extremely quiet up until about the 55 minute mark, and then it is basically WALL TO WALL TO WALL ACTION and SO MUCH SHOOTING for its last hour it's not even funny. It's weirdly, almost obscenely dense with gunfights and running and dogfights.

fair enough, about an hour of quiet character building then it goes kaboom!

i'm not used to being taken so literally... 'middled along til the final kaboom' could actually mean an hour of character building before it all went bang (the storyline)? I didn't mean the kaboom was the death star exploding...

Patent nonsense only if comprehended comment incorrectly.

anyhow that hour was worth it, I got invested.

I feel like a lot of these complaints can be summed up with one of the best exchanges from The Thick of It:

"It's a classic Curly Wurly I wanted. A Curly Wurly should be the size of a small ladder."
"Your hands have got bigger."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back