Movies & TV Everything Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

As opposed to other movies where convenient solutions to problems don't exist?

No, but there is usually a space after said problem arises where it causes some constenation, maybe an argument or two on which way to go, some downtime, maybe a failed attempt at fixing it...then said solution presents.

This was more problem solution problem solution

It was like riding a dodgy rollercoaster that you're initially suspicious of but then you ride it and enjoy it then you get off and you see all the things wrong with it, so you won't rush to ride it again but you still did enjoy the time you rode it.

I felt weird watching this film.

It's odd, for a franchise we have all invested so much emotional time into, you end up being a bystander watching the last episode. You just can't invest, they don't give you any breathing space or time to invest into any moment, be them good or bad!

I came in with good Intentions, I tried to follow and feel but 15 mins in after the 5th or 6th momentous happening on the bounce I gave up. Just sat there and watched it all go by.

It was all too convenient. Oh we have a problem! no matter po knows somebody in another system they can help! We are Introduced to another new world for mere moments with zero setup or context, then a new character (spinoff ahoy) and off we go again to the next moment. Even the iconic fade offs were fast and jolting.

Of course there was much fan service, lots of box ticking, I had 'a moment' when Kylo saw an old familiar face, I felt a little emotional.... My son grabbed my hand and that very moment I thought hey, I'm watching star wars with my son! I felt the baton passing, I cared about the person he didn't and vice versa.. but it made me think maybe that's the issue, I cared about the older character cause I was given time to grow an attachment.

In these new films I'm not sure it's possible to grow an affinity for anybody, the pacing is too quick.

Gotta say i loved the exploration of the old death star. Loved the jarjar style marginalisation of rose.

Short of that, where are we on spoilers in here?

But I actually came away thinking maybe the thing with star wars is, actually viewing the film isn't where it's at it's most enjoyable. Each film has been fairly clunky/flawed and incomplete in whatever way, it's all the chat and dialog and Internal thoughts and exploration of lore that comes with it that makes starwars epic. No matter what film they serve up, it will never match our imaginstion or volume's of chatroom fodder.

Here more than any other pop culture franchise the baby has outgrown it's parent and needs to move out to be free to stretch it's wings.

Great point re growing an affinity with characters.

Thought it was probably the best since the original trilogy, bar Rogue One, but still pretty meh. Hard to judge when expectations are so low now. I think my initial reaction was literally "*shrug* it was alright".

I felt weird watching this film.

It's odd, for a franchise we have all invested so much emotional time into, you end up being a bystander watching the last episode. You just can't invest, they don't give you any breathing space or time to invest into any moment, be them good or bad!

I came in with good Intentions, I tried to follow and feel but 15 mins in after the 5th or 6th momentous happening on the bounce I gave up. Just sat there and watched it all go by.

It was all too convenient. Oh we have a problem! no matter po knows somebody in another system they can help! We are Introduced to another new world for mere moments with zero setup or context, then a new character (spinoff ahoy) and off we go again to the next moment. Even the iconic fade offs were fast and jolting.

Of course there was much fan service, lots of box ticking, I had 'a moment' when Kylo saw an old familiar face, I felt a little emotional.... My son grabbed my hand and that very moment I thought hey, I'm watching star wars with my son! I felt the baton passing, I cared about the person he didn't and vice versa.. but it made me think maybe that's the issue, I cared about the older character cause I was given time to grow an attachment.

In these new films I'm not sure it's possible to grow an affinity for anybody, the pacing is too quick.

Gotta say i loved the exploration of the old death star. Loved the jarjar style marginalisation of rose.

Short of that, where are we on spoilers in here?

But I actually came away thinking maybe the thing with star wars is, actually viewing the film isn't where it's at it's most enjoyable. Each film has been fairly clunky/flawed and incomplete in whatever way, it's all the chat and dialog and Internal thoughts and exploration of lore that comes with it that makes starwars epic. No matter what film they serve up, it will never match our imaginstion or volume's of chatroom fodder.

Here more than any other pop culture franchise the baby has outgrown it's parent and needs to move out to be free to stretch it's wings.
Same no point getting angry about it though. Hats of to JJ for screwing over Johnson though.

Just watched it as well and my god. Spoiling the reveal in the first paragraph of the crawl, lack of commitment to any risks that would have interesting and a real failure of closing any thematic arcs. Was always going to be pushing up hill considering last Jedi was such a step away from JJs vision but failed to redeem it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Star Wars sucks and they're not going to do anything good and different with it as it's too well known.

Shoulda just kept going with Ryan's ideas.

The Mandalorian is a step in the right direction

Is it? It's short, story-of-the-week, things-I-recognise stuff. Way people were sucked in by a baby Yoda means they have no reason to push themselves to make something really good. It'll be like crappy How I Met Your Mother. "Got to keep watching to find our who the mother is!"

Is it? It's short, story-of-the-week, things-I-recognise stuff. Way people were sucked in by a baby Yoda means they have no reason to push themselves to make something really good. It'll be like crappy How I Met Your Mother. "Got to keep watching to find our who the mother is!"
Plenty of likeable characters and interesting adventures and good action, sounds like Star Wars to me.

The sequels have set such a low standard that The Mandalorian is automatically given a pass by many, even though it is fairly run-of-the-mill and has no way of undoing the mess the films made.

The sequels have set such a low standard that The Mandalorian is automatically given a pass by many, even though it is fairly run-of-the-mill and has no way of undoing the mess the films made.

Telling how few people praise the 2015-2019 output without adding "best since [insert last Star Wars I liked]". The franchise dangles on nostalgia and fan service for the original trilogy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back