Evidence of change at Collingwood - the watch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

President Ed not shooting his mouth off... A pleasant change..
President Ed got rich enough and successful enough to be able to give Collingwood all of his spare time by . . .

Wait for it . . . . . .

Shooting off at the mouth!

He's a media person and a bloody good one.

He pulled the Pies from the brink of bankruptcy

So you take the good with the bad.

I'm so glad I don't have the job of reading Collingwood's email inbox...
One day one of my mates sent a scathing email to the Demons during the Neeld era and they responded by giving him his 11 game membership for free the next season.

I was actually just about to post something along the same lines until I saw your post. I agree that the club lately seems to be far lower in profile than it has been in the past. Maybe it is that el presidente has been asked to be a little less enthusiastic about spreading the magpie doctrine. I have no idea but it does seem that there is far less to read about the club in the media since the review. Of course that is both good and bad for a number of reasons. Let's not forget that it is the profile of the club which attracts sponsorship dollars and that fans love to read about their club. On the flipside, it does make us a far smaller target for the Caro's and the Robbo's of this world.
On field success will bring sponsors banging on the door of the Holden Centre. We don't need general noise, gabble and drama to attract long term sponsors.

One day one of my mates sent a scathing email to the Demons during the Neeld era and they responded by giving him his 11 game membership for free the next season.

A Melbourne membership in the Neeld era? A harsh punishment for a fiery email...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s because the Dees are a worthless heap of crap.

On field success will bring sponsors banging on the door of the Holden Centre. We don't need general noise, gabble and drama to attract long term sponsors.
True but AFL clubs wouldn't exist if they relied solely on that. Like it or not, publicity attracts sponsors. We, like they can only hope it's all good publicity and so that's probably why it's better if it doesn't involve Ed so much.

I was actually just about to post something along the same lines until I saw your post. I agree that the club lately seems to be far lower in profile than it has been in the past. Maybe it is that el presidente has been asked to be a little less enthusiastic about spreading the magpie doctrine. I have no idea but it does seem that there is far less to read about the club in the media since the review. Of course that is both good and bad for a number of reasons. Let's not forget that it is the profile of the club which attracts sponsorship dollars and that fans love to read about their club. On the flipside, it does make us a far smaller target for the Caro's and the Robbo's of this world.
Interesting points

This may emenate from Geoff Walsh's report. I was told one of the big things he was critical in his recent report on the footy department was the emphasis on big personalities at Collingwood. He saw that as hampering the running of the footy dept so no doubt some emphasis will have been placed on getting back to footy club business and getting away from the big personalities dominating the airwaves.

Interesting points

This may emenate from Geoff Walsh's report. I was told one of the big things he was critical in his recent report on the footy department was the emphasis on big personalities at Collingwood. He saw that as hampering the running of the footy dept so no doubt some emphasis will have been placed on getting back to footy club business and getting away from the big personalities dominating the airwaves.

Geez they really did take my survey suggestions seriously. :p

For the cherry on top we will never see kiss cam again and we will have some VFL games as curtain raisers at the G.

Lock it in Eddie.

Last edited:
President Ed got rich enough and successful enough to be able to give Collingwood all of his spare time by . . .

Wait for it . . . . . .

Shooting off at the mouth!

He's a media person and a bloody good one.

He pulled the Pies from the brink of bankruptcy

So you take the good with the bad.
Not for ever.

Not sure if it's actually new evidence but I was pleased with the response I received from the club after I emailed them and asked for it to be forwarded to Derek Hine RE:The merits of drafting Tyler Keitel.

Now I'm not sure if the response I received after 3 days or so was a generic reply sent out to all who enquire about potential draft targets as it didn't mention Tyler specifically or it was a unique reply that wanted to remain diplomatic and professional and not divulge information about any one individual.

It might have been a combination of both I guess.

Either way in a polite manner I got what I wanted to convey off my chest and felt that I had been at least recognised for my passion, time and effort by the club.

Good to see you got a response, unlike when i emailed pleading with them to draft Dayne Zorko and specifically requested they respond so i knew the right people had received my message.

FFS nothing is forever - how about standing for office if you don't like the incumbents?

Oh yeah I forgot . . .

That would mean doing something instead of bitching about those who do.
Eddie has done a huge amount for this club. Basically resurrected it when it was at a very low ebb in the mid to late 90's. Collingwood owe him a huge debt of gratitude for laying the groundwork for success both on and off the field.

However he is not the infallible messiah and beyond any criticism like some sycophantic Kool aiders would have us believe. Your retort about "standing for office if you don't like the incumbents" is puerile and nonsensical

By that rationale you may as well mandate “ Don’t criticise the judiciary” for handing down woeful non sentences unless you’re prepared to get a law degree and take on the job yourself. Or “ Don’t you dare criticise our political masters” unless you are prepared to seek preselection for higher office.

My point is perfectly valid, Nothing is for ever, and no-one is irreplaceable. Everyone has their used by date. Eddie is not infallible or beyond criticism when he stuffs up. Otherwise that's how dictatorships come about.

Last edited:
Good to see you got a response, unlike when i emailed pleading with them to draft Dayne Zorko and specifically requested they respond so i knew the right people had received my message.

Wait... You actually really emailed the club for this? Thinking they'd take into account your evaluation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back