Oppo Camp Ex-Cats Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm. According to this article we delisted Abbott with the intent to re-rookie him, yet we already had him on some kind of contract. Will we still be paying for his first year at St Kilda? We delisted Oscar Brownless as well with the same intention (to re-rookie)!

...Fringe ruckman Ryan Abbott and father-son product Oscar Brownless have also been delisted but have been promised a spot on the rookie list should they not be picked up by a rival prior to November's NAB AFL Draft.

The Cats will give Ryan Abbott a rookie lifeline...

...Abbott, 28, last year penned a two-year extension until the end of 2020 but will move to the rookie list.

Brownless, 19 finished 10th in the VFL best & fairest after playing 18 games at VFL level in his first season at the club.

"The club would like to recognise and thank Ryan and Oscar for their willingness to work with the club on this decision. They have both demonstrated a club-first attitude throughout the process, and we are grateful for their cooperation," Wells said.

"We look forward to both Ryan and Oscar enjoying successful seasons for Geelong in 2020..."

Does anyone know the advantage to delisting/re-rookying players?

Hmmm. According to this article we delisted Abbott with the intent to re-rookie him, yet we already had him on some kind of contract. Will we still be paying for his first year at St Kilda? We delisted Oscar Brownless as well with the same intention (to re-rookie)!

I believe, if a rookie stays on the list more than 2 years, they have to be upgraded to senior list. Delisting would allow us to re-sign them as a rookie.

It takes them off the senior list, and on to the rookie list. Which has opened up 2 spots we needed to have to use our 4 draft picks. We had 2 spare rookie spots cause simpson and zuthrie had to be upgraded to the senior list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

has there been confirmation that the club had announced they were not re-rookieing Abbott? or was the 'journalist' adding colorful vocabulary (renege)?
Considering he had been training during the week, if the club had backed out from re-signing Abbott, it must have been a decision made really really late in the week

has there been confirmation that the club had announced they were not re-rookieing Abbott? or was the 'journalist' adding colorful vocabulary (renege)?

I was sure that I read that the club was going to re-rookie him.
It is just that St.Kilda beat us to the punch.

Journo made it up.
Jouros arent journos anynore. They jut make s**t up and hope it sticks and wait for someone else to prove it wrong... rather than being right.

By all the reports I saw, which is a resonable amount given I update all the Catscan list changes with links... Abbott was to be rookied by GFC unless he got a better offer - which the Saints did - and by upgrading him to their AFL list -they pay his AFL contract. GFC didnt back put of renege on anyhting in the reports ive seen.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back