Review Ex Giants player watch

We really wanted pick 11 and gave up a premium to obtain it (and also to get it done early to take it off the table in the Saad and/or Stringer trades).
Aye, thus the "under the circumstances", but his real value was and is considerably more than pick 11

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
If not for his repeat ACLs, imagine the star Ahern would have been for us. Elite ball use, vision, footy smarts and endurance at full flight - an inside/outside mid who could develop in the Josh Kelly mould. Looks like a missed opportunity to capitalise on his talent on our part. Sad to have lost him and for such small return but glad he is playing well with some continuity. Ripping it up for the roos today in his 8th game!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, just imagine a second brilliant inside/outside midfielder who could interchange with Josh Kelly … on top of Ward, Cogs & Shiel! Just unfortunate for us that he was re-injured just before AFL House screwed us over with their change of policy on our list size & salary cap. Otherwise, he would have played for us this year after recovering (early-season injuries would have seen him given a chance where Langdon, Daniels got their chances), and no way would the 2016 trade have occurred the way it did. Either keep him or trade for his true value. However, que sera sera! Can't change history now. Good luck to the lad.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
He was outstanding yesterday. Just pray he can stay healthy - heart genuinely always in the mouth with those 2 x ACL guys.

Gutsy effort by the club to sit him out of footy for a full 12 months and build him up super slowly as there were times last year where they could have played him at VFL level but they stayed with the plan.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Dom Tyson ticked over 100 Ganesh last week and it will be interesting to see if he stays at the demons and if he ends up at either the Blues or Suns
He would get more game time at the Blues and with Cripps, E Curnow and Tyson and then the youngsters alongside not exciting but it is a solid core IMO

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
My question is if Devon Smith is greatly missed on the field this year and how much of a difference would he have made to the clubs season?
Although not an out and out star he is a solid player with the occasional touch of class, it would have been good to keep him but i think this year has shown how much of a star Kelly is and I want the club to sign him on a 6-8 year deal and that to me is what the choice was that faced the club Smith and SC for others or Kelly
I think his last 2 years at the club were a bit impacted by injury and this year has shown what he is capable of, The Bombers look to have a lot of possibility and just need some luck next year with injuries and they could push for top 4 but another team with a chance to finish 5-10

You look at our team and try to fit him in and he ends up back in the role that pissed him enough to leave. He's not going in the middle over Kelly or Cogs or Shiel or Ward or Hopper or Scully or Whitfield, and some of those guys can't get a gig in the middle either.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
You look at our team and try to fit him in and he ends up back in the role that pissed him enough to leave. He's not going in the middle over Kelly or Cogs or Shiel or Ward or Hopper or Scully or Whitfield, and some of those guys can't get a gig in the middle either.
With the likelihood of Sheil leaving for similar reasons to Smith. That is I’m too good not to play in the middle so I’m going elsewhere. I would like to say bravo to the Scully and Whitfield etc for putting the team ahead of their wants. Team first wins flags

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
With the likelihood of Sheil leaving for similar reasons to Smith. That is I’m too good not to play in the middle so I’m going elsewhere. I would like to say bravo to the Scully and Whitfield etc for putting the team ahead of their wants. Team first wins flags
Do you know why if he was so desperate to play midfield and seemingly happy at the club when he commented some weeks ago (he wouldnt be leaving in 2018 unless the club forced him out) that he would do a 180 and now want to leave? Maybe just a change of mind but seems more to the story. Perhaps the club is actually forcing him out.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Someone posted a rumour about Scully wanting out?

Was gutted when I read it as it was from one of our own.

Have you heard anything?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Gutted if the rumours about Dyl prove to be true. However, I've always said that we do need to slowly turn over the massive lump of players that we have from 2011 (i.e. same age, U17 prelisters + 2011 draft etc) so his departure would do that - provided we get satisfactory compensation to effectively replace him 8 years younger.

Someone posted a rumour about Scully wanting out?

Was gutted when I read it as it was from one of our own.

Have you heard anything?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The Scully one was phrased as "at some point" which doesn't necessarily surprise me and could be said about many players.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Snipper Miles - too good for the NEAFL couldn’t really crack the AFL

Went to Victoria - now it seems too good for the VFL without being able to crack the AFL

Congratulations on receiving your JJ Liston Medal.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Steele third in the Saints B + F behind Ross and Steven who wins for the fourth time
Solid season and up to 58 games this year but not a spectacular player more a solid inside player and would be interesting to know what he is on as I think the club couldn't pay him after his rookie contract and I think it was a choice between him and Hopper so interesting to see how his career goes
I will say he looks like being a good pick up for Saints 2017 second round pick

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Steele third in the Saints B + F behind Ross and Steven who wins for the fourth time
Solid season and up to 58 games this year but not a spectacular player more a solid inside player and would be interesting to know what he is on as I think the club couldn't pay him after his rookie contract and I think it was a choice between him and Hopper so interesting to see how his career goes
I will say he looks like being a good pick up for Saints 2017 second round pick

Think your confusing what happen with Matt Kennedy with Steele, and while we never put a fresh contract in front of Kennedy we certainly did attempt to keep Steele.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Looks like Jonathan O'Rourke might be delisted from the Hawks. Can't remember that far back, did people rate him at the time, sad to see him go? Injuries haven't helped but he hasn't shown much. Pick 2, ouch. Was a weak draft outside a few gems though.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Looks like Jonathan O'Rourke might be delisted from the Hawks. Can't remember that far back, did people rate him at the time, sad to see him go? Injuries haven't helped but he hasn't shown much. Pick 2, ouch. Was a weak draft outside a few gems though.

I think that was a reach at the time and maybe a bit of a gamble that didn't work out and I would say the constant injuries slowed his development and maybe trust in his body and he lost the desire
Or he just wasn't cut out for AFL, he puts in below average numbers in the VFL from what I see and at 24 don't think any other club would be interested and he may get a gig in the VFL but more likely a local league if he wants to keep on playing

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Rated in the teens rather than top 10, I'd say from memory. Think we reached to try to get an inside/outside midfielder (that we got the following year with Kelly). Similarly reached on Plowman as a KPD, Jacksch as a swing KPP & even Corr as well. Could have had Macrae, Wines or Grundy. Ouch! :(

Back