Review Ex Giants player watch

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Thats not how I remember his running style, looks very flat footed. But with ankles its agility that goes so straight line doesnt indicate much.

Good to see him running and I do hope for the best for him and maybe he could push for a game or two before the bye i think the biggest test will be the lateral movement when running and pushing off to change direction

Player lists on the weekend excluding last night just naming a few..lol

HAWTHORN

B: J.Impey 4, T.Mohr 39, K.Brand 30

NORTH MELBOURNE

C: J.Polec 13, D.Tyson 21, T.Dumont 14
Foll: T.Goldstein 22, J.Ziebell 7, P.Ahern 15

ST KILDA

HF: J.Gresham 4, J.Bruce 27, D.Kent 25
Foll: L.Pierce 42, S.Ross 6, J.Steele 9

FREMANTLE

C: N.Wilson 14, D.Tucker 18, B.Hill 9
F: R.Lobb 37, J.Hogan 11, A.Brayshaw 8

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
That's not quite what he said. He said "it's a bit of a graveyard up there."

It was a coming off the ground having a microphone stuck in your face while still flustered moment.

Dylan did say one if his reasons for leaving was to play in front of big crowds, and referred to ANZAC day as a blockbuster.

To me it was dissrespectful but no biggie. He's not a diplomat and Devon was always a bit emotional in game. Some players are driven by that, and a loose comment really isn't out if character.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

If he is this close, how the hell did we let him go for nothing?

Very happy for him but we seem to have dropped the ball on this one, unless someone has more info?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is an absolute joke...add to that blokes we couldn’t get on the park trouble free elsewhere and you have to say we have clearly had the most inept medical/physio/rehab department in the comp.

This is an absolute joke...add to that blokes we couldn’t get on the park trouble free elsewhere and you have to say we have clearly had the most inept medical/physio/rehab department in the comp.
Much as I hate to be negative about the club, this has been a huge area of concern for a few years now, hopefully the changes made in the offseason bring forth changes in outcomes.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Good to see Setterfield named for the Blues, Not expecting too much in the first few games but at the end of the year I am sure a lot of people will be talking about him

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Much as I hate to be negative about the club, this has been a huge area of concern for a few years now, hopefully the changes made in the offseason bring forth changes in outcomes.
I dont think any of us like being negative.

But it has been obvious for some time that our medical/physio have been pathetic for some time.
We have new medicos and physios now so should be interesting

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
This discussion feels a lot like I'm not a racist but...

The season hasn't hasn't started yet and already we're at the the clubs medical staff and injury management are worse than nazis stage we were at last season.

Medical decisions need to be made by a medical practioner, it's not complicated. The pseudo-scientific judgements if people without knowledge of any players situation or useful skills are clearly beyond silly.

Specifically the Scully trade clearly had multiple elements.

Salary Cap was obviously a factor, and the need to manage the exits that happened carefully. Scully chose Hawthorn and the clubs option was retain him or negotiate the best trade possible.

The impact of retaining Scully who chose to go, and then be forced to not possibly not offer a contract to someone who wanted to stay needs to be considered.

The fact some nuffie in the Vic press says the trade price was because we misjudged the seriousness of his injuries does not make it true.

I saw our club board go significantly downhill last year with the negativity around every little thing that went wrong. This is just a part of it.

There's a significant disconnect between the club BF board where negativity is often the dominant force, and the increasing passion and involvement I see at Spotless particularly.

All club boards have some negativity but they generally are a welcoming place for supporters of the club, ours sadly isn't always. I get the negativity that comes from desperately wanting success, and the fear it wont happen. This is different and deeper than that, and descends into hatred frequently.

I see the mods posting on Facebook and tweeting and trying to attract more of the 10,000 minimum fans who attend Spotless. Frankly I cant see it happening until something changes. Right now the imperative to increase activity is sending the board in the wrong direction in my view.

This discussion feels a lot like I'm not a racist but...

The season hasn't hasn't started yet and already we're at the the clubs medical staff and injury management are worse than nazis stage we were at last season.

Medical decisions need to be made by a medical practioner, it's not complicated. The pseudo-scientific judgements if people without knowledge of any players situation or useful skills are clearly beyond silly.

Ignoring the stupid Godwining...

I don't think second guessing medical staff on treatment is a good idea and have posted to that extant many times, but that's not an incompatible idea with examining our repeated injury history and causes and concerns. Injury treatment, which most aren't calling out - yes there are some, but not most - is not the same as injury prevention, which is what most are lamenting. Stuff like customized training schedules, monitoring of player workload, etc, is very well-developed these days in some clubs.

The Brisbane Lions (obviously a club I have more visibility into than most) have gone from having many many soft tissue injuries, to greatly reducing those, to improving in their overall injury monitoring and prevention, to the point where frequently injured guys like McCarthy and Adams are lobbying to get to the club. That's a demonstration of what different staff and different focuses can bring.

Is there something wrong in the injury prevention staff at GWS? It's hard to say from an external POV but that doesn't exempt it from examination when we have such large injury lists each year. However given the club has acknowledged that with its publicity this offseason about increased investment in the area, I can't see how arguing that it should be beyond reproach for public discussion makes any sense.

It's like saying we can't question team selections because we don't have all the knowledge - some people have made that argument over the years, but it never holds up. BF is a discussion forum, so people discuss stuff.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

I don't think second guessing medical staff on treatment is a good idea and have posted to that extant many times, but that's not an incompatible idea with examining our repeated injury history and causes and concerns. Injury treatment, which most aren't calling out - yes there are some, but not most - is not the same as injury prevention, which is what most are lamenting. Stuff like customized training schedules, monitoring of player workload, etc, is very well-developed these days in some clubs.

The Brisbane Lions (obviously a club I have more visibility into than most) have gone from having many many soft tissue injuries, to greatly reducing those, to improving in their overall injury monitoring and prevention, to the point where frequently injured guys like McCarthy and Adams are lobbying to get to the club. That's a demonstration of what different staff and different focuses can bring.

Is there something wrong in the injury prevention staff at GWS? It's hard to say from an external POV but that doesn't exempt it from examination when we have such large injury lists each year. However given the club has acknowledged that with its publicity this offseason about increased investment in the area, I can't see how arguing that it should be beyond reproach for public discussion makes any sense.

It's like saying we can't question team selections because we don't have all the knowledge - some people have made that argument over the years, but it never holds up. BF is a discussion forum, so people discuss stuff.
I didn't actually say any of that though.

It's not questioning that's hapoe

It's not questioning though, it's beyond that. Of course the club seeks constant improvement and best practice in all aspects if it's administration I've never said the club should be beyond reproach or criticism. That really is a strawman argument.

Why a club with 25k members and increasing engagement from home crowds cannit rause sufficient money to sponsor a single player on BF with the assistance that comes from admin is a reason for shame. My view is it's a strong disconnect between the clubs supporters and the BF community.

If that offends you and you need to insult, so be it. In the big picture eventually reality will intervene inevitably, but not anytime soon I expect.

If that offends you and you need to insult, so be it.

LOL. Never mind then, if you're finding an insult in that post there's obviously no attempt to having an actual discussion.

Why a club with 25k members and increasing engagement from home crowds cannit rause sufficient money to sponsor a single player on BF with the assistance that comes from admin is a reason for shame. My view is it's a strong disconnect between the clubs supporters and the BF community.

That's a separate discussion to what I was interested in, which is why I didn't quote your anti-BF part of the post. To me the medical stuff is of interest as it impacts our club, but it appears you're more interested in using it as a Trojan horse to push an unrelated position.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
LOL. Never mind then, if you're finding an insult in that post there's obviously no attempt to having an actual discussion.

That's a separate discussion to what I was interested in, which is why I didn't quote your anti-BF part of the post. To me the medical stuff is of interest as it impacts our club, but it appears you're more interested in using it as a Trojan horse to push an unrelated position.
It's clearly fundamental to what I said though. It's just an example if the broader issue of the negativity. You cant just define the argument as what you want it to to be or communication fails completely, as it must.

Did you think I was anti BF? Strange conclusion to draw. I do often find more balanced discussion on opposition boards it's true. Generally you will see the the level if negativity on our board criticised by the community or the mods on other club boards.

It was criticism of our board, and the way it's moderated, is that criticism of the site though?

It honestly matters little to me in the end. You can try to convince yourself mine is a unique view if you wish.

Back