Review Ex Giants player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

This discussion feels a lot like I'm not a racist but...

The season hasn't hasn't started yet and already we're at the the clubs medical staff and injury management are worse than nazis stage we were at last season.

Medical decisions need to be made by a medical practioner, it's not complicated. The pseudo-scientific judgements if people without knowledge of any players situation or useful skills are clearly beyond silly.

Specifically the Scully trade clearly had multiple elements.

Salary Cap was obviously a factor, and the need to manage the exits that happened carefully. Scully chose Hawthorn and the clubs option was retain him or negotiate the best trade possible.

The impact of retaining Scully who chose to go, and then be forced to not possibly not offer a contract to someone who wanted to stay needs to be considered.

The fact some nuffie in the Vic press says the trade price was because we misjudged the seriousness of his injuries does not make it true.

I saw our club board go significantly downhill last year with the negativity around every little thing that went wrong. This is just a part of it.

There's a significant disconnect between the club BF board where negativity is often the dominant force, and the increasing passion and involvement I see at Spotless particularly.

All club boards have some negativity but they generally are a welcoming place for supporters of the club, ours sadly isn't always. I get the negativity that comes from desperately wanting success, and the fear it wont happen. This is different and deeper than that, and descends into hatred frequently.

I see the mods posting on Facebook and tweeting and trying to attract more of the 10,000 minimum fans who attend Spotless. Frankly I cant see it happening until something changes. Right now the imperative to increase activity is sending the board in the wrong direction in my view.
I feel slandered by this post.
This is an opinion board and I posted one, as have others
The bolded is just pure postulation, do you feel the need for a podium?

I feel slandered by this post.
This is an opinion board and I posted one, as have others
The bolded is just pure postulation, do you feel the need for a podium?
This is the only club board I know of where people feel slandered by a view supporting the club. It's also the the only club board I know of where you can expect abuse for doing so, which has happened.

I never of course said people couldn't say it. I did make a general criticism of the need to, and my view it is irrational.

Objectively I stand by my reasoning, and that it should have been said. Which part if the bolded is incorrect?

Slander has a specific meaning in law and if you truly believe it's occurred then I can provide my details via PM if you wish to take action.

This is why I barely bother any more

Just came to say, I liked Sauce Philip’s game tonight. Some really good stuff with and without the ball. Always liked him.

terrible luck for Mohr and the injury sounds horrific and any chance of him playing again will be gone imo. 3 ACLs including this and who knows what other injuries he has had but I was surprised he got the Hawks contract but they obviously saw some use in having him on the list and he finishes on 48 games so maybe he wanted to get to 50

Scully set to play on Sunday
Why was he let go so cheaply? I will say a poor decision at this stage but it needs to be looked at more at the end of this year with the re-signings the club makes but I will say I had hoped he was going to stay at the club until he retired but it will be interesting to know if the club asked him if he was going to extend his stay at the club and his reply was he wanted to finish his career back in Melbourne

Scully set to play on Sunday
Why was he let go so cheaply? I will say a poor decision at this stage but it needs to be looked at more at the end of this year with the re-signings the club makes but I will say I had hoped he was going to stay at the club until he retired but it will be interesting to know if the club asked him if he was going to extend his stay at the club and his reply was he wanted to finish his career back in Melbourne
Happy for him to be back quickly.

Not so happy on the trade deal.

Which player that you guys have lost do you miss the most? Which one is it hardest to watch in another guernsey?
In terms of timing and impact on the team, I feel that at the end of 2017, the loss wilson was devastating. This was of course compounded by the fact we lost almost all our drivers from the halfback line e.g. williams, kennedy and wilson.

In terms of absolute worth of a player, I miss treloar the most (not his personality and character but his skill). He still has moments where he butchers his kicking but his acceleration, handballing, strength and ability to goal from 50m out on the run is elite. A very dynamic and consistent accumulator - still think he is one of the most talented players we have lost so far. Shiel, Scully , Smith and Setterfield are the others that come to mind for me.

That being said, I still think the club has done very well to keep players of high character and skill whilst constantly refreshing the talent pool via the draft.

NB. The Scully trade was a shocker. Appalling both in the moment and in hindsight.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which player that you guys have lost do you miss the most? Which one is it hardest to watch in another guernsey?

Wilson. As a player and as a bloke. No hard feelings though as completely understand the reason to return to his home.

Scull Im fuming over because it looks as if we completely screwed the pooch in the trade (unless it was really for cap space for Kelly and Cogs.).

Its so funny how its a big beat up really how good Hawks medical staff are. Alot of people forget Scully was almost right for the finals last season and was tracking well. Credit to Hawks for obtaining him, only thing im a bit disappointed in is currently they should've traded for higher up the draft and Ceglar to make the deal even injury or not he was always going to be coming back early. Good luck if he plays on the the weekend !

Now it all comes down to 1 thing left for the trades of Setters, Scully and Lobb to mean anything that is the Club signs both Cogs and Kelly and potentially both being co-captains of capt / vice next season however thats for a different thread

Just got back from Melb flights were crazy yesterday thanks to Sydney tower. Watched Pies / Tigers. Good watching Pies game plan live, Treloar was a gun really showed how much Shiel needs to work on his game as his DE% is 50% and Treloar was at 81%, 7 tackles, 12 CP. Hopefully Adams his back for Anzac.

Watching Shiel with some pretty ordinary disposal quality in the anzac game giving me comfort that our strategy for retaining the right players is sound.

But of more interest was Bruce talking about the rivalry between Shiel and Treloar going all the way back to junior ranks and a genuine dislike between the two. Wondering how this played into their time together with us

Watching Shiel with some pretty ordinary disposal quality in the anzac game giving me comfort that our strategy for retaining the right players is sound.

But of more interest was Bruce talking about the rivalry between Shiel and Treloar going all the way back to junior ranks and a genuine dislike between the two. Wondering how this played into their time together with us
It seems like the club has tried to retain the best ball users eg Cogs, Whitfield and Kelly. I guess time will tell.

I went out to the SCG last night for the Bombers game...was interested to see how Shiel and Smith performed.

Smith didn't do that much. As for Dylan, same old thing...he won plenty of ball, but I lost count of how many times he kicked it to the Swans...

Not even same old for Shiel. He struggled to even get his hands on it. Only 16 disposals for the game. 5 of which were changers too.

Miss him cause he was original but the team is far better without him and his shitty disposal.

He was tagged by Hewitt in the first half, had 5 disposals at half time before Hewitt shifted on to Merrett. Sydney has always tended to tag Shiel.

Whether he was tagged or not is a moot point...

Whenever he won the ball, and kicked forward, it seemed to go straight to one of the Swans...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back