Review Ex Giants player watch

Interesting.

Do they have the same rules as the Swans Buddy deal?

That even if he left that it's still part of their cap?
Wondering that too. Surely it's got to be.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
One rule for Vic clubs, ,,, ?

Good luck to him for the rest of his life; if he's received good advice (family, agent, investment advisor) the money he's received will see him comfortably off while he does something that he actually enjoys.

A real outlier in terms of circumstances.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
On social media they are saying no because he wasn't a free agent.

They just make it up as they go...When you consider what they did with Scully and is and Tippett and the Swans it would seem the fair outcome is that his contract value counts against the cap.

Perhaps serve as a warning against godfather style deals?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hopefully Boyd lands on his feet and although I dont think much of him as a person i do wish him the best. It would be interesting to read the biographies in a few years from the Doggies premiership 22 as a few would have very interesting stories to tell about what has happened in the aftermath at the club
From reading the article this year will be at a reduced salary and the last 2 years will not count although I feel it should like others here but they will now be able to upgrade some of their existing contracts and they will be looking to spend some cash I think

On social media they are saying no because he wasn't a free agent.
Very curious to see where they pull that out of the AFL rules, given at first glance there's nothing covering it that I can see (admittedly a quick glance because I don't have time to read it thoroughly right right now).

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Some will say it was a wasted pick and to some degree it was but he never had a good run due to injuries and the change of clubs wouldnt have helped as if he hadnt been traded maybe things would have worked out differently for him. Hope he recovers from his latest injury and he hasnt lost his love for the game

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Similar thoughts from me - first thought was 'what a wasted pick', but I do think he's been dogged by injury. Perhaps with some luck it would have turned out OK, although I can't help think that #4 was way to high for him and SOS was reaching for a formula.

Some will say it was a wasted pick and to some degree it was but he never had a good run due to injuries and the change of clubs wouldnt have helped as if he hadnt been traded maybe things would have worked out differently for him. Hope he recovers from his latest injury and he hasnt lost his love for the game
imo never worked as hard as he could have, and thus talent is overcome by will

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ouch.
FB_IMG_1569112294267.jpeg

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Can I ask a question about Jon Patton and his departure from the club. Was there any bad blood? Was there any reason he didn't play the last part of the season? Did the Giants know the Hawks were interested?

No bad blood at all. Made a really emotional speech at the B&F (might even be somewhere on the interwebs) Loved by players and fans alike. Will always be a Giant and welcome at the club anytime. Rumour has it he might even have an off field role waiting for him at the end of his playing career.

Wish him all the very best (except in games against us).

Didn’t play the last part of the season for a number of reasons - wasn’t ready, wouldn’t have got back in time to play a meaningful role so stayed out to get his body absolutely right. Knew he was leaving so didn’t want to re-injure himself for any potential trade.

Yes. It was well known Hawthorn was where he would wind up.

Last edited:

Now im ok i needed a giggle
"I was a part of the leadership group at times at the Giants" and “For me, it’s probably my off-field leadership in terms of the way I prepare, train and go about football in a professional manner – I think that’s probably where I do most of my leading".

Well done to Devon as well being named in the LG for the Bombers

Great write up for Gerald Ugle on the website, even though didn't get a second chance in the AFL fantastic to see he had a successful career in the WAFL

Back