Review Ex Giants player watch

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
It a great first year for Zac

What has happened to Zac is pretty bizarre.

The Blues come all-in with a ridiculous offer for him and expect him to shift from a ‘gun HBF’ to ‘Brownlow mid’ based solely on 2 hrs (admittedly excellent) work in the 2019 Prelim.

We don’t match the offer - correctly - and it ends up blowing up the Blues list strategy and pushing Zac to his wits end.

I imagine Jason McCartney must be monitoring this situation because there’s got to be a sneaky chance we could get him back on the cheap at the end of this year.

For me this may even be a crazier situation than Treloar’s final days at the Pies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yep. Surprise! You go out and get a HBF who isn't renown for his fitness, offer him a shitload of cash to become a mid (which he'd like to be), but it blows up (literally) in your face.

A very sane decision from us not to compete with that contract.

He may come good (or at least better) and do good work for them in the future, but you'd think it would worry them right now. (Now we're reading that they may not have enough cash to tempt Adam Cerra from Freo - who is a mid, and developing nicely.)

Yep. Surprise! You go out and get a HBF who isn't renown for his fitness, offer him a shitload of cash to become a mid (which he'd like to be), but it blows up (literally) in your face.

A very sane decision from us not to compete with that contract.
It's like Groundhog Day. Devon Smith anyone?

Essendon had more free space and fewer promising youngsters so didn't shoot themselves so completely in the face though.

At some point teams will cotton on to the fact that if we're not playing someone in the middle there's a chance they're not up to it. But until then I guess we get better draft compensation?

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
I've been watching Lachie Plowman. Poor guy seems all at sea (long sleeves pink boots don't help), but the Carlton system doesn't suit him.
Meanwhile, a draft or two later we picked up Broken Hill boy Isaac Cumming, who's had a really promising, dependable season.
There has not been a moment this year when I've thought, 'missing Heath Shaw here', Cumming and Idun have covered that loss really well.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I've been watching Lachie Plowman. Poor guy seems all at sea (long sleeves pink boots don't help), but the Carlton system doesn't suit him.
Meanwhile, a draft or two later we picked up Broken Hill boy Isaac Cumming, who's had a really promising, dependable season.
There has not been a moment this year when I've thought, 'missing Heath Shaw here', Cumming and Idun have covered that loss really well.
I’m not missing the weekly ‘kick it out on the full’ from a kick in. So frustrating.

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Steele backing up to win another club B&F at Saints.

One of the few who left us and had his career take off.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Steele backing up to win another club B&F at Saints.

One of the few who left us and had his career take off.
Good luck to him, but certainly our loss.

I believe we had him marked as Ryan Griffen's replacement - Griffen added some needed steel to our young midfield in his first two years (2015-16), which coincided with Jack's time at GWS - and we wanted Jack to be a bit patient and bide his time. But Saints could offer him a full season in their engine room - they had the ''experienced players'' but lacked class/grunt, which Jack instantly added. But I don't think anyone quite saw the heights to which Jack would rise.

Back