Ex Norwood Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, only his name was Ugo, not Hugo. He also played some games for Woodville. Worked in a quarry and missed the 1980 Grand Final after having his finger crushed in an accident. I heard a rumour he became rich selling orange juice or something like that. Why were you asking about him?

Ugo was a handy player who didn't quite become a top line League player. Quite popular, from memory, a bit of a cult favourite with fans.

My Ugo Colasante stories are thus:

I first encounted Ugo in the Norwood district Under 13 competition. He played for Athelstone. I was tall for my age but I was no match for Ugo who stood an imposing 6'5" tall .... at 12 years of age!!! Not only was he tall, but he was also large, and in the Grand Final on a wet and boggy Daly Oval, I took front position for a boundary throw in, Ugo fell on top of me and buried me 6 inches deep in the mud.

I understand Ugo was a successful athlete with the shot put and held state junior records in this event. The next time I encountered Ugo was in the Norwood Under 17s. He was even taller, around 6'8", but he had lost his puppy fat and it was all muscle. He was awesome to look at and had an amazing physical presence on the field.

I recall a function at the Norwood Football Club where Ugo ate an entire steak in two bites, and sometimes after practice you would see him shove a bread roll or an apple into his mouth without taking a single bite.

He was not over-endowed with natural ability, not a strong overhead mark, but his stature ensured he was destined for some league matches at least. He struggled at first, but his last 2 years at Norwood saw him find his niche in the Norwood team. He was very good at running with opposition ruckmen and nullifying them.

I remember one day he just ran around next to Rick Davies all day. Rick took him to where the ball was and all Ugo did was punch the ball away. For the first and only time in league footy a player was given best on ground for just punching away a ball.

However, that was his true value for Norwood. In a good team he had a role to play, but after a terrific PF in 1980 he had a finger crushed in a work accident and missed the GF. It would be folly to suggest that had he played we would have won, but his on field presence was missed that afternoon.

In 1982, Woodville made a $30,000 offer to Norwood for Ugo's services. As Norwood were well off for ruckmen they cleared him. In the same week they recruited Neville Roberts from West Torrens for $37,000. So, in a deal costing only $7,000 Norwood lost a dispensible ruckman and gained a 100 goal forward. Sale of the Century!!!!!

I recall the Woodville coach Rod Olsson complaining that Ugo wasn't taking enough marks around the ground, so he dropped him. But that wasn't Ugo's fault, he NEVER took a lot of marks, that wasn't his forte. I think after that he rejoined Athelstone in the now-defunct SAFA and played some serviceable football for them.

Quite a character was Ugo.

Still rememeber him featuring on the rough stuff in the way it was '81 video, best not to be within about a 10ft area if he decided to swing those arms at something!

He also made a handy bouncer at Sams. Him, Neil Button, Jim Thiel. Never much trouble inside the place! I think John Wynne's wife managed it for a while too.

Ford Fairlane said:
He also made a handy bouncer at Sams. Him, Neil Button, Jim Thiel. Never much trouble inside the place! I think John Wynne's wife managed it for a while too.

Ah yes ... Sams Disco!!! Great memories, I had forgotten about that, and the guys you mentioned were all indeed bouncers. Luckily I knew them all and never had any problems :)

Unfortunately, memories are all we have of Sams Disco since they levelled the place earlier this year. SAMS ..... requiescat in pace.

I never had any trouble with them either ... cos I had the sense not to ********** them off!!!

But it was never the same after they relaxed the "no tie, no entry" rule ...

Well...I know Hugo Colasante because he is my dads cousin. My name is Natasha Colasante. Does anyone know my dad, Peter?

Infact, Hugo got 'rich' because he used to sell those Icy drinks...he used to go to festivals and sell those frozen cokes, he also had a yiros burger truck and sold icecream too. I would help out. :)

choc_a_holic said:
Well...I know Hugo Colasante because he is my dads cousin. My name is Natasha Colasante. Does anyone know my dad, Peter?

Infact, Hugo got 'rich' because he used to sell those Icy drinks...he used to go to festivals and sell those frozen cokes, he also had a yiros burger truck and sold icecream too. I would help out. :)

He's related to you ??? So is his name Hugo or Ugo ??? Sure your name isn't Suzie ?? :D

I went to school with Frank colasante and also Ugo went to same school but years earlier Campbelltown high
I have known Ugo for a long time but haven't seen him for over 20 years . Got a new job and who's truck I load ? Ugos
Unbelievable was good to see him forgot how big he is and still is ! works hard and is a genuine man made of steel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Ugo Colasante stories are thus:

I first encounted Ugo in the Norwood district Under 13 competition. He played for Athelstone. I was tall for my age but I was no match for Ugo who stood an imposing 6'5" tall .... at 12 years of age!!! Not only was he tall, but he was also large, and in the Grand Final on a wet and boggy Daly Oval, I took front position for a boundary throw in, Ugo fell on top of me and buried me 6 inches deep in the mud.

I understand Ugo was a successful athlete with the shot put and held state junior records in this event. The next time I encountered Ugo was in the Norwood Under 17s. He was even taller, around 6'8", but he had lost his puppy fat and it was all muscle. He was awesome to look at and had an amazing physical presence on the field.

I recall a function at the Norwood Football Club where Ugo ate an entire steak in two bites, and sometimes after practice you would see him shove a bread roll or an apple into his mouth without taking a single bite.

He was not over-endowed with natural ability, not a strong overhead mark, but his stature ensured he was destined for some league matches at least. He struggled at first, but his last 2 years at Norwood saw him find his niche in the Norwood team. He was very good at running with opposition ruckmen and nullifying them.

I remember one day he just ran around next to Rick Davies all day. Rick took him to where the ball was and all Ugo did was punch the ball away. For the first and only time in league footy a player was given best on ground for just punching away a ball.

However, that was his true value for Norwood. In a good team he had a role to play, but after a terrific PF in 1980 he had a finger crushed in a work accident and missed the GF. It would be folly to suggest that had he played we would have won, but his on field presence was missed that afternoon.

In 1982, Woodville made a $30,000 offer to Norwood for Ugo's services. As Norwood were well off for ruckmen they cleared him. In the same week they recruited Neville Roberts from West Torrens for $37,000. So, in a deal costing only $7,000 Norwood lost a dispensible ruckman and gained a 100 goal forward. Sale of the Century!!!!!

I recall the Woodville coach Rod Olsson complaining that Ugo wasn't taking enough marks around the ground, so he dropped him. But that wasn't Ugo's fault, he NEVER took a lot of marks, that wasn't his forte. I think after that he rejoined Athelstone in the now-defunct SAFA and played some serviceable football for them.

Quite a character was Ugo.
Biggest hands you would want to see, unfortunately they were made of concrete

Remove this Banner Ad

Back