Current Ex Rebels President Assassinated by Sniper Shot at the Motorplex Perth - WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Of interest:

They still aren't saying what his name is. Open justice in a closed hearing and all that.

A Perth man accused of the sniper-style murder of Rebels bikie Nick Martin as he watched a drag race with his family at the crowded Kwinana Motorplex has admitted his guilt.

The 35-year-old man cannot be identified because there is a wide-ranging suppression order on his identity.

He appeared in the Stirling Gardens Magistrates Court this morning from an undisclosed prison wearing handcuffs.

The hearing was closed to the public — only court staff, lawyers, detectives involved with the case and members of the media were allowed to be present.

When the murder charge was read to him, he replied by saying "guilty".

He also pleaded guilty to one charge of doing an act with intent to harm which related to injuries suffered by Ricky Chapman — the partner of Martin's stepdaughter.

Mr Chapman was injured when the bullet that went through Martin lodged in his arm, while a child sitting nearby was hit by fragments of the bullet.

A charge relating to the child was discontinued, his lawyer confirmed.

After the incident police set up a special taskforce with the codenamed Ravello to investigate the shooting while the WA government offered a reward of $1 million for information that led to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.

The murder also led to a crackdown by police on bikie gangs which included raids on premises across the metropolitan area and led to charges being laid against more than 100 people.

After today's brief court hearing, the man was again remanded in custody and will face a sentencing hearing in December in the WA Supreme Court.

It is likely he will receive a life jail term and it will be up to the presiding judge to set a minimum term of least 10 years, which he must serve before he can be released on parole.

Lengthy jail term expected
Outside the court, the man's lawyer David Manera said his client's plea was an important step.

"There's a resolution, there's a final date, that'll be the 20th of December and he'll be sentenced on that date.

"He's saved many people what would have been an expensive trial.

"I think he's going to receive a lengthy term, regardless, but it's certainly helpful to his situation."

Mr Manera said he spoke to his client on most days and "all things considered" he was handling imprisonment "quite well."

"Despite the nature of the charge, he's quite a thoughtful person, he's quite an intelligent person and he's actually quite a sensitive person.

"I know that flies in the face of what he's charged with but that's how he appears to me."

Outlaw motorcycle gangs responsible: police
Acting WA Police Commissioner Col Blanche said the guilty plea was a significant development, not only for the community but also for investigators.

"The plea of guilty this morning shows that the investigation was thorough, was committed and dedicated by those officers and [it] has saved the state of Western Australia a significant trial," he said.

"The cost to the state would have been extraordinary."

He said outlaw motorcycle gang were "absolutely" involved in and responsible for the public execution of Mr Martin.

"I'm confident more people will be held responsible for this murder," he said.

"The investigation itself is not over. We will continue to see who was involved. We know outlaw motorcycle gangs feature heavy in this investigation."

He said police were working with the Justice Department to ensure the safety of the sniper in prison.

The deal might have been the injury to the kid charge. There's no reason to do him any favours.

The deal might have been the injury to the kid charge. There's no reason to do him any favours.

"He's saved many people what would have been an expensive trial."
"Despite the nature of the charge, he's quite a thoughtful person, he's quite an intelligent person and he's actually quite a sensitive person.

"I'm confident more people will be held responsible for this murder," he said.
"The investigation itself is not over. We will continue to see who was involved. We know outlaw motorcycle gangs feature heavy in this investigation."
He said police were working with the Justice Department to ensure the safety of the sniper in prison.

:think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We found that a consumer advocate, a public health scientist, and a health advocacy organization had all been targeted with Pegasus spyware. [MUSIC] This really caught our attention because one of the people, the public health researcher, was the director of a national public health lab, a government lab in Mexico. Why were these people being targeted with Pegasus? Well, it turned out that the thread that sort of connected them together was that they had all been advocating for more taxes on soda as a means to reduce childhood obesity. Now, why on earth, you might say, are a bunch of people who are concerned about childhood obesity being targeted with this creepy nation state tool? We don’t really know, but the most likely explanation is that somebody linked to the Mexican Pegasus operator was doing a favor for business, business that saw this kind of taxation as a potentially serious threat to their bottom line.

same language that tyrants have used to promote nationalism and authoritarianism. So, what scares me is that we inadvertently – if we buy into that language without being critical about it, without thinking critically, we inadvertently play into it and we inadvertently support that world. I think there’s absolutely room for smart people to work with authorities to do lawful targeting, absolutely. In fact, it happens every day. What’s concerning to me about players like NSO is that they’re totally unaccountable. In fact, they’re in court right now denying that they should even be accountable for hacking a US company and its users.

If you know the story of Hotel Rwanda, then you might have heard that the manager of the hotel was arrested last year on terrorism charges. He is not a terrorist; he’s a human rights activist. Now, I don’t know what’s going on with his phone, but a report from The Guardian recently came out and said that the American [00:55:00] daughter of the manager of the hotel was targeted with Pegasus. This leads me to believe that the Rwanda government is using it to spy on activists.

Then they end by saying NSO’s mission is to save lives by helping governments around the world prevent terror attacks, break up pedophilia, sex and drug trafficking rings, and locate missing children and people, and protect airspace from unauthorized drones flying over. Yeah, that’s great, but again, if countries use the tool for good, it doesn’t negate the fact that the tool is frequently used to spy on the wrong people and do harm to civil society.

Activists and advocacy groups? Seem like hardened criminals to me - where is the accountability going to come from?

We have already had the WA government say they used QR code info - whats to stop them going further?
Let’s face it , it’s just another instrument to facilitate corruption .
The bad will outweigh the good .

What's really going on? :$ :$ :$ This is embarrassing

THE MISTAKES

• X (killer) checks into the motorplex using the Safe WA App
  • He’s seen on CCTV. He didn’t disguise himself
  • He takes the barrel from the rifle he used to kill Martin to a gunsmith
  • He parks a boat that used to belong to the guy that paid him to do the hit in his front yard

What's really going on? :$ :$ :$ This is embarrassing
No s**t! Makes absolutely no sense to me. My brains in a questioning loop trying to make sense of it.
1. Was he that out of touch?
2. Could he really be that stupid?
3. Has he just played into someone's hands hook line & sinker?
4. Repeat.

It's a shake your head & say WTF kind of bewildering as it being told. So what is it that we don't know that gives it context that it can be understood? And.... Will we ever find out? Or... Is the answer to 1 & 2, simply, yes?

No sh*t! Makes absolutely no sense to me. My brains in a questioning loop trying to make sense of it.
1. Was he that out of touch?
2. Could he really be that stupid?
3. Has he just played into someone's hands hook line & sinker?
4. Repeat.

It's a shake your head & say WTF kind of bewildering as it being told. So what is it that we don't know that gives it context that it can be understood? And.... Will we ever find out? Or... Is the answer to 1 & 2, simply, yes?

He might as well have just walked in to the police station and handed himself in.

I'm kind of stuck on the defence lawyers words expressing his intelligence & wondering what motivated him to say that exactly.

Same here, I remember his lawyer looking a bit as if his client had revealed something extraordinary when he was outside the court being asked questions by the press. He said words the effect of "He's a very, very interesting person." Then again on his intelligence.

We're missing part of the story imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back