Excitement level for AFL season?

Hyped?

• 1/10 footied out

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • 3/10 slightly excited but enjoying other codes to much to care.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 5/10 mildly excited

Votes: 39 18.5%
  • 7/10 getting there.....

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • 10/10 PREMIERS 2018 !!!!!11111

Votes: 75 35.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Havent thought about it at all. Been watching NFL mainly but also bit of NBA, A League and before the winter break Bundesliga
What will you turn your focus to after next weekend?

I follow the NFL during the off season. Once that's finished I start getting excited about the AFL season.

As usual, it's pretty low key at this time.

Probably spending a bit more time on the game that usual, but that's due to last year, not the coming season.

It'll start to pick up a bit when the pre season starts and I''ll switch on with the obligatory thumping of the GWS reserves to open the season.

The standard since your team was winning flags is awful? The league was so s**t on one end 2007-2012, frankly I prefer the eveneness of the competition.

Not saying Geelong were the only good side. I rated Collingwood and St Kilda.

Hawthorn weren't as good as any of those sides and won 3 premierships. Because unlike Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda they were the only good team in it at the time. Now Geelong/Adelaide/GWS/Sydney/Richmond are the top sides and they're even worse again.

The bar has steadily been dropping since 2012.

Havent thought about it at all. Been watching NFL mainly but also bit of NBA, A League and before the winter break Bundesliga

Never got NFL. I was flicking channels today and saw an NFL game that had about 5:14 to go, or something like that. I wandered off and came back 30 minutes later and the same game was still on with about 0:42 to go. I could not help but wonder how it took 30 minutes to get through less than 5 minutes of actual play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd suggest the bar has been steadily equalising since 2012.

But Geelong/'St Kilda/Collingwood would destroy any of these spud teams. The gap wouldn't be small. They would be a cut above.

We're talking 150%/160% sides then and 120% sides now with 5 losses a season. It's not equalization, it's a mundane generation of footy.

I mainly blame high salaries and Paul Roos/Ross Lyons pressure element they've brought into the game.

Not saying Geelong were the only good side. I rated Collingwood and St Kilda.

Hawthorn weren't as good as any of those sides and won 3 premierships. Because unlike Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda they were the only good team in it at the time. Now Geelong/Adelaide/GWS/Sydney/Richmond are the top sides and they're even worse again.

The bar has steadily been dropping since 2012.

More like the others have caught up. I think the middle is substantially stronger than it was 5 to 10 years ago. Not saying they weren't very talented teams but also tactical innovation during that phase gave you a sustained edge over years whereas now it is countable in rounds.

I'm very excited about the AFLW as much as the AFL given the former is only 4 weeks away

And, sticking with the convention established in the thread...

I have been watching an enormous amount of the ashes and also a little bit of BBL when I'm allowed (blowing my sports credits on the ashes)

Watched a fair bit of the RLWC...watch the odd european soccer or union match when I'm up on the weekend

Never got NFL. I was flicking channels today and saw an NFL game that had about 5:14 to go, or something like that. I wandered off and came back 30 minutes later and the same game was still on with about 0:42 to go. I could not help but wonder how it took 30 minutes to get through less than 5 minutes of actual play.
Because of 1. Injury timeouts 2. Timeouts 3. Change of possession timeouts. 4. Reviews of previous plays. Tv show ads when these occur

Because of 1. Injury timeouts 2. Timeouts 3. Change of possession timeouts. 4. Reviews of previous plays. Tv show ads when these occur

NBA has improved in this way with reducing their timeouts. Much more watchable. The last 2 minutes of a close game used to last an eternity.

Sounds very complicated.

As far as I can tell NFL is a bit like chess and Rugby League. The big guys on each team are essentially the pawns, who are there to provide cover for the important pieces, while the important pieces throw or run the ball forward.

Excited about the new stadium, finally out of that shithole Subi. Looking forward to 21st open day when I can go and check out my seat.
Hopefully tickets will be more easily accessible for interstate supporters wanting to travel west to watch their side.

What's the capacity? 70K or so, yeah? Adelaide Oval transformed football in S.A. and the new Perth stadium will do the same for W.A.

Sounds very complicated.

As far as I can tell NFL is a bit like chess and Rugby League. The big guys on each team are essentially the pawns, who are there to provide cover for the important pieces, while the important pieces throw or run the ball forward.
My yank friends tell me that NFL is an amazing game, but if you haven't grown up with it it can be tough to "get". I've tried to watch it a few times but it bores the s**t out of me.

Next time I'm over in the States I'll have to watch it with them, maybe their passion and enthusiasm will rub off on me. Then again, my uncle has lived in San Fransisco since 1990 and he still hates NFL.

Hopefully tickets will be more easily accessible for interstate supporters wanting to travel west to watch their side.

What's the capacity? 70K or so, yeah? Adelaide Oval transformed football in S.A. and the new Perth stadium will do the same for W.A.
60k but there will be more tickets available for traveling supporters. I don't anticipate the will be a big influx of Victorian based supporters, but an increase from other states, especially S.A.

Back