Excitement level for AFL season?

Hyped?

• 1/10 footied out

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • 3/10 slightly excited but enjoying other codes to much to care.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 5/10 mildly excited

Votes: 39 18.5%
  • 7/10 getting there.....

Votes: 64 30.3%
  • 10/10 PREMIERS 2018 !!!!!11111

Votes: 75 35.5%

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Sounds very complicated.

As far as I can tell NFL is a bit like chess and Rugby League. The big guys on each team are essentially the pawns, who are there to provide cover for the important pieces, while the important pieces throw or run the ball forward.
Yes that's correct but the players who catch the ball are also thought of as important - they call the blockers the trenches and the qb, running backs and receivers skill position players

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
1/10...Not looking forward to the 57,900,876,567,000 words of complete BS that will be spoken uttered and typed about what was a simple game and in general terms still is. "Get ur hands on the *ing football". However this simple adage no longer applies and is now "Wait for the opposition to get the footy and *ing tackle them" I will switch on about July this year....maybe. April and June will be overseas...Good no Footy. I will have some interest in how Ablett performs at Geelong as I supported his retention. Will Richmond back up only other interest or will they do a Bulldogs. Other than that SFUYFA

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
1/10...Not looking forward to the 57,900,876,567,000 words of complete BS that will be spoken uttered and typed about what was a simple game and in general terms still is. "Get ur hands on the *ing football". However this simple adage no longer applies and is now "Wait for the opposition to get the footy and *ing tackle them" I will switch on about July this year....maybe. April and June will be overseas...Good no Footy. I will have some interest in how Ablett performs at Geelong as I supported his retention. Will Richmond back up only other interest or will they do a Bulldogs. Other than that SFUYFA

Curmudgeonry in excelsis

Curmudgeonry in excelsis

only people in their mid 20s are just as confused and disenchanted. we grew up watching Brisbane v Port, Sydney v West Coast etc. now we have overhyped 20 year olds running 18 person structures

Balls deep into a cricket season (coaching and playing) so getting a nice break from it. AFLX seems an absolute wank and waste of time. The old toes should get the twitch around mid Feb. Then I'll be keen for it I reckon. Should be a great season. Can the tigers back it up? Will the Bulldogs get back up there? The return of Ablett to Geelong, will the swans slide? Kennett and his big mouth will light it up. The pies and Bucks etc etc. Heaps to unfold.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not overly, but allowing myself limited time dwelling on recent past so called non events of not making finals.

Gotta get over the cricket and the tennis which will keep me less focussed on the footy and then hoping the team will
work on making every game count, i.e. winning rather than less than winning.

Rackets, blades, then balls and footy, I guess the winter games will be 'snow' small entertainment as well.

Working out the itinerary for all these things are what i am concentrating on for now.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Not wanting to be a kill joy but i find myself watching less and less footy.

Tackling and congestion and crowded 50m arcs makes the game unenjoyable as a spectacle unless Betts or Bont or someone does something freaky

I love the narratives and the business side of football clubs launching for a tilt but the game itself has too many players on the field and too few tests of players one on one abilities

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Curmudgeonry in excelsis
I am crushed by your analysis. Bad Tempered Surly No doubt....Excelsis....Gloria in excelsis Deo" (Latin for "Glory to God in the highest") is a Christian hymn known also as the Greater Doxology (as distinguished from the "Minor Doxology" or Gloria Patri) and the Angelic Hymn./Hym of the Angels The name is often abbreviated to Gloria in Excelsis or simply Gloria. WTFDTM

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Back to back,whats not to be excited about
sheesh shove over dude you are getting tiresome... winter's flock is always less than able to work properly..

let it be hard and let it be relentless the onslaught towards the Tigers.. gosh i am getting tired of them..

boredom is always a curse and we never want to get into that in the 'real' season..

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Getting definite withdrawals now the Ashes is over. The four test series against the Saffers will be great during March but not much doing before then.

Will watch a bit of the tennis and a bit of EPL, although as a Hammers fan there isn't much to like.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
More excited for the Gillon rumour out of anything. I identify as a woman and we love nothing more than destroying powerful white 5ft2 males (see hollywood).

2018 is strange.... once again I feel maybe 8-10 teams can win it if they get it right.
Crows, Cats and Giants should all be top 4 locks but who knows.... I think (and hope) the premiers will come outside of that 3 personally.
Interesting to see how the Hawks go.... anywhere between 10-6 i'm expecting, 8-6 would be fantastic though.

Lots of dark horse teams ready to explode imo.... Essendon, St Kilda, Port Adelaide and even Brisbane to an extent... maybe even GWS can take it to another level IF they can get it together.

Going to go out on a limb and say a Port Adelaide v Essendon grand final... with both their lists currently would be a great spectacle!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So BF how hyped are you for the 2018 AFL season?

I am enjoying the EPL, A League & Champions League/Europa League.
However i don't enjoy Cricket or Tennis.

My interest in EPL, A league and whatever you were on about does not even have a pulse, I could not be less interested for them than I am.

I have enjoyed some of Test Cricket, small doses of Big Bash batting by Lynn and co. Quite excited for the Cricket in South Africa for us to play 4 Tests there against a major rival at a time no team is clear best in world. That will be a fun test. That will nicely get me to the football season that will have me excited to see our exciting young talent at Carlton learn to play together more. Will take some interest in Australian Open Tennis when it gets underway but will only watch bits and pieces until a match up draws me in like a Djoker v someone very good.

Plenty of stuff going on. My schedule is full up on sports I like so rare Friday and Saturday this weekend when nothing on that especially grabbing me. After Ashes series over time to smell the roses a bit.

My interest in EPL, A league and whatever you were on about does not even have a pulse, I could not be less interested for them than I am.

I have enjoyed some of Test Cricket, small doses of Big Bash batting by Lynn and co. Quite excited for the Cricket in South Africa for us to play 4 Tests there against a major rival at a time no team is clear best in world. That will be a fun test. That will nicely get me to the football season that will have me excited to see our exciting young talent at Carlton learn to play together more. Will take some interest in Australian Open Tennis when it gets underway but will only watch bits and pieces until a match up draws me in like a Djoker v someone very good.

Plenty of stuff going on. My schedule is full up on sports I like so rare Friday and Saturday this weekend when nothing on that especially grabbing me. After Ashes series over time to smell the roses a bit.

We are gonna be batting on some serious green mambas over there. Gonna be a brutal series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We are gonna be batting on some serious green mambas over there. Gonna be a brutal series.

Be nice to see a bit of green on a pitch I hope you are right. If so don't expect Australia to make a lot of runs..the techniques are not there. Those Green Mambas going to strike!...Mind you our bowling (fast) should do Ok. Good series ...bring it on ..the Poms were shite.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm excited because North are going in to a season with so many unknown variables due to the youth ratio of the list. I would have to go back to 1990 to find a similar year.

As for the game itself, it's hard to get that excited about a game that has become so sterilised. I once used to go to 2 and sometimes 3 matches over a weekend, now I have little interest outside of my own club. The "disneyfication" of football has made it increasingly mundane and boring. The corporates have diluted it in to a bland money generating enterprise.

And predictable

In test cricket it seems the away team folds like a deck of cards

It will be tough over there. It's funny to think that in international cricket, there's no one standard on pitches to be played on. The curators are gods. The ball is gonna seam big time. Aussies are no chance.

Back