Analysis Exit Interviews - 2017 Player Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll do these player by player over the next week or so.

1. Travis Boak.
Our skipper didn't have his best season. With the emergence of SPP, and carrying a suspected injury, he started in an outside role as a HFF/wing, and took a long time to adjust. He still averaged 22.5 disposals, and kicked 19 goals, which by AFL standards is a good return for his position, but his influence was diminished by the role, and it wasn't until later in the season, when his midfield time increased, that he played some outstanding games. His leadership on-field was also below his best - in close games, when the game was there to be won, he wasn't often involved. Trav's disposal was often poor for a player of his quality - too often missing relatively simple passes, and fumbling at inopportune times. A player who can and must lift his game to another level to drag us further up the ladder in 2018.

2. Sam Powell-Pepper. What a revelation the 2016 #18 draft pick was! Hard, tough and controlled, he endeared himself to every single supporter throughout the season, and was a quiet period late in the season away from winning the Rising Star. It is rare for a first year player to earn so many minutes at the centre bounce, yet he more than held his own matched up against some of the premier AFL mids. His fend-offs were legendary, his attitude was first-class and his care for his team-mates showed true leadership qualities. Despite tiring noticeably in the last third, Sam still averaged 17 disposals and kicked 16 goals, and only had <15 disposals 4 times. It's hard to criticise a rookie on those numbers, but if anything, he needs to take a little more care with his disposals. I'm sure this will come with maturity, along with extra strength and stamina, for SPP to develop into an All-Australian and a star of the comp.

3. Jake Neade. Pulled his annual trick of playing a few games, getting dropped, then returning with impressive results late in the season to ensure that he stays on the list. Early, I saw a few Magpies games, and I would have thought that Jakey was on the precipice. His disposal count was low, he wasn't doing much with what he gathered and there didn't seem to be a spot in the AFL team for another small forward, but when he came in for the last 4 games, he averaged a respectable 17.5 disposals and icked 6 goals. More than that, however, he made an impression for his pressure acts and tackling. I still think he is suspect with his disposal, but if he can maintain the levels that he played at in the Elimination Final he should finally cement his spot.

4. Paddy Ryder. All-Australian ruckman. Says it all about his season, yet the stats and awards still don't reveal enough about his influence on the 2017 Power. Everything that we missed with his suspension in 2016 was exposed - the deft tapwork, the mobility and presence around the ground, the freedom that he gave to the part-timers to ply their trade properly in other positions. Paddy averaged nearly 38 hitouts, and a large percentage were not only to advantage but defining taps that set a team-mate running free. If critique must be made, he only booted 11 goals, and would be mindful of contributing more both when resting forward and when rucking in the forward lines; and he saved his worst for the last and most important game, when West Coast's makeshift duo targeted him and took him down. Early on, a discipline lapse in the first Showdown cost him a suspension for the GWS game, which many of us thought was winnable with his presence, but overall Paddy is an integral part of the team, and must be among the favourites for the Jack.

5. Matthew Broadbent. His first part of the season was fairly good. Broady gets lambasted a bit unfairly at times, but he was consistent and penetrating, averaging 18 touches up to round 13, after which his season was ruined by a persistent ankle injury. He only played 3 more games after that, and wasn't the same, but got back late with the Magpies and should be around for another season. He will have to work hard to oust Bonner, Hartlett, DBJ, Houston et al, however, and despite his loyalty and love for the club, may be used as trade bait or elect to look for further opportunities in the next 14 months. At 27, Broady should be in his prime, and I for one like him and hope that he can recapture his best form and fitness.

6. Angus Monfries. Started off the season injured, and was working his way back into form with the Magpies when another injury struck him down just as he seemed on the cusp of senior selection. Unfortunately, at 30 it appears that his career is over, as he seems certain to be delisted. Gifted what should amount to a farewell game against the Crows in the second Showdown debacle, I am at least pleased that the club honoured our commitment to Gus post-suspension, and I wish him well in his retirement.

7. Brad Ebert. Brad had a really consistent season, averaging nearly 26 disposals playing almost exclusively as a starting midfielder. The role suits his strengths as a player, and he delivered his best year, IMO. What stood out most was that his strong overhead marking has returned, and he often got us an exit from defence. His disposal was generally more reliable, too, despite a couple of glaring exceptions. He will be in contention for the Jack, and should finish top 5. Also entering his prime at 27, if the club is to develop into a premiership contender, he will be a vital cog as the defensive midfielder.

8. Hamish Hartlett. By his own admission, not aerobically suited to the midfield, but developed into a half-back general's role as the season progressed. Averaged 17 disposals, and is one of the few players whom I trust to make the right decision and execute it consistently with the ball in his hands. His defensive nous grew as he learned his role, and the move to the backlines could become one of Hinkley's masterstrokes in years to come. Now a mature, experienced player, Hamish has the football intelligence to be the glue that forms a premiership backline. I would like to ssee him drift forward more when we have the ball locked in, to use his penetration to score over the congestion, but I expect that will come with time.

9. Robbie Gray. A rumoured groin injury, constantly denied by the club, saw Robbie start the season exclusively forward, where he is very dangerous and earnt AA selection, but I can't help feeling that he is wasted out of the action, and he vindicated this belief when his non-injury healed and he started to split his time in the midfield. Before this happened, a bag of 6 v Fremantle, and five goal hauls against Carlton and Collingwood demonstrated his quality wherever he plays, but too often against top teams he was shut out, with only 14 goals in 10 games against eventual finalists. A total of 47.29 doesn't show it, but he was undoubtedly shaky with set shots throughout, and didn't show enough dedication to improving (or admitting) this publicly. When he did gain more midfield time, he was creative and clever, but with the ascent of the bull mids, seems destined to be a forward who pinch-hits in the centre when the team is in trouble.

11. Aaron Young. A let down from his 2016 season, when he loomed as a dangerous HFF. He just never recaptured that form in the seniors, and only played 13 games for 11 goals this season, perhaps pushed down the order by Boak and Robbie playing more forward minutes. When he did go back to the Magpies, he looked far too good for SANFL, and should poll well in the Magarey as a midfielder. I've always liked Youngy; always said he reminds me of Andrew Obst , but as it stands, he is depth at best for us as both a forward and a midfielder, and may be of more value on the trade table. He just seems to lack urgency and polish at the highest level, and cannot nail down a spot in a side that was relatively settled.

12. Jackson Trengove. Poor Jacko. I regard him as the heart and soul of the club, a genuine character in a playing group which is largely vanilla publicly and a demonstrably loyal and noble club man who will do whatever his coach asks him regardless of his capacity to do so. After being yanked out of a key defensive role last season to play as an undersized but whole-hearted ruckman in Paddy's absence, this season he was asked to go forward, where he has never played and was obviously unsuited, to draw some of the opposition tall defenders away from Dixon, and he stuck to his task as best he could, booting 17.12 in 20 games before being scapegoated after the Showdown massacre when suddenly sent back into defence, where he hadn't played permanently since 2015. Then, to be replaced by a first year player in attack, and by a returning knee victim in defence, and being unable to earn selection despite putting in every effort that could be asked of him in the Magpies...if he chooses to exercise his free agency rights, then everyone will understand. And despite all of that, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he remains loyal and signs on again, and I would welcome having such a versatile extroverted presence in our team going forward. Please stay, Jacko :(

13. Todd Marshall. After a solid SANFL start, found himself selected for the last 3 games, and whilst his influence on those matches was minimal, there were glimpses of the reasons we took him at #14. Has a presence that belies his youth, but a body that doesn't, but with another pre-season under his belt and a residency in the gym, he looks to be an exciting long term prospect supporting Dixon in a key forward post. Leads at the ball strongly, and has Westhoff-like agility at ground level, while his goalkicking action looks reliable.

14. Billy Frampton Yet to debut, but impressed with the Magpies before heading in for a service and tuneup early, in a sign that selectors are considering him as a 2018 debutant. An aggressive big man with a strong pair of hands, I fear that he might just be that inbetween size of too short to hold down first ruck against the AFL monsters, yet too tall to be mobile enough to play as a KPF/pinch-hitting ruckman. But his attitude will endear him to supporters.

15. Karl Amon. Lifted his game to another level, playing as an outside midfielder to average 19 disposals this year, up from 15 in 2016. Lost a chunk of games to injury, but in a sign of his status came right back in to the senior team. Has shed the soft edges, and uses the ball nicely. If anything, he needs to be more imposing on games rather than anonymously accumulating, but I get the feeling that Karlos will be a fixture for many seasons

16. Ollie Wines. Ollie handled his elevation to VC better than his predecessors Hartlett and Ebert, maintaining consistency and adding strong overhead marking to his game. Over 27 disposals on average, and selection in the AA U/22 team reminds us of his still tender years. Oll may have actually benefitted from the "no third-man up" rule, as he recorded zero hitouts, down from 63 last season, meaning he was at ground level around the stoppages and winning more ball. He still looks awkward and cumbersome with his kicking, only scoring 15.16, and his efficiency seemed poorer by hand than previously, so some off-season work on skills and technique may improve him further, but we can be so glad that he is an obvious candidate for succeeding Boak in the #1.

17. Tom Clurey. TC became a regular in the senior side this season, and played every game to surely win the Most Improved. Was solid and reliable as full back, playing generally on the most threatening opposition tall, and though he gave up a few goals, was rarely visually outmatched. His positioning is excellent, reflected in the low number of out-the-back goals conceded, and his marking and disposal were beyond reproach. To build on this season, Tom needs to show the running capacity for which he is famed; to become dangerous enough to drag his opponent upfield and build on his disposal count, which hovered around 11 this season. Because he is so precise by foot, he could become a great attacking fullback, if given license to do so.

18. Jimmy Toumpas. Only played 2 games for the Power, and is possibly under the guillotine, but Jimmy actually had a pretty good season for the Magpies, playing across halfback in the Hartlett role. He accumulated disposals in most games, and from all views and reports used it well, so I think that he could possibly be worth retaining as insurance, although we are well-stocked in his spot. But another season at the Magpies in the form he showed may force selection, and if he can transfer his SANFL form into a breakout game at the top level, he might make a career yet. He is only 23, after all. The knocks on him are still lack of pace and composure under pressure, but I haven't given up on him yet.

19. Matt White. Coming off a missed season, Whitey only managed 7 games, and while he still showed the pace he possesses is a definite asset, there doesn't appear to be a spot for him anymore, and he is a probable delisting. His issue has always been involvement, and it was thus even at SANFL level too often; he can flash in and out of games but is invisible for long periods, and the swelling of our midfield has forced the likes of Boak and the Grays out into the spot he hopes to hold. Too bad for Whitey - by all reports a ripper bloke, but at 30 his career looks over.

20. Chad Wingard. Not the Chad's best season. Realised his ambition of more midfield minutes, and lifted his disposal average from 17 to 22 as a result, but for all of that, his influence fluctuated from outstanding to poor. He seemed to lose his goalsense, booting 24.25, and was noticeably less reliable from set shots. And while he showed that he is a class above with his clean handling and vision, he also made crucial errors at critical moments, none more so than in extra time in the Elim. However, the midfield move seems fairly permanent, and we do benefit by having some class to complement the grunt, so if he can work on his goalkicking and influence games in both midfield and resting forward roles in the same manner as Robbie, he is still a class above the average player.

Last edited:
21. Jared Polec. Only missed the one game, and proved to be an important link layer from the wing, averaging a career-best 22 touches and kicking 11 goals. Polly is frustrating, in that for such a skilful player, he has obviously never bothered to take time to feel comfortable using his opposite foot, and this deficiency is what is holding him back from the elite category. It is a failure of his coaches, as well, but a professional player has no right to not develop such a glaring weakness. Added to that, he often calls for the ball whilst running onto his right foot, and has to prop or manufacture a party trick. Despite all this, he manages to find space, and has deceptive pace as well as the ability to win the ball in tight. He is one of the few players in the team with what I call a proper trajectory on his kick, so that it travels quickly to the target, and has terrific feel for weighting and kicking to advantage. But he needs to work on his one-sidedness, and as demonstrated in the Eliminator, his tackling can be considered to be flimsy and easily shrugged off.

22. Charlie Dixon. Big Chuck had his best ever season, playing every game and booting 49 goals. More than that, though, he provided a presence which was unmistakeable, and played the team game as a decoy when necessary to clear space for Robbie and the other smalls to take advantage of. His marking was much improved this year; he seemed to soften his hands and as a result led the league in contested marks, and he was usually accurate with his goalkicking, though it failed him in the biggest game of his career. But as a beacon in the forward line, we haven't had such a presence since Tredders retired, and he can only get better if he is given the support at selection to leave him one-out with his opponent. I am impressed with his agility - for such a giant, he has good skills at ground level, and his enthusiasm and attack on the ball and the opponent creates a menace. The only critique is that I would like to see him kick more goals from outside 50, but his improvement will come when he feels comfortable that his body can last the distance.

23. Matthew Lobbe. Still under contract, which is lucky for him because he looks like the game has passed him by. No games this year, and at SANFL level still exhibited the same deficiencies that he has always struggled with. He gets his hands to enough ruck contests; it's what happens next that lets him down. He doesn't seem to have any feel for where his midfielders are, and often hits to opponents' advantage. And for a ruckman, he just doesn't mark it enough, nor gather enough disposals to make himself damaging. His tackling and competitiveness at ground level are his only saving grace. If we can offload him, or elect to pay him out, he just seems to be playing out time, and we really ought to have taken the best offer a couple of seasons ago, but at the time he was more highly regarded and required.

24. Jarman Impey. Jars is rapidly becoming the supporters' whipping boy. At this stage, 4 seasons into his career, his sole redeeming feature is pace. Played 20 games after serving a club-imposed suspension for the Norwood Demolition Derby, for a poor average of 12 disposals and less than a goal per game, and was dropped for the last 2 H&A rounds before being inexplicably selected for the Elim, where he exhibited the same failings that got him dropped in the first place. He looks like he should be a footballer, but has never developed the composure required to hit targets after breathtaking runs, or hold marks that he should swallow or lay the timely tackle, and has been overtaken as a small forward. Jars may be used as trade bait, especially if his mentor Trengove leaves, and it would be a failure of our coaching and development of him if he becomes the player he promised to be at another club, for he has AFL quality attributes, but just hasn't been professional enough or disciplined enough to address his inadequacies.

25. Logan Austin. Only played 2 games, and was schooled by Hogan, before playing out the season in the Magpies. Fair to say that he regressed slightly, partly due to the health of his senior competitors for a KPD, and partly through a lack of improvement in his game. He is big enough and strong enough to play on AFL KPFs, but his reading of the play is still below the standard, and he looks like being a depth player for the foreseeable future. May be put up for trade, but the value offered back will probably not be enough to tempt us to offload him.

26. Riley Bonner. Jasper Pittard without the drama. Riley forced his way into the top level after a solid season with the Magpies, and played the last 3 games impressively enough to suggest that he is definitely a challenger for a permanent senior role. Has a beautiful, penetrating kick, is quick and elusive, and has developed a better defensive focus than he initially had. I can see him displacing Pittard, Amon or Impey next season, and maybe playing more of a wing-back role.

27. Brett Eddy. I don't see the point. Why we would pick up a 27yo full forward, play him in every practice match, upgrade him and play him in the first 3 matches, then drop him to the SANFL and refuse to select him to fill a glaring need in our forward line, when he is in great form and winning another goalkicking medal. The fixation with the one tall + resting second ruck structure cost us games, and Breddy seemed to me to be the obvious choice to A) take some focus off Charlie, and B) allow Jacko to play as a third tall, and perhaps be a greater influence. The public knock on Brett was his lack of forward pressure - from what I saw live, on telly and from reports, he worked hard on this part of his game at the Magpies. He is a strong mark, a long, accurate kick and has the brain of a key forward - leading to the right areas, clearing space for others to operate in and identifying match-up advantages. It seems his cards have been marked, and it wouldn't surprise me if Brett was delisted. Which he doesn't deserve, but for most other coaches, looking at our forward line, he would have played 10+ games this season, IMO. I can only hope that the coaches have a frank reappraisal of selection policies, and retain him for another season.

28. Willem Drew. The only 2016 draft selection not to debut, but he looks promising as a midfielder. He will find it difficult to crack a spot open, though, and may be competing with the likes of Young and AhChee for a midfield rotation role. Willem played a lot of midfield minutes in the SANFL, and had some high disposal games. He is clean, fast and has good skills, on both sides of his body. He is a good size, and with more bulk can become a better contributor for the Magpies at the beginning of next season, and I look forward to seeing him step forward over the next couple of seasons.

Last edited:

29. Jasper Pittard. Elected not to take the FA exit, and signed on for another deuce, which may prove to be a mistake on everyone's behalf. Jasper hasn't taken the steps forward that he looked destined to; he still has moments of madness and indecision almost every week, as demonstrated by his ridiculous push on the flimsy old man Petrie in the Elim. It didn't cost a free goal, but I'm sure everyone else held their breath too. Played 17 games for a 20 disposal average, but booted 0.7. While he is a long kick, he is not a damaging user, and for the amount of hand-off shots he takes from the 50, should kick more goals. I would not be disappointed if Bonner took his spot, and even Toumpas is pushing Jasper's heel. For someone who came to the club reputed to have an outstanding footy brain, too often he seems empty-headed. At least we have some currency for him on the trade table in 2018 if he continues to stagnate.

30. Joe Atley. Forced his way into the top level mid-season after a consistent run of quality games for the Magpies, and while he didn't set the world on fire, showed that he was not overawed or physically unready, and can be expected to play more senior footy next year. Strong inside the contest and with breakaway speed reminiscent of Judd, Joey may be obstructed by the similar types who are already established, like Ollie and SPP, so may need to develop his outside game more to hold down a spot. But he demonstrated during the SANFL season that he can play against men, accumulate possessions and kick goals, and appears to have a future at AFL level.

31. Aidyn Johnson. Debuted as a late replacement in round 5 against Carton with 2 goals, and in a sign that the selectors really like his pace, came back in for the last 4 games of the H&A before being dropped for a more experienced player in finals. To be honest, I was surprised that he got the call-up - in the Magpies gasmes I saw, he didn't stand out as an exhilarating prospect, though he was contributing. Showed his explosive pace a couple of times, and had moments when I thought that we may have uncovered a player, but as young HFFs tend to, he disappeared for long periods. Needs to become more consistent during games, or to demonstrate a goal-sense that hasn't yet been shown, to force his way into the team on a more permanent basis

32. Dougal Howard. Along with Marshall, offers hope in the developing KPP department. Came back quickly from a knee reco, and played at CHB for the Magpies to allow him to run straight at the ball, and he excelled so much in this role that he earned promotion to AFL at Jacko's expense in round 21, and held his spot for the final. Strong, fast and confident, Doogs may be the second tall forward that we need to support Charlie while Marshall develops, as he is a natural forward with a relaxed, proficient kicking action, can take a good mark and knows how to lead, but if the treatment of Jacko forces him to use his free agency rights, then we at least have a competent tall utility who can play on the mobile tall opposition KPFs. Long may the calls of DOOOOOOOOGGGGS!!! ring out over North Adelaide!

33. Darcy Byrne-Jones. Continued to cement his spot in the side in 2017. Played every game, often as the lock-down small backmen on some of the most dangerous small forwards in the league, and still managed to average 16 disposals. Had a bit of a flat patch mid-season, but fought through it to finish off with several strong games towards the end. DBJ reads the play well, is competitive and not easily outmarked, and generally uses the ball efficiently. Efficient is the best word for Darce - he often goes unnoticed, but keeps his opponent under control and positions himself well. He is probably stuck in that back pocket for the foreseeable future given our plethora of attacking halfbacks, but should he get an opportunity to move upfield, wouldn't disgrace himself. Just needs to be more prominent to get the recognition he deserves after only 2 seasons in the top league.

34. Will Snelling. Played the entire season as the grunt midfielder for the Magpies, and improved as the season went on, but never really looked like adding to his sole game from last season. As a rookie, must be under some pressure to remain on the list, given that Atley and Drew have gone past him for a midfield grunt spot, and considering his size and speed disabilities, can't really reinvent himself as a small forward. Too bad - in a team bereft of midfielders, Will would make for a serviceable AFL player, but for us, he's just too far back.

36. Jack Hombsch. Struggling to take the next step in his career. Jack has had his past two seasons now ruined by injury, and although he played 13 games this year, always looked hampered with his knee heavily taped, his mobility restricted and his kicking below is best. It was no surprise that he was eventually sent to the operating theatre early, and we can only hope that the hip operation will restore him to full health, as at his best he has demonstrated that he is our best option at full back, allowing Jonas and Clurey to be more effective and even freeing up Doogs to go forward.

37. Jesse Palmer. Didn't add to his three games in 2016, but spent the year developing as a link-up forward in the Magpies, and has shown enough to warrant perseverance. Capable of taking a strong mark, and usually accurate, Jesse just looks to be a bit hesitant in choosing the right option, and slow to get the ball on, so he will need to improve this facet of his game to force his way into the Power team. Although he was probably earmarked for the Monfries role, he hasn't shown enough defensive nous or elusiveness to claim a spot over the established medium forwards yet.

38. Peter Ladhams. Development ruckman, who played all season for the Magpies, but it was telling that he was one of the players dropped for SANFL finals when the restrictions came into play. At 19 years of age, and 200+cm, he will get another year on the rookie list before a decision is made on whether to upgrade him. Showed in the SANFL that he can take a mark, is active around the ground and is capable around goal; whether that translates into an AFL career, only time will tell.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back