EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So the SAFL would govern the AFL? o_O

The AFL is a league, not a sport. A pet peeve of mine, and yes, I'm pedantic.
Get the barriers out , the tide in Qld and NSW is a Tsunami. Its not football, its AFL. ''wanna go outside and play AFL?''

So with the potential changes averted but with an air of chamge within the SA Football Commission, now is the time for consideration of a state league football commission across states, consideration of state based relegation and promotion and a national league below the AFL.

For all those talking about not enough players I look at the Crows. Brought in ex basketballer Hugh Greenwood who benefitred from a strong state league competition, have had a number of mature recruits that were deemed not good enough at under 18 level but then show their quality later in life. All this points to why a strong second and third tier of aussie rules football is important.

We have an alright state keague but due to the compromise it is no longer well suppprted. Its death would kill development. So many supporters want more for their clubs than a state league premiership which isnt the same value anymore. Imagibe how good it woukd be to see one of the clubs climb up to the top level, Brisbane for one doesnt deserve to be there right now anyway

I honestly still think if we're gonna have a South Australian National Football League, may as well have it South Australian and not Adelaide based.

Cue teams from Mount Barker and Gawler.
Agreed

How good would it be to see Echunga or Hahndorf get promoted up to SANFL after an amateur leagues champions playoffs.

Further, imagine a national second division where Claremont, Norwood, Subiaco, North Hobart competed against the relegated Brisbane Lions and Carlton.

Would changes be needed, absolutely. Could it be done if Tassy, SA and WA had a single state football commission. I believe so

Why because of talk of amalgamation? It is change but not healthy change.

Its a healthy change if they are forced to introduce other teams or risk becoming a pathetic 7 team competition.

For mine, it would create a lot more interest if the SANFL had the uniqueness of being an open competition that any Ammeter team could aspire to compete in.
Surely it would bring a freshness about the whole competition every season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly still think if we're gonna have a South Australian National Football League, may as well have it South Australian and not Adelaide based.

Cue teams from Mount Barker and Gawler.
Because Mt Barker and Gawler are soooo far from Adelaide.
You suggest expanding outside of Adelaide and go as far as these two outer suburbs. Bold move.

I can't see why any state league club or comp would even consider P&R if it didn't extend to the top tier. As I've mentioned previously, it's easy for AFL supporters to push for this but they want their own AFL clubs to be protected and their reserves teams to be protected from the same P&R rules......just like transfer fees and salary caps.
What a f***ing circle jerk.

Because Mt Barker and Gawler are soooo far from Adelaide.
You suggest expanding outside of Adelaide and go as far as these two outer suburbs. Bold move.

Lol ever been to either of them? Mount Barker is 20-30 minute drive at most. Gawler around 30.

I can't see why any state league club or comp would even consider P&R if it didn't extend to the top tier. As I've mentioned previously, it's easy for AFL supporters to push for this but they want their own AFL clubs to be protected and their reserves teams to be protected from the same P&R rules......just like transfer fees and salary caps.
What a f***ing circle jerk.
Agree completely, P&R up to the top tier would be ideal but AFL wouldn't buy in unless forced.

Supporters need to embrace it. As a Nottingham Forrest supporter the club use to be Premier League but got relegated. If they only played in say an East Midlands competition, even winning it would be a bit boring. But because promotion exists its bloody exciting.

This is what Aussie Rules needs as even the best seasons can get a bit boring across all the leagues. October and November would be awesome for playoffs across ammos in each state ans the state leagues vying for second division and ultimately second division playoffs for AFL.

Agree completely, P&R up to the top tier would be ideal but AFL wouldn't buy in unless forced.

Supporters need to embrace it. As a Nottingham Forrest supporter the club use to be Premier League but got relegated. If they only played in say an East Midlands competition, even winning it would be a bit boring. But because promotion exists its bloody exciting.

This is what Aussie Rules needs as even the best seasons can get a bit boring across all the leagues. October and November would be awesome for playoffs across ammos in each state ans the state leagues vying for second division and ultimately second division playoffs for AFL.
I've thought about this for years and I doubt the AFL would ever put their precious Victorian clubs at risk of relegation.

Due to low population and Tyranny of distance in Australia, I think P&R would have to be on a 5 year cycle. Over that time clubs earn or lose P&R points. If you make finals you get so many points, play in a GF, win a premiership, if your club makes a profit etc. With each of these the AFL invest in these clubs to help get their facilities up to scratch.
Teams that are run poorly, cheat rules and aren't successful (finish in the bottom two lose points.
After 5 years points are added up and the best 2-3 across the state leagues get promoted and the worst get relegated.
How that works with AFL reserves teams I don't know.

Probably could.
If they were able to spend $300k and bring in 20 new players then maybe. Currently the gap is enormous. The best country/ammo sides in the state would be lucky to get within 10 goals of SANFL reserves sides. I just think it would be a long way off currently. The concept sounds great but the infrastructure isn't there just yet. Most ammo grounds don't have fences which would be a requirement and a lot of work required to get grounds up to standard.

Echunga and Hahndorf, good as they are, wouldn't last. Mount Barker would at least have the support and population as would Gawler
Gawler wouldn't have the support. The 3 local clubs have over a hundred years of support and the the locals are very rusted on. All 3 clubs despise each other immensely and are happy in the BL&G comp. I don't know anyone in Gawler who would abandone their side to support a SANFL side.

I've thought about this for years and I doubt the AFL would ever put their precious Victorian clubs at risk of relegation.

Due to low population and Tyranny of distance in Australia, I think P&R would have to be on a 5 year cycle. Over that time clubs earn or lose P&R points. If you make finals you get so many points, play in a GF, win a premiership, if your club makes a profit etc. With each of these the AFL invest in these clubs to help get their facilities up to scratch.
Teams that are run poorly, cheat rules and aren't successful (finish in the bottom two lose points.
After 5 years points are added up and the best 2-3 across the state leagues get promoted and the worst get relegated.
How that works with AFL reserves teams I don't know.
I like the idea of P&R but that died 30 years ago for me.

I like the structure you have set up , but another way is to have a signing on bonus similar to the Premier League. I can recall the excitement for 1 EPL team , not for making the Premier League , but that they were about to receive $125million UKP. This enabled them to field a better team/player/facilities etc

Gawler wouldn't have the support. The 3 local clubs have over a hundred years of support and the the locals are very rusted on. All 3 clubs despise each other immensely and are happy in the BL&G comp. I don't know anyone in Gawler who would abandone their side to support a SANFL side.
No reason why you can't support local clubs plus the state league side, especially if it's a new composite team of the best BLG players.

Back