EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Promotion/Relegation system would never work in the SANFL for the following reason: Money.
SANFL clubs struggle big time financially, adding extra clubs or getting clubs who are promoted enough money to compete at the higher level would be impossible considering the SANFL is a state competition and lacks any interest outside of SA.
After all the SANFL clubs voted against NT thunder joining the competition 6or so years ago because the 4hr flight would be too much... Imagine them having to drive to Coober Pedy for a game if they made it up the promotion ladder to be in the top tier.

Promotion/Relegation system would never work in the SANFL for the following reason: Money.
SANFL clubs struggle big time financially, adding extra clubs or getting clubs who are promoted enough money to compete at the higher level would be impossible considering the SANFL is a state competition and lacks any interest outside of SA.
After all the SANFL clubs voted against NT thunder joining the competition 6or so years ago because the 4hr flight would be too much... Imagine them having to drive to Coober Pedy for a game if they made it up the promotion ladder to be in the top tier.

Coober Pedy would never be promoted.

If you read all the posts properly, the idea everyone is thinking of is having the SANFL and SAAFL as one comp with the promotion and regulation with other teams like Mount Barker or Spencer Gulf involved.

Bit of trivia with Coober Pedy- the footballers travel the night before due to the distance - their home ground is in Roxby.

This is going to happen eventually.

Mark my words.

Its not a bad idea. The problem is the league teams are allocated recruiting zones and I doubt they would give that up so every team is given an even shot at getting into the SANFL. The other issue is that even the worst team in the SANFL would be far superior in talent to the best SAAFL club purely due to the recruiting zones. If the Goodwood Saints rocked up to play the Crows reserves today that would have been a 100 point plus flogging any day of the week.

Its not a bad idea. The problem is the league teams are allocated recruiting zones and I doubt they would give that up so every team is given an even shot at getting into the SANFL. The other issue is that even the worst team in the SANFL would be far superior in talent to the best SAAFL club purely due to the recruiting zones. If the Goodwood Saints rocked up to play the Crows reserves today that would have been a 100 point plus flogging any day of the week.
I don't expect this to happen until there is a national reserves competition.

AN SANFL team will pump every team in the amateur league + amateur league grounds are nowhere near as good. especially the old scholars teams that play at schools

They have to be give a chance to strive to the next level though!

A crowd of 900 at South on the weekend is deplorable, the SANFL needs a renewed sense of interest.

At the moment its a boring old antique that needs a serious upgrade.

They have to be give a chance to strive to the next level though!

A crowd of 900 at South on the weekend is deplorable, the SANFL needs a renewed sense of interest.

At the moment its a boring old antique that needs a serious upgrade.

Shocking crowd. Was that due to Port being there? Some SANFL fans won't turn up to see the AFL sides in the SANFL.

Shocking crowd. Was that due to Port being there? Some SANFL fans won't turn up to see the AFL sides in the SANFL.
No.

Ports crowds (home and away) are probably below average but not because of the whole AFL reserves thing. A lot of people are well and truly past an over it now (still a fair few that aren't).

SANFL crowds as a whole are down and the League needs to act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

Ports crowds (home and away) are probably below average but not because of the whole AFL reserves thing. A lot of people are well and truly past an over it now (still a fair few that aren't).

SANFL crowds as a whole are down and the League needs to act.

There is no way of acting the league were warned by many people, by having AFL in the comp that the fans didnt want it.

This iis exactly what has happened.

Any suggestions on how to stop this, or is it too late?

There is no way of acting the league were warned by many people, by having AFL in the comp that the fans didnt want it.

This iis exactly what has happened.

Any suggestions on how to stop this, or is it too late?

Merge with the SAAFL, bringing two teams into the SANFL, and adopt promotion + relegation.

"Merge with the SAAFL, bringing two teams into the SANFL, and adopt promotion and relegation.........as long as my club doesn't have to abide by the relegation rules"
Yeh right PAFC rules 101. Do as I say, not as I do.

Merge with the SAAFL, bringing two teams into the SANFL, and adopt promotion + relegation.

That still doesn't fix the problem that people aren't going because of the AFL teams, what if Norwood and a Glenelg get relegated crowds would be a lot lower! That idea could have the opposite affect and lower crowds even more and probably will!

That still doesn't fix the problem that people aren't going because of the AFL teams, what if Norwood and a Glenelg get relegated crowds would be a lot lower! That idea could have the opposite affect and lower crowds even more and probably will!
I think that's what most posting on here are angling for. When they don't include their club in the relegation proposal you know it's just a piss take and a distraction away from the $15m the SANFL pumped into a failing franchise.

SANFL commission has to bear a fair bit of blame for the falling crowds. The byes are killing the comp, perfect weather and some teams are playing 1 game in 3 weeks. Scheduling is a shambles, South Adelaide are traditionally low drawing but why would send Port reserves down to Noarlunga when the AFL side were playing not long after and people couldn't attend one game and get home to watch the other. Then you have Port advertising and telling their members to attend the Port club rooms at Alberton where both games would be shown on TV.
The game was obviously live on C7 which didn't help. Wait until the rain and cold of winter sets in there will be plenty of games with poor crowds. I personally know dozens of Norwood supporters who don't attend anymore due to the reserves coming in and personally my spend has gone from several thousand a year to a couple of hundred and the day a AFL reserves team wins the comp will be the day I finish up at SANFL level

SANFL commission has to bear a fair bit of blame for the falling crowds. The byes are killing the comp, perfect weather and some teams are playing 1 game in 3 weeks. Scheduling is a shambles, South Adelaide are traditionally low drawing but why would send Port reserves down to Noarlunga when the AFL side were playing not long after and people couldn't attend one game and get home to watch the other. Then you have Port advertising and telling their members to attend the Port club rooms at Alberton where both games would be shown on TV.
The game was obviously live on C7 which didn't help. Wait until the rain and cold of winter sets in there will be plenty of games with poor crowds. I personally know dozens of Norwood supporters who don't attend anymore due to the reserves coming in and personally my spend has gone from several thousand a year to a couple of hundred and the day a AFL reserves team wins the comp will be the day I finish up at SANFL level
There's been byes for years. The drop off is purely due to the AFL reserves teams.

There's been byes for years. The drop off is purely due to the AFL reserves teams.
Not the byes like there has been this year, fans just can't get any fluency.
I do agree the reserves debacle has turned away fans in droves but can't say we didn't warn them.
I stood up at Norwood several times at meetings and warned the club but they went against the members wishes and look where we are now and it's only going to get worse

Back