EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the byes like there has been this year, fans just can't get any fluency.
I do agree the reserves debacle has turned away fans in droves but can't say we didn't warn them.
I stood up at Norwood several times at meetings and warned the club but they went against the members wishes and look where we are now and it's only going to get worse
Previous to the reserves teams entering all teams had at least three byes. One of the "benefits" of the reserves teams entering that was pushed by the media was that it would get rid of the bye.

Shocking crowd. Was that due to Port being there? Some SANFL fans won't turn up to see the AFL sides in the SANFL.

As Great8 indicated in another post, the scheduling couldn't have been poorer from South's point of view. Apart from games against the Ravens, I've never seen such a meagre turn-out from the opposition supporter base at Noarlunga (although Westies went close earlier this season).

Having said that South's crowds have been really concerning all year, especially on the back of 7 wins from 7 starts at home and in the main decent weather too. It's the same old faces every week, and like all SANFL clubs, its an aging supporter base.

As for Port, well they sit 8th in home match averages (ahead of only South, not counting the Ravens) and 8th in overall attendance (ahead of South and West). The Magpies are only a meek shadow of their former selves, and predictably few people care enough to go and watch them.

Crowds are 6-7% down on the same time last year (which was a all time low). Something has to give. Will the SANFL acknowledge and address the issues? Doubt it.

I think that's what most posting on here are angling for. When they don't include their club in the relegation proposal you know it's just a piss take and a distraction away from the $15m the SANFL pumped into a failing franchise.

Franchise?

You're a little confused.

As Great8 indicated in another post, the scheduling couldn't have been poorer from South's point of view. Apart from games against the Ravens, I've never seen such a meagre turn-out from the opposition supporter base at Noarlunga (although Westies went close earlier this season).

Having said that South's crowds have been really concerning all year, especially on the back of 7 wins from 7 starts at home and in the main decent weather too. It's the same old faces every week, and like all SANFL clubs, its an aging supporter base.

As for Port, well they sit 8th in home match averages (ahead of only South, not counting the Ravens) and 8th in overall attendance (ahead of South and West). The Magpies are only a meek shadow of their former selves, and predictably few people care enough to go and watch them.

Crowds are 6-7% down on the same time last year (which was a all time low). Something has to give. Will the SANFL acknowledge and address the issues? Doubt it.
IIRC there was a very poor crowd at Alberton earlier in the year when they played South. I don't think there was much over 2000 when Sturt played at Alberton last week, I'd say more than half the crowd were Sturt supporters. Port becoming a reserves team was a poor decision when it comes to attendances.

Previous to the reserves teams entering all teams had at least three byes. One of the "benefits" of the reserves teams entering that was pushed by the media was that it would get rid of the bye.
4 byes this year plus state game so 5 weeks without my team playing this season and we have 2 byes in 4 weeks coming up soon.
Round 1 only had 2 games to start the season whilst the other 6 teams had byes, not a great way to start the season if you are trying to sell memberships and I think it was North that only played 1 game in the first 3 weeks. Port having a Reserves, reserves has thrown the comp out of kilter as now we have a 10 team SANFL comp, 9 team Ressies comp and 8 team U18 comp so we had the bizarre situation at Norwood last week where we had a triple header against 3 different sides.
And don't get me started on the Ravens demands that have been nothing short of a disgrace, some of the things I saw last week were ordinary to say the least

IIRC there was a very poor crowd at Alberton earlier in the year when they played South. I don't think there was much over 2000 when Sturt played at Alberton last week, I'd say more than half the crowd were Sturt supporters. Port becoming a reserves team was a poor decision when it comes to attendances.

Yeah, just over 1300. Felt/looked like fewer.

Personally, games against Port used to the most anticipated on the schedule, not anymore.

4 byes this year plus state game so 5 weeks without my team playing this season and we have 2 byes in 4 weeks coming up soon.
Round 1 only had 2 games to start the season whilst the other 6 teams had byes, not a great way to start the season if you are trying to sell memberships and I think it was North that only played 1 game in the first 3 weeks. Port having a Reserves, reserves has thrown the comp out of kilter as now we have a 10 team SANFL comp, 9 team Ressies comp and 8 team U18 comp so we had the bizarre situation at Norwood last week where we had a triple header against 3 different sides.
And don't get me started on the Ravens demands that have been nothing short of a disgrace, some of the things I saw last week were ordinary to say the least
I agree it's not good but we've had odd scheduling with byes previously. Nothing new

Crowds are declining maybe they would have if AFL teams weren't in the league maybe they wouldn't. But the vocal objection which the clubs ignored is the major concern. If the clubs can halt the decline and convince those supporters to return to the SANFL then all will be fine. Not sure on their plan to how they will do this though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the SANFL doesn't go the way of the VFA.

Pretty sure its going that way, although only two teams are treating the league as devlopment ground. Two ways to handle it ensure those two teams are perenial bottom dwellers to keep the supporters of the teams looking to win the flag happy or they have an AFL reserves comp. When I asked how do you get the supporters that have left to come back you will need to show them by running AFL players through the league it wont disadvantage their team, there are really only two solutions to that.

Last edited:
I feel like a broken record on Big Footy proposing this but until there's a reserves league I think this is the best option and the 8 clubs can sell some semblance of integrity back to the supporters that have walked away. To me it's a definite no brainer for the VFL also.

The SANFL salary cap is adhered to when it comes to finals thus both reserves teams do not qualify, they bow out after competing for the league wide minor premiership, make more of the minor premiership like soccer and call it the South Australian Shield or something.

Both reserves teams break away to compete for their own best of five mini finals which can either be played before the SANFL finals, separately or as a curtain raiser to an AFL final (not sure that's possible), call it The James Bond Cup or similar. Ok, I'm taking the piss there but naming it after brother from both clubs is an idea.

The 8 SANFL clubs work to a separate SANFL ladder throughout the year that doesn't include games against the reserves teams, the top 5 is formed from this, they play finals as normal.

This allows both AFL clubs to work their reserves teams however they wish during the year and especially during finals, they could agree to have a larger bench if they want during finals to give more players a run.

Personally I'd like to see the SANFL GF to go back to the week after the AFL GF so it doesn't get lost amongst the AFL hype. As the reserves teams won't be playing finals this won't affect them.

Hopefully during the year a better fixture can be made which lessens byes and possibly gives both reserves teams to have byes at the same time (apart from their AFL imposed byes) so they can have a trial game together if they want.

The VFL can do similar where the stand alone and the AFL aligned clubs break away from each other and play seperate final series. Again, AFL clubs can do as they please with players without affecting the integrity of finals for the stand alone VFL clubs as has happened in recent years.

There's been byes for years. The drop off is purely due to the AFL reserves teams.
Bullshit the decline has been on for years.

If you think pulling them out that itwould grow you are seriously delusional.

It needed to be restructured years ago.

2015 188,562
2014 253,201
2013 236,163
2012 259,242
2011 291,209
2010 276,583
2009 263,125
2008 275,842
2007 258,308
2006 255,446
2005 259,331
2004 253,597
2003 260,137
2002 279,113
2001 272,041
2000 266,910

Last year was an all time low, this year could be lower, do you care to talk more BS?

Yes there's been declines over the years and I'd say that it pretty well stabilised in the last decade before the reserves teams, from there it's gone south in a big way. You may think it needed restructuring but it hasn't been to the benefit of attendances.

2015 188,562
2014 253,201
2013 236,163
2012 259,242
2011 291,209
2010 276,583
2009 263,125
2008 275,842
2007 258,308
2006 255,446
2005 259,331
2004 253,597
2003 260,137
2002 279,113
2001 272,041
2000 266,910

Last year was an all time low, this year could be lower, do you care to talk more BS?
Well there you go Chadster, there it is in black and white just for you. I didn't even have to read Marty's post to know what I was talking about.

Well there you go Chadster, there it is in black and white just for you. I didn't even have to read Marty's post to know what I was
2015 188,562
2014 253,201
2013 236,163
2012 259,242
2011 291,209
2010 276,583
2009 263,125
2008 275,842
2007 258,308
2006 255,446
2005 259,331
2004 253,597
2003 260,137
2002 279,113
2001 272,041
2000 266,910

Still equals about

Well there you go Chadster, there it is in black and white just for you. I didn't even have to read Marty's post to know what I was talking about.
Wow 2000 a game yep going gangbusters.

Get rid of the AFL teams and watch the crowds come flodding back.

Ha ha WTF ever.

Back