Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanga man

Senior List
Feb 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What should the next phase of expansion look like ater 2012?

I've been thinking that with Geelong's success, we could definately support another team to the west. Maybe in Colac, or Warrnambool.

Also, with St.Kilda playing at the Docklands we need a full Mornington peninsula team. We can't aford to lose the Mornington Peninsula or Bairnsdale to Rugby League.

I reckon by 2020, it should be like this.

WEST DIVISION
West Coast
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
Colac
Geelong
Broome
Mt Gambier
Port Lincoln
Kalgoorlie Heat (like Miami Heat)

VIC
North Melbourne
Moe
Mornington Peninsula
Bairnsdale
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn
Richmond
St.Kilda

NORTH
West Sydney
Sydney
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Tweed Heads
Wagga Wagga
Taree
Dubbo
Goulburn
Broken Hill
Cape York Sharks

The top 4 teams in each division go to the finals, and it works like the NFL playoffs with 12 teams.

A six team ACT Division, comprising-

Canberra
Tuggeranong
Belconnen
Canberra West
Queanbeyan
Ainslie

...fights out the lower divison and the premier of that gets promoted to the AFL replacing the team with the worst record.

I think this would unite Australia. What does everyone think!

Anyone else feel like that have read this exact thread at least20 times before?

Seriously though, do you seriously think there is a talent base to fill the rosters of 30 clubs, let alone find grounds for them to play on, sponsors to bankroll them and supporters to watch them play?

• Banned
Anyone else feel like that have read this exact thread at least20 times before?

Seriously though, do you seriously think there is a talent base to fill the rosters of 30 clubs, let alone find grounds for them to play on, sponsors to bankroll them and supporters to watch them play?

Yep I do, because the game will massively grow with the extra teams.

I was thinking 32 teams like the NFL, so maybe an extra one in Mount Isa, or Parkes. Geraldton is also a possibiity with the huge growth in WA.

Goulburn would be a huge growth area for AFL. Then that whole Canberra, Goulburn, Sydney, Parkes square would be owned by the AFL.

If the AFL REALLY wanted Canberra to be solid territory, they should have NOT vetoed Fitzroy's attempt to establish a base there in '95. Enough said.

And yet a moron like Oakley STILL gets inducted into the Hall of Fame for his efforts. Closest thing in the AFL to Kennett in politics as far as I'm concerned. Blood-sucking vampire he is.

We are struggling with a few clubs now and we have just over half of the amount of teams you have proposed. This isn't America where they can sustain 30 teams in the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB.

We are struggling with a few clubs now and we have just over half of the amount of teams you have proposed. This isn't America where they can sustain 30 teams in the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB.

Wait until next season/year, even the US will struggle. MLB and NBA in particular.

Hey! The south east suburbs of Melbourne growing at an extraordinary rate, I think one of the fastest in Australia, so why not an AFL team for one of Narre Warren, Dandenong or Pakenham. (As a Collingwood supporter, I'd rather Pakenham or Dandenong, because then there'd be a worst supporter base than our own)

You'd be surprised at what the AFL could sustain. I know someone whose Dad used to work at a then VFL club back in the day and he reckons they could support 30 teams.

There is definately scope to add Alice Springs in the mix too. Imagine the tourism opportunitues.

And it would shore up Alice Springs as AFL territory forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got to be kidding me :eek: Honestly mate you have no idea. American leagues can support so many teams because over 300 million people live there... and more often than not it's one team per city per sport. You want to put a professional sports club in places like Bairnsdale with a population of 10,000? Think about it champ.

You'd be surprised at what the AFL could sustain. I know someone whose Dad used to work at a then VFL club back in the day and he reckons they could support 30 teams.

There is definately scope to add Alice Springs in the mix too. Imagine the tourism opportunitues.

And it would shore up Alice Springs as AFL territory forever.

Then why has there been talk of mergers and relocations for the past 20 years.

You've got to be kidding me :eek: Honestly mate you have no idea. American leagues can support so many teams because over 300 million people live there... and more often than not it's one team per city per sport. You want to put a professional sports club in places like Bairnsdale with a population of 10,000? Think about it champ.

But you're not thinking beyond the square.

Having a team in bairnsdale or Moe, would shore up those areas as AFL territory for the next 100 years.

Do you want to just sit on your hands and do nothing? If we do that, Basketball and Rugby Legaue could encroach on those places and then the s**t hits the fan big time.

Having a team in bairnsdale or Moe, would shore up those areas as AFL territory for the next 100 years.

Do you want to just sit on your hands and do nothing? If we do that, Basketball and Rugby Legaue could encroach on those places and then the s**t hits the fan big time.

Haha, Basketball is nearly dead in this country. It's a shame but I don't think the AFL is looking over its shoulder in fear of basketball challenging them.

Ah yes, the 'sleeping giant' that is Rugby League in Gippsland... FFS!

417.gif

It's all very inspiring trying to include all corners of Australia in the AFL, but how do you propose a club in Bairnsdale will be able to financially compete with a Collingwood or Essendon? Do you think "Tony's Pies" major sponsorship deal would be enough to assist Bairnsdale in keeping a player like Dean Cox or Gary Ablett on their list when Collingwood starts throwing money at them?

We'd all love for this to happen. But you're not thinking about this. You're not thinking about the money required for an AFL club to be competitive.

Haha, Basketball is nearly dead in this country. It's a shame but I don't think the AFL is looking over its shoulder in fear of basketball challenging them.

But a lot of people play basketball. We don't want people in Moe playing Soccer, or basketball because there are no AFL opportunities.

We have to think of the future. Imagine the rivalry when Bairnsdale played Moe! Tell me you wouldn't want to see that! They would hate each other!

I'd like to se the Kangas play 3 home games in Bairnsdale because of our crappy stadium deal. At least until they get their own team in the AFL.

lol i think country vic needs a side to re-vamp enthuseism out here . . . not saying bendigo because i live there but what about ballarat or shepparton . . . bendigo needs something cause the bombers suck and no-one goes to there games anymore . . . . hmmm ballarat eureakas ??? lol bairnsdale no

It's all very inspiring trying to include all corners of Australia in the AFL, but how do you propose a club in Bairnsdale will be able to financially compete with a Collingwood or Essendon? Do you think "Tony's Pies" major sponsorship deal would be enough to assist Bairnsdale in keeping a player like Dean Cox or Gary Ablett on their list when Collingwood starts throwing money at them?

We'd all love for this to happen. But you're not thinking about this. You're not thinking about the money required for an AFL club to be competitive.

You can always think of a reason why you can't do it. But what about the 1000 reasons why you should.

Think of how much the people in Bairnsdale and Moe would want it. Don't they count?They would love their own AFL team. And think of the blockbuster when they played? Would there be a more fiercely contested local derby?

It's time this started being the people's game again.

FFS

I have no doubt that there is enough money to support some more teams post West Sydney, but seriously as each team enters the competition the harder it is for a team to win a premierhsip and the longer the droughts will be. 16 really was the limit for me, now its gone too far. 12 teams was and is ideal in terms of premierships coming along often enought to warrant years of membership money and following of the club and game. please dont go any more teams. You can have as many conferences as you liek but at the end of the day only 1 team wins the premiership. And I am not in favour of losing any existing clubs. What makes our game great is the tradition, the rivalry, the neighbourhood battles, the competition within cities etc. etc. The only thing I would even consider would be perhaps a second division where the team that finished top would have the opportunity and moving into the Premiership division and the lsoer of teh Premiership division moves down, but imagine that was your team. Sure would solve the tanking problem though.

NORTH
West Sydney
Sydney
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Wagga Wagga
Taree
Dubbo
Canberra/Queanbeyan
Broken Hill
Cape York Sharks
Newcastle/Hunter would make more sense than Taree; and Albury-Wodonga would make more sense than Dubbo. But even they wouldn't make much sense.
Anywhere north of the Murrumbidgee River has Australian Football very much in the minority. And unless you've got a major population centre, it's going to be very hard to raise enough public interest and corporate sponsorship. Taree has a population of 20,000, Dubbo has about 35,000, neither has the corporate headquarters of any major companies or significant corporate base, and I doubt there'd be 1,000 Australian Football fans in either city.

And either this division or one of the others surely could manage a Tasmanian team. Tasmania would be more viable than Port Lincoln or Colac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back