Review Expansion club list build composition

Remove this Banner Ad

That reminds me: who in the thread is asking for, in your words, "immediate success"? Success is certainly no less than making finals, in anybody's footy dictionary.
No one. That's exactly the problem. You keep bringing it up so that you can rant about how stupid it is, but no one is even arguing with you.

I've just been talking about what Hawthorn needs in order to be somewhat competitive--i.e. if not on Richmond's level, then at least Essendon's. Characterising that as an unreasonable expectation actually is textbook strawman arguing.
I don't know what Essendon's level exactly is, given they have so far got a very similar profile. but it looks like Port Adelaide will have 13 AFLW players if they get them all in. Another four are reportedly going to come across from Gold Coast.

No one. That's exactly the problem. You keep bringing it up so that you can rant about how stupid it is, but no one is even arguing with you.
What a warped recollection. The only time I've mentioned, or even alluded to, "immediate success" is my last post in which I was quoting you.

One poster said Hawthorn's list build has been "fine", clearly arguing with my assessment and so far removed from reality that it deserved a rant or two in reply.

I don't know what Essendon's level exactly is, given they have so far got a very similar profile. but it looks like Port Adelaide will have 13 AFLW players if they get them all in. Another four are reportedly going to come across from Gold Coast.
Yeah I think Essendon and Hawthorn have gone about list builds very similar so be interesting to see how they go compared to each other, plus the other two teams, and how they track in their early years compared to other expansions. The quick turn around doesn't help, and as pointed out the improved pay conditions meant most haven't been tempted to move.That could change next off-season.

Expecting finals or their seasons are a failure (as well as any other team who a long way back) is just not a realistic or fair metric to judge these teams by.

For the record Essendon have 10 on their list who were regularly selected to play last AFLW season. Port will have 7 (arguably 9) once the GC trades are done. Sydney have 3 (arguably 6), and Hawthorn currently have 3 (arguably 4, but maybe more to come).

North Melbourne had 13 on their initial list, Geelong had 4, Gold Coast had about 6, Richmond 5, St Kilda 4, West Coast 5.

There shouldn't be any confusion about which clubs are tracking similarly.

So Port has 13 AFLW and 8 Open Age. The common theme is that the Open Agers are mostly 17-19 year olds (including the Cockatoo-Motlap girls with a family connection to the club). Doumanis and McGrath are the only established state leaguers, while De Melo is out of the state leagues but has AFLW experience.

Essendon has 10 AFLW and 10 Open Age. Of the Open Agers, one is an overage draft player, and 8 are from our own VFLW team, with 5 of those having previous AFLW experience. The remaining 3 are our reigning club BnF Eloise Ashley-Cooper, and two small forwards (Tierney and Frew, who is leading the VFLW goal kicking this year). The tenth open age player is a ruck from Carlton. The common theme is they're a bit older. We only have four players under 22, including Prespakis and Van De Heuvel.

Sydney has 8 AFLW and 13 Open Age. Only 1 of the Open Agers is from their Academy so far, with ~8 living in NSW altogether (including GWS AFLW recruits, the Academy player, and Sarah Ford). Their Open Agers are predominantly from all different VFLW clubs, so are moving interstate and don't necessarily know each other. Thematically they mostly seem to have reasons for not getting the best out of themselves before now (because they’re studying or trying to get a career off the ground since it’s a part-time league) and have previously worked with the coach at North Melbourne or Dandenong Stingrays.

Hawthorn has 7 AFLW and 12 Open Age. Two of the Open Age signings are NAB League overagers, 8 from their own VFLW team and two from other VFLW teams. Of the VFLW players there are a load of 20-22 year olds, their VFLW captain and former Saint Tamara Luke is their ruck, Kemp is a former Demon and the other 3-4 are mature state league.

I’m not sure about the AFLW players at the other three teams, but Essendon seem mostly to have targeted AFLW players for the forward line: two small, two medium and two talls. Then two mids and two defenders (in rough terms, some are multi-position players). I feel like we might be trying for more of the latter via trade but no whispers yet.

For the record Essendon have 10 on their list who were regularly selected to play last AFLW season. Port will have 7 (arguably 9) once the GC trades are done. Sydney have 3 (arguably 6), and Hawthorn currently have 3 (arguably 4, but maybe more to come).

North Melbourne had 13 on their initial list, Geelong had 4, Gold Coast had about 6, Richmond 5, St Kilda 4, West Coast 5.

There shouldn't be any confusion about which clubs are tracking similarly.
Somewhat amusingly Hawthorn's write up for Ashmore (above) is that she's joining nine other experienced AFLW players at Hawthorn (they're counting Luke and Cunningham from their VFLW team who previously played AFLW).

If we're counting everyone with AFLW experience even if they didn't play in the last season, Essendon would be sitting at 15 out of 20. 🤔

Port would be on at least 14, 13 from last season plus De Melo. I'm not sure about the others they've got off the top of my head.

Sydney just have the 8 who played last season I think. robbieando might know more specifically though.

Somewhat amusingly Hawthorn's write up for Ashmore (above) is that she's joining nine other experienced AFLW players at Hawthorn (they're counting Luke and Cunningham from their VFLW team who previously played AFLW).

If we're counting everyone with AFLW experience even if they didn't play in the last season, Essendon would be sitting at 15 out of 20. 🤔

Port would be on at least 14, 13 from last season plus De Melo. I'm not sure about the others they've got off the top of my head.

Sydney just have the 8 who played last season I think. robbieando might know more specifically though.

Swans have 10 who played last season and 11 who have played AFLW in total

ADELAIDE'S premiership win is still fresh in the memory, but pre-season for the NAB AFLW Season Seven starts on Monday.

It means games are just a few short months away, and four new teams will be joining the competition for the first time.

After the Sign and Trade Period, these lists are well on their way to completion, so how do the sides look on paper?

Just a reminder if you're a new fan to AFLW – the competition runs as 16-a-side on the field, with five on the interchange bench. This was brought in with an eye on reducing congestion around the stoppages, and teams play in a 5-6-5 formation at centre bounces.
ESSENDON

B:
Sophie Alexander, Danielle Marshall
HB: Cat Phillips, Ellyse Gamble, Eloise Ashley-Cooper
C: Steph Cain, Jordan Zanchetta, Sophie Van De Heuvel
HF: Georgia Gee, Frederica Frew, Daria Bannister
F: Bonnie Toogood, Jacqui Vogt
Foll: Jorja Borg, Maddy Prespakis, Georgia Nanscawen
Int: Bella Ayre, Renee Tierney, Joanne Doonan, Caitlin Sargent, TBC

Goalkicking options shouldn't be an issue for Essendon, who have recruited several noted scorers. As it stands, the bench is filled with forwards, with the Bombers needing to boost their midfield numbers through the draft. They have a ready-made wing rotation with Cain, Van De Heuvel, Phillips and Gee, while Alexander is likely to play defence given the number of options in attack.
HAWTHORN

B:
Lou Stephenson, Jess Duffin
HB: Akec Makur Chuot, Eliza Shannon, Ainslie Kemp
C: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Tamara Smith, Aileen Gilroy
HF: Tamara Luke, Sophie Locke, Kate McCarthy
F: Sarah Perkins, Tahlia Fellows
Foll: Tegan Cunningham, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Dom Carbone
Int from: Jenna Richardson, Isabelle Porter, Catherine Brown, Janet Baird, Bridget Deed, Zoe Barbakos

There'll be a distinct blue and white flavour to Hawthorn's inaugural side, given the acquisitions of former Roos Duffin, Gilroy and Ashmore, all of whom will add a touch of class. The Hawks will be leaning heavily on state league and draftee talent, but there's plenty of experience in the key roles at both ends with Stephenson, Duffin and Perkins. The Hawks have indicated Cunningham is likely to spend much more time in the ruck than in her previous life as a Melbourne forward, while Luke can also pinch-hit when required.
PORT ADELAIDE

B:
Indy Tahau, Alex Ballard
HB: Cheyenne Hammond, Ange Foley, Jacqui Yorston
C: Ebony O'Dea, Hannah Dunn, Justine Mules
HF: Gemma Houghton, Jade Halfpenny, Kate Surman
F: Erin Phillips, Britt Perry
Foll: Liz McGrath, Maria Moloney, Abbey Dowrick
Int from: Tessa Doumanis, Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap, Laquoiya Cockatoo-Motlap, Maggie MacLachlan, Jade De Melo, Olivia Levicki, Julia Teakle

Structurally, Port Adelaide has built a fairly solid side. The tall defensive stocks are a little slim, and 19-year-old Tahau will have to take the No.1 forward, as she did at Brisbane earlier this year. Phillips, Houghton and Surman all have genuine match-winning ability in attack, and the Power should bring in some strong South Australian draft talent, particularly through the midfield.
SYDNEY

B:
Brenna Tarrant, Jaide Anthony
HB: Maddy Collier, Bella Smith, Eliza Vale
C: Lisa Steane, Molly Eastman, Brooke Lochland
HF: Sarah Dargan, Lexi Hamilton, Aliesha Newman
F: Bec Privitelli, Sarah Skinner
Foll: Ally Morphett, Bridie Kennedy, Kiara Beesley
Int from: Sarah Ford, Ella Heads, Lauren Szigeti, Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Zoe Hurrell, Aimee Whelan, Paige Sheppard, Alice Mitchell*, Montana Beruldsen*

* = ineligible for open-age signing as have never previously nominated for the draft. Will now have to be selected through the draft.

While the Swans didn't manage to land their star player despite repeated attempts, they have built a well-balanced squad. They have more than enough options to rotate through the middle (a hallmark of coach Scott Gowans' time at North Melbourne and Collingwood), while Smith and Tarrant can also line up in attack if required. The Swans aren't expected to be overly big players in the draft, having already fleshed out most of their squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back