AFLW 2019 Expansion - Welcome North/Tas and Geelong (WCE, GC, Rich, Stk in 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

That the AFL has opened the process up to clubs outside of those with provisional licences suggests to me that there's markets outside of the provisional licences that AFL considers an immediate priority. Whether this is more blockbusters or location based is unknown, but Gold Coast would seem most likely in respect to the latter.

I think its more reflective of the success being beyond what the AFL itself predicted, and given that, it probably feels that other clubs should have a chance to re-evaluate their concerns in light of that success.

Unsure how the AFL approach WA and a bid by WCE for 2019. Do they want a strong Freo before WCE come in the comp. Even though Freo had a bad AFLW1 but looks to be stronger in 2018. The alternative is get WCE in ASAP and let them grow together, a Derby and two equal teams not a big and little sister.
Potentially a WCE could gut Freo of players.

I would like to see a building block of a NEAFL for either U18 prior to the NAB Championships or Academies. As SA is treated as minor state and part of the Allies. Academies from Adelaide, NT Thunder, Giants, Brisbane and maybe form a Gold Coast Academy.

Richmond is stepping up their posturing.

Clubs are desperate for a licence. This is going to be such a messy process, this could turn into a political nightmare for the AFL because whatever clubs miss out are not going to be happy in the slightest.

I think they could bring in a second division in 2019 and bring in 8 teams. Initially top 2 in the existing division have the week off and 3rd and 4th play the top 2 in the other division for prelim finals spots

Eventually you could move from there to a balanced conference system

Given that "derby" teams will be in opposite conferences, perhaps play an extra game between these teams (and vic teams in opposite conferences)?

This would imply an 8 week home and away and 3 week finals

All of those clubs that wanted a license should have had development sides/alignments this year - like Geelong and Hawthorn.

It's a waste of money as they probably won't get any concessions into recruiting these players. We're invested in our next gen academy zones and paired with the Bendigo Thunder. Our whole pitch centres around getting indigenous and multicultural engagement in the women's game.

It's a waste of money as they probably won't get any concessions into recruiting these players. We're invested in our next gen academy zones and paired with the Bendigo Thunder. Our whole pitch centres around getting indigenous and multicultural engagement in the women's game.

I just dont think it will be enough for the next round of expansion if they go two teams, or four teams.

- Geelong have a team, and a proper home facility and defined district to represent
- Norths proposal will involve Tasmania, and will give them a leg up
- the Saints are somewhat aligned with teams in the south east, and a nice little redevelopment underway at Moorabin.
- Hawthorn have a team in the VFL.

And thats without looking at West Coast and Gold Coast given the decent state of womens footy in those states.

A strong, young, engaged fanbase helps too. Collingwood's bid wasn't particularly noteworthyr and they got the nod (probably due to fanbase). I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the AFL could repeat that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A strong, young, engaged fanbase helps too. Collingwood's bid wasn't particularly noteworthyr and they got the nod (probably due to fanbase). I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest the AFL could repeat that.

theres not quite the same drive that there was at season launch. the AFL needed a big rivalry in year 1 to launch and promote. It got that in spades. While Richmond could add another well supported side, its nowhere near as paramount as it would have been for year 1, by year 3 it will be even less of a requirement.

theres not quite the same drive that there was at season launch. the AFL needed a big rivalry in year 1 to launch and promote. It got that in spades. While Richmond could add another well supported side, its nowhere near as paramount as it would have been for year 1, by year 3 it will be even less of a requirement.
Plus Essendon want a side now too so that doesn't help Richmond on the "big rival" stakes.

It'll be interesting to hear about their bid.

Yes, they have the VWFL side but seeing what they propose for training facilities would be interesting. Have everything out at Waverly until Dingley is built? Games at Glenferrie (is the remaining grandstand even usable?) or will they ask for Princes Park to be their home ground again?

At least in a 5+ year plan they would be viable, new facilities, good enough financials to support the team down the line (when the afl stops paying wages in however many years) plus a large existing fanbase.

Yes, they have the VWFL side but seeing what they propose for training facilities would be interesting. Have everything out at Waverly until Dingley is built? Games at Glenferrie (is the remaining grandstand even usable?) or will they ask for Princes Park to be their home ground again?

At least in a 5+ year plan they would be viable, new facilities, good enough financials to support the team down the line (when the afl stops paying wages in however many years) plus a large existing fanbase.
Instead of Glenferrie what about Box Hill

Won't be Glenferrie. Box Hill is a great ground for 5k otherwise Waverley an option if it is free (can't be fenced off). BOx Hill women's train at Waverley and BH.

Plus Essendon want a side now too so that doesn't help Richmond on the "big rival" stakes.
Hawthorn have announced that are officially applying for 2019

Ill be mighty disappointed if either of these teams get a side before those who actually applied.

Id say they might play at Waverly with larger games moved to Princes Park - especially if it gets an upgrade.

I doubt they will be able to play at Waverley. There is very limited seating and there are houses built almost on top of the ground. Plus there is no where to park and transport would be a nightmare. They could only play at Waverley if they were expecting absolutely no one to turn up. Although in saying that Collingwood had games at Olympic park oval, but they need to fix that.
That is one of the major problems with Hawthorn getting a team, they don't really have a ground to play at. I think Richmond would be a much better choice as punt Rd would be fantastic.
I am really interested to see who gets teams. I hope they take into account the work with their female supporters and community programs towards women. I know Carlton and Collingwood were really good towards that.
I personally don't care if Hawthorn don't get a team. I've already aligned myself with Carlton and Adelaide. I will have a watch and hope they do well but I'm sticking with Carlton and Adelaide now, unless Hawthorn somehow steal my favourite Carlton players or Sarah Perkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back