• Finals

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • No Finals

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • Bottom 4

Votes: 19 11.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I forgot to mention, while CFC got thrashed by Geelong in the semi, as a VIC club playing away from home all year, making the semi was a huge achievement. WC, Port, Brisbane and all the other none VIC clubs didn't capitalize on the huge advantage covid presented them. I was a little shocked two VIC teams played off in the Granny.

I forgot to mention, while CFC got thrashed by Geelong in the semi, as a VIC club playing away from home all year, making the semi was a huge achievement. WC, Port, Brisbane and all the other none VIC clubs didn't capitalize on the huge advantage covid presented them. I was a little shocked two VIC teams played off in the Granny.
Considering how many obstacles we had on and off field this year to get to the semi was a pretty good effort. Had we stayed at home for more of the year we probably would’ve got further than we did, which is good considering how poorly we played at times this year. Next year will be interesting but I can see us pushing up again.

From a selfish, personal view, my hope for 2021 is finals and a GF appearance, with us then winning the premiership!!
As next year will be my last year of living in Melbourne for quite sometime, before relocating to Queensland. l am really hoping l get to see us play live in a grand final on the G, for one last time....

Last edited:
Hopefully we get a better year from Treloar. Injury free and the coaches decide to use him better as an outside receiver more then a Tom Mitchell clone.

Hopefully Stephenson has a better year as well. Improved ball movement from the midfield and back half should see him get better service and hopefully he develops more nouse up the field and can have a bigger impact during his stunts on the wing.

I hope Atu grabs the small forward spot with both hands next year considering Josh Thomas is past his use by date and Jamie Elliott is more of a lead up forward. I liked the ground level presence he showed in his first game.

If all goes well I except us to be flag contenders

Something like 23 players who’ve played under 23 games.

Some of them in Madgen, Noble, Cameron, Sier, Murphy and Quaynor are mature age and/or a few years already in the system

But gee there are a lot of kids there who are going to have to immediately step up once the best 22 get injured/suspended

The best 15 on our list are going to have to have a good form, injury free 2021

Hopefully some of our fans learn to build bridges and get over stuff, but I'm not holding my breath

Wouldn't concern yourself with other fans, your concentration should be a positive year on and off the field from the team. Holding your breath will only cause asphyxiation, so yeah best not to.

Something like 23 players who’ve played under 23 games.

Some of them in Madgen, Noble, Cameron, Sier, Murphy and Quaynor are mature age and/or a few years already in the system

But gee there are a lot of kids there who are going to have to immediately step up once the best 22 get injured/suspended

The best 15 on our list are going to have to have a good form, injury free 2021

Not sure why you nominated 23 games as the benchmark, but we also have C Brown (49), Daicos (35) T Brown (9) Ruscoe (4) Kelly (1) and Keane (1) .... all young 2nd-4th years players with upside.

We shouldnt have to go to the well and ask for too much from our first year players.

Not sure why you nominated 23 games as the benchmark, but we also have C Brown (49), Daicos (35) T Brown (9) Ruscoe (4) Kelly (1) and Keane (1) .... all young 2nd-4th years players with upside.

We shouldnt have to go to the well and ask for too much from our first year players.

Of that group... only Daicos has so far proven himself to be A Grade. C Brown has stalled and may have already reached his ceiling. The rest are unknowns... players taken pick 30 onwards

Indeed of the 23 players having played 23 games or less... only Quaynor, W Kelly, McInnes, Henry and Macrae were taken top 30 in the draft

That leaves about 18 players who were taken pick 30 onwards or were rookies.... a point in recruiting where historically its harder to find long term best 22 players

Taking the rose tinted glasses off... if we looked at another list and saw so many players on it taken mid to late... we would have no faith that that team would make an impact in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of that group... only Daicos has so far proven himself to be A Grade. C Brown has stalled and may have already reached his ceiling. The rest are unknowns... players taken pick 30 onwards

Indeed of the 23 players having played 23 games or less... only Quaynor, W Kelly, McInnes, Henry and Macrae were taken top 30 in the draft

That leaves about 18 players who were taken pick 30 onwards or were rookies.... a point in recruiting where historically its harder to find long term best 22 players

Taking the rose tinted glasses off... if we looked at another list and saw so many players on it taken mid to late... we would have no faith that that team would make an impact in 2021.

I'll back them in to have more impact than Scharenberg Dunn Broomhead Varcoe Reid Wills Appleby Beams and Langdon had last year. As for Treloar Stephenson and Phillips.... the return to full form fitness and availability of Grundy (form) Howe (fitness) DeGoey (fitness) and Sidebottom (availability) will help cover their losses. I'd happily add Sier to that list although that admittedly is using the rose coloured glasses to which you refer.

We definitely have gone hard at the first year players and hopefully most will get a full VFL season to develop. If we dont get too many injuries then these kids wont get thrown to the wolves too early. As you freely admit though, we finally have some top 30 picks and a good number of them... if we get a huge debut season out of one of them (or Rantall or Bianco from lastyear) it would be a bonus (but not out of the question).

We have definitely lost some depth but last years depth was basically useless anyway apart from Wills. You seem to be happy to write off the 3rd and 4th year players... no doubt you also had Daicos written off this time last year too.

Last edited:
I'll back them in to have more impact than Scharenberg Dunn Broomhead Varcoe Reid Wills Appleby Beams and Langdon had last year. As for Treloar Stephenson and Phillips.... the return to full form fitness and availability of Grundy (form) Howe (fitness) DeGoey (fitness) and Sidebottom (availability) will help cover their losses.

We definitely have gone hard at the first year players and hopefully most will get a full VFL season to develop. If we dont get too many injuries then these kids wont get thrown to the wolves too early. As you freely admit though, we finally have some top 30 picks and a good number of them... if we get a huge debut season out of one of them it would be a bonus.

We have definitely lost some depth but last years depth was basically useless anyway apart from Wills. You seem to be happy to write off the 3rd and 4th year players... no doubt you also had Daicos written off this time last year too.

12 months ago I did have Daicos written off as a player with a limited future - not alone there. Many writing off C Brown, Murphy, Sier... hopefully they work out and become long term best 22... doubtful as this point though

And it’s fair to say we will have less injuries now Reid, Langdon, Dunn, etc are gone.

I’ll check back in on your comments come rd 5 next year and we have won only 1-2 games. Pressure will be on then.

I’ll check back in on your comments come rd 5 next year and we have won only 1-2 games. Pressure will be on then.

I really dont care what you do. Thanks for letting me know its only a 5 round season though. I thought it had gone back to 22 games per season.

Last edited:
I really dont care what you do. Thanks for letting me know its only a 5 round season though. I thought it had gone back to 22 games per season.

I’m not trying to insult you. I just think a lot of people on here will be surprised with our start to the season. Rounds 6-10 or so look kindest... otherwise a hard draw imo

I’m not trying to insult you. I just think a lot of people on here will be surprised with our start to the season. Rounds 6-10 or so look kindest... otherwise a hard draw imo

We play three finalists twice but neither of them grand finalists. We play two non finalists twice. It’s a reasonably tough draw... but it’s what youd expect a top six team to get.

We have three tough games in the first five including two on the road against strong opponents, so you might be right that a slow start is on the cards. But that just means we have got some tough games and travel out of the way early.

All 22 games are worth four premiership points. The ladder after five rounds means nothing.

Last edited:
Considering how many obstacles we had on and off field this year to get to the semi was a pretty good effort. Had we stayed at home for more of the year we probably would’ve got further than we did, which is good considering how poorly we played at times this year. Next year will be interesting but I can see us pushing up again.

Agree, it honestly didnt even feel like we were a top 8 team with how we played at times.

Good result regardless

Is it rose colored glasses or just that we have greater awareness of our players thereby greater expectations?

I’m thinking 6-12. Obviously we lost some depth and quality, but we do welcome back Sidey and Howe to the side which is good. I think our season really hinges on natural progression and if we have a year like 2018 where we get some unexpected growth then we could be competitive. If we don’t get that, then teams will go past us and we’ll obviously drop.

I reckon Collingwood will make the top 4 next year, Everyone is expecting us to drop a few places down the ladder. However our list is looking more promising than this year alone, we've got rid of the injury-prone players and some players who have regressed or simply had off-field issues.

Mason Cox will kick 30-50 goals while the others will contribute and rejig the forward line for years to come. The Midfield will win more clearances and feed off Grundy, however, the defence may become leaky at times due to regressing talent such as Roughead, but will get more new blood such as Keane and Murphy.

We will win approximately 14-16 games with the possibility of getting a draw again.

Is it rose colored glasses or just that we have greater awareness of our players thereby greater expectations?

I’ve known one eyed Carlton supporters who were for several years convinced time and time again that they had a great batch of kids coming through.

I think our best 12-15 stacks up well enough, but if falls away quick after that... as 23 players with 23 games or less testifies to... only 5-6 of which are top 30 picks.

We are gonna need some luck with those mid to late draftees and rookies coming through

Back