Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Been reading a fair bit about wins, losses and ladder position for next year.

Read posts that have said "with a good run at it and with no injuries, we can possibly make finals".
Also read that we will be spooners again.

So what are the expectations?
Not really concerned about ladder position, just how many wins we should expect, hope for given the current state of our list.

For me, I'd be happy with 5 to 6 wins and a decent increase in percentage.

I've said I'd be happy with 5-6 wins too, just the youth developing, minimal injuries to be a regular bottom 4 side instead of a 'historically bad' one would make me happy. Since I live in Vic now, seeing us win at least one here (I couldn't attend the Bulldogs game) would be nice, been awhile.

7/8 wins for me our last month apart from the derby showed that the team was competitive ...reckon we can replicate that next year with a fit list

Also believe other teams are going to drop off

At the start of this season, I said "a lot of things will have to go right for us to get out of the bottom 4".

Narrator: a lot of things did not go right...

I think we're in a similar position for 2024. But our youth will be more durable than our senior players were this year, I hope, so let's say 15th. We can aim to finish ahead of North Melbourne and Essendon, at the very least. Maybe Hawthorn, maybe Richmond, maybe Gold Coast, maybe St Kilda.

A season not dissimilar to what Hawthorn produced this year would be a very welcome step in the right direction - 7 wins and 80%

They still had their share of beltings (8 losses over 50 points with a biggest loss of 82) and it would be naive to think we won’t have some of those next year. Don’t want those 100+ games though

A couple of solid 5-6+ goal wins along the way would be nice

Hard to see us making it out of the bottom 4 which is fine provided we’re competitive (less than 5 goals) in a majority of games

Copy + paste 2023 expectations...

Wins don't matter. Game style and keeping players on the park matters. We saw snippets of a more aggressive style through the first couple of rounds until the wheels fell off, and towards the back of the season when players started to return. The key now is having players playing at both levels to develop each week.

Gold Coast finished 15th this year with 9 wins so I still expect us to be bottom four but with a much better percentage.

Really depends on how the club addresses the major issue of our injuries and the midfield.

A decent injury run would do wonders as only averaging 6 players available for the year on average for the Beagles was a major impediment.

As for the midfield. We only had one decent player in Kelly this year, would be awesome if Yeo could get a good run at it but that now seems unlikely. Not sure what the club can do in the short term as it is the young players, past under performers in Gaff & Sheed and perhaps Duggan and Petro plus a possible trade in Robertson all requiring a sudden improvement to make the midfield half decent.

really need some help in the ruck as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Development of younger players should be the most important metric but 5-7 wins and a significant reduction in losing margin should be the hope.

Well considering all teams barr the SA teams are on the back foot cos of the AFL's "gather" round, 5-6 would be passable

I expected slight improvement this season and look what happened, so for next year I'm going full ep:
  • We win -5 games
  • Number 1 draft pick Dan Curtin suffers a rare exploded knee in his first training session, ending his career. We had already given him a three year contract extension.
  • Our percentage is zero after we fail to score at all in the first four rounds. Our forwards have so much time spare that they start modelling clothes during games.
  • Fremantle wins the premiership
  • Noah Long asks for a trade to Geelong (Gee, Noah's long)
  • Kane Cornes gets even more media gigs

Dependent on MC. If they pick the mid to older mediocre players then we may win more but the rebuild takes longer. If they have the courage to drop these players for younger players then we win fewer but have a faster rebuild.

Either way my main hope is our percentage increases significantly. That is, less beltings/smaller losses and a few more wins.

No 100 point losses.
1-2 wins against current top 8 team.
Stem the blow out qtrs, no 5-10 goal streaks to the oppo.
Beat Freo at least once!!!!!!!!!
SFA Injuries, particularly of long term ilk.

Realistically 7 wins 80%

Hopefully, dreaming, stick it up em, 12-13 wins at +100%

Back