Bumped Experience meeting/seeing Collingwood players + Coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to see the players out at Boutique & Eve quite a bit.

taz was a pisser. V shy. Saw him in the toilets while I was taking a p*ss and said "hey mate, you ever get on the Extreme site?" (Hotrods) He says - Extreme what? Thought I was talking motorbikes i reckon... so I say - extreme black n' white... website. He says... "mate, I wouldnt even know how to turn a computer on". I laugh, then say - hey mate come and have a chat. He says... mate, we're in the fk'n toilets! I laugh again and say - yeah good point.
Wasnt that tall, but was built like a tank.

Swanny was always there, after games... keeping to himself / mates / taz / Benny J. Shook his hand once and said good game, after we'd just been beaten, and he'd racked up 34 touches. Just looked at me, then looked away mumbling "thanks".

Didak was also there with daisy when he was just a rookie. Dids was v defensive, but had a laugh with him, while he was smoking. Daisy looked like a kid in a candy store. They left at 12.30 curfew and Dids did a camando style roll through some nearby bushes, obviously letting off some steam.

Scotty Cummings is a pisser and used to work with him in tv. V smart bloke, and loves taking the piss outta people.

Bucks also came through quite a bit. Friendly guy who loves pies supporters & being recognised. was always at funky restaurants and concerts round town. First time I saw him was at a Crown nightclub though. He was walking through the crowd solo in a tight white tee, sucking up the attention. Also saw him with Gillon and a few other AFL execs in Gill's early days, during Bucks' last playing days. Gill was a v polite guy, whilst Bucks didn't quite seem part of the boys club... always thinking and speaking differently. Little bit on the outer...

Tony Shaw was great for a chat, and v funny. Always had a chip about MM as a coach, but thats no surprise. V old school and not pc... but again, no surprises there. Told it how it is & was always v humble.

MM was v polite and def the father figure in person. Just loved playing the mentoring role around young men. Reckon its because he has no sons of his own... ala Stan Alves - top bloke btw.

Rocca was always v friendly, no surprises there. Loves the club. Tarks the same, as was Licca.. ripping bloke who would speak to anyone.

Eddie was a funny one. have seen him in good moods where he'd smile, say g'day and virtually hug you if you were a pies supporter. have also seen him when under the pump, telling industry people to f**k off, and almost coming to blows with them. Fans always hassling him and wanting to say hi, but he loves playing the ambassador role.

Jamie Elliott was v good with the fans, stopping to chat to regulars. pendles kept to himself a bit more and was a bit on the outer in a social setting, a bit like Bucks funnily enough.

As a kid knocking on doors for jobs to earn a buck. I was surprised when Tony and Ray Shaw appeared at the door and said I could rake the leaves on the nature strip. I remember it was such a windy day that after an hour of raking there were more leaves than when I began. Got the feeling they were taking the piss from me. Think i just gave up and legged it.

I once asked James 'Charlie' Manson to meet me so I could interview him for a school project. He was very accommodating, gave me 2-3 hrs- really nice guy.

More recently I shouted a Premiership player a pint at my local. He later repaid the gesture by sending a round of drinks over to my table and racking me up a line in the toilets. We ended up having a late night. Very good bloke.

Peter daicos tried to sell me a printer and a new phone system lol
Ha ha brought a hot colour tv off a pies player playing at the time mate teed it up nearly fainted when I opened the door and saw who was delivering it.(wasn't Daicos).

As a kid knocking on doors for jobs to earn a buck. I was surprised when Tony and Ray Shaw appeared at the door and said I could rake the leaves on the nature strip. I remember it was such a windy day that after an hour of raking there were more leaves than when I began. Got the feeling they were taking the piss from me. Think i just gave up and legged it.

I once asked James 'Charlie' Manson to meet me so I could interview him for a school project. He was very accommodating, gave me 2-3 hrs- really nice guy.

More recently I shouted a Premiership player a pint at my local. He later repaid the gesture by sending a round of drinks over to my table and racking me up a line in the toilets. We ended up having a late night. Very good bloke.
Not many would top having a drink with this bloke ,went to the anchor and hope after work one night bloke came up and starting chatting wouldn't let me buy a drink said I had to take a pee went straight to t

Not many would top having a drink with this bloke ,went to the anchor and hope after work one night bloke came up and starting chatting wouldn't let me buy a drink said I had to take a pee went straight to the phone rang my dad said dad I'm drinking with Dennis Lillee when he was at his top.

And I believe he married his childhood sweetheart and they happy together all these years later. Likes an occasional day at the races I believe too.
Ironic grew up few doors down from Leigh Carlson after not seeing him for a few years run into him at the races gave me t
Waited around to chat with Peter Daicos at a sportsmen's night and decided not to hold back. After a brief introduction and a bear hug, I looked up at him and said." I have actually cried at the footy when watching you, Daics" I thought he might laugh or make a joke along the lines of "Was I that bad?....but he sensed the genuine emotion in my voice and said:"What's your name?" after telling him he simply said, "Mark, that's a really lovely thing to say." he posed for photos with me and my grown up son. To cap off my night he walked past me 15 minutes later and he rubbed my head-I grabbed his hand and kissed it! He laughed and said-" No way..come on!" I think he got the feeling I liked him!

I' glad I put it out there. watching Daics was a transcendent experience on many occasions. I go to my grave knowing I told the legend as much to his face.

I walked past big Bob Heard up at Daylesford earlier this year. I asked him the time before it dawned on me who it was. He was with his wife and after they walked away I was kicking myself for not saying something. After all, Bob played in an iconic era , including the infamous 1970 GF. I was waiting for my wife and leaning on my car when I saw Bob and his wife coming back toward me. I took a deep breath, walked over to him and said, "Bob Heard, may i shake your hand?" The next ten minutes were bliss. He and his wife were lovely and both were happy to reminisce about the good old days. Bob's wife was still furious with Bobby Rose for not bringing Bob off the bench until late in the final quarter. I talked about the prelim in 73 against Richmond when Bob took some great contested marks and banged through a couple of goals inside a minute. He was loving it. When I told him he was a very underrated tap ruckman, Bob concurred and proceeded to show me how he use to flick the pill out the back and to the side. After a couple of very wristy demonstrations he laughed and said he better be careful going all limp wristed like that in Daylesford! His wife told me that when he went to Richmond, Barry Rowlings said he was the best tap ruckman he played with. That was a great day!

When I was posted to my first teaching position at a school in Rosanna, I'll never forget the first time I walked into the staffroom. Leigh Carlson was sitting at the table eating his lunch! I had just seen him perform admirably the year before in the 1979 GF and now he was a fellow teacher! It took me a few weeks to summon up the courage to chat with him. I was like a tongue tied boy trying to hook up with a girl!

One day we were the only two in the staffroom and we began to chat. We hit it off and found we had alot in common. This friendship gave me an insight to the club I had only ever dreamed about. Leigh would tell me about Hafey's prematch speeches and Phil Carman's strange behaviour. Leigh actually loved him as a bloke. He laughed about Rene Kink's cockiness and used to express great frustration about Kevin Morris's disposal and alack of footy smarts. Leigh played in the 1980 GF against Richmond that first year I was with him and I was one of the first people to be told Collingwood had traded him with Warwick Irwin mid way through the season the following year. Leigh was shattered at the time. Fate ordained that Fitzroy played Collingwood in one of the greatest finals in history. Leigh played well, but in that titanic last quarter I told Leigh I discovered my love for Collingwood was more powerful than my good wishes for Leigh. He nearly drilled a 60 metre torp with a minute or so remaining on the clock. We hung on to win by a point.

Leigh told me some bloodcurdling stories about life under Robert Walls but they won't be shared in this forum!

To this day Leigh remains one of my closest friends. He is a beautiful man.
leigh went to Preston east tech his sister robin put a message up on their website trying to find their brother Ross ask Leigh if he can help.

Once got a lift to the footy from Anthony Rocca to Vic Park. That day he kicked a barrel from about 70 metres out.

Last edited:
Ran into Scott Burns a couple of times - good bloke - up for a brief chat.

Ran into Murray Weidemann outside the MCG round 3 - 2011. We were playing Carlton - 2010 flag was being unfurled. I went up to Murray and said "you'd be Murray Weideman" - "Yes" he said. I proceeded to tell him how my mother (who worshipped Murray) met his mother at a practice match at Vic Park decades ago - there's a whole sub plot as well...

Anyway at the end Murray said "thanks for that story about my dear old mother".

Enforcer on the field - gentleman off it.

PS - I regret I didn't tell Murray that my father took me to see him wrestling at Festival Hall - 1960??

Last edited:
I think I have told this story before but many years ago i was working at a government body, got a call from a John Burke, I immediately asked "are you the John Burke who went burko at the Lakeside Oval in a reserves game", Many thoughts came out of my head after I blurted that out, one being gees why did i ask that John Burke is a popular name, and also what if it was that John Burke and he didnt want to be reminded of it. Instead i got the answer in a high squeaky voice. "yeah mate that was me" followed by insane laughter. We had a long chat about it and he was really nice and said he was going to be on the Footy show telling that story, which he was a few weeks later.

In my current role Chris Tarrant rings a lot, The first time he rang I just blurted out "Chris Tarrant, you are my hero" (this was just after he retired). I got silence back and then he said "is Ray there" . I supposed being fawned over by an old fart isn't the most flattering thing for him! He is a nice guy though.

I was told to f*** off by Daics about 16 years ago back when I was 18. He was having a quiet beer with Mark Harvey at a bar in Ascot Vale, I'd had a few drinks too many and walked over exclaiming "it's the Macedonian Marvel!". His response was fair enough really.
When the great one tells you to * off you * off!

Scott Wynd told me to * off at The Tunnel one night, ******* w***er.

I think I have told this story before but many years ago i was working at a government body, got a call from a John Burke, I immediately asked "are you the John Burke who went burko at the Lakeside Oval in a reserves game", Many thoughts came out of my head after I blurted that out, one being gees why did i ask that John Burke is a popular name, and also what if it was that John Burke and he didnt want to be reminded of it. Instead i got the answer in a high squeaky voice. "yeah mate that was me" followed by insane laughter. We had a long chat about it and he was really nice and said he was going to be on the Footy show telling that story, which he was a few weeks later.

In my current role Chris Tarrant rings a lot, The first time he rang I just blurted out "Chris Tarrant, you are my hero" (this was just after he retired). I got silence back and then he said "is Ray there" . I supposed being fawned over by an old fart isn't the most flattering thing for him! He is a nice guy though.
I used to sleep over at the Bourkes, i was good mates with Johns little brother Micheal, lived in the bronx at West Heidelberg.

Me and a mate played pool against Buckley and Paul Williams at The Tunnel one night, nice fellas, we pretended we didn't know who the were, we won the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was about 1979, walking around the corner of the wales bank in elsternwick and bumped into Leigh Matthews, just looked at me and scowled "watch where you're walking son" or something like that.

Was about 1979, walking around the corner of the wales bank in elsternwick and bumped into Leigh Matthews, just looked at me and scowled "watch where you're walking son" or something like that.

That been Scary

Dad took me into the Elizabeth St Merrett & Hassett store in 1980. Bought me my first footy, a black & white quartered Steeden VFL footy with a Magpie on it. Was feather light, great for torps with the wind behind.
Thorold Merrett chatted to us for what seemed an age while Mum & my sister were waiting patiently, parked outside in the Statesman.
Dad said to me after, Thorold would have been one of the greatest Magpie players if he didn't get injured and retire so early.
I remember Thorold telling me how good he thought Michael Roach was going to be. A picture of Roach marking was on the plastic bag that he put the footy in.
Signed my jumper and I left a happy lad.

Last edited:
Ran into Steele Sidebottom last week, Thursday b4 the Grand Final at the MCG Football Festival.
I just said Steele and he came up to me and shook hands and had a brief chat.
Got a photo of him with my daughter. Didn't want to keep him too long. Awesome bloke.
Me and family used to run into Travis Close too often. Like we were stalkers.
He even talked to my wife for about 20 minutes during a concert break.
He cops a lot of bullshit which he doesn't deserve. He's usually reserved but once he opens up he is a top bloke.
Met few others and players from other clubs and they have all generally been great.
If you present yourself as decent to them, they will do the same back.

Heard Daicos talk at a grand final eve lunch at my old footy club a couple of weeks ago, I knew he was talking, so I brought along an original WEG cartoon Ive had for about 20 years to finally get signed. He signed it and loved the piece. Id love to know what it would be worth, not that I'll ever sell it.

Spent a fair bit of time talking with him and a mate of dads who grew up around the corner from Daic's as a kid, so they were pretty much just comparing notes. I was a little nervous in saying hello initially, but in reality, hes just a normal bloke. Did go on record to say Josh would be better than him as an all round player. I found that difficult to believe...

As a kid I remember hanging in the social club at vic park after the game with dad and Millane was the main one I rember, but Tony Francis and Scott Russell were the two others I remember well having a chat to while they smashed a few after-game beers. As a kid, it was pretty overwhelming.

Used to see the players out at Boutique & Eve quite a bit.

taz was a pisser. V shy. Saw him in the toilets while I was taking a p*ss and said "hey mate, you ever get on the Extreme site?" (Hotrods) He says - Extreme what? Thought I was talking motorbikes i reckon... so I say - extreme black n' white... website. He says... "mate, I wouldnt even know how to turn a computer on". I laugh, then say - hey mate come and have a chat. He says... mate, we're in the fk'n toilets! I laugh again and say - yeah good point.
Wasnt that tall, but was built like a tank

Swanny was always there, after games... keeping to himself / mates / taz / Benny J. Shook his hand once and said good game, after we'd just been beaten, and he'd racked up 34 touches. Just looked at me, then looked away mumbling "thanks".

Didak was also there with daisy when he was just a rookie. Dids was v defensive, but had a laugh with him, while he was smoking. Daisy looked like a kid in a candy store. They left at 12.30 curfew and Dids did a camando style roll through some nearby bushes, obviously letting off some steam.

Scotty Cummings is a pisser and used to work with him in tv. V smart bloke, and loves taking the piss outta people.

Bucks also came through quite a bit. Friendly guy who loves pies supporters & being recognised. was always at funky restaurants and concerts round town. First time I saw him was at a Crown nightclub though. He was walking through the crowd solo in a tight white tee, sucking up the attention. Also saw him with Gillon and a few other AFL execs in Gill's early days, during Bucks' last playing days. Gill was a v polite guy, whilst Bucks didn't quite seem part of the boys club... always thinking and speaking differently. Little bit on the outer...

Tony Shaw was great for a chat, and v funny. Always had a chip about MM as a coach, but thats no surprise. V old school and not pc... but again, no surprises there. Told it how it is & was always v humble.

MM was v polite and def the father figure in person. Just loved playing the mentoring role around young men. Reckon its because he has no sons of his own... ala Stan Alves - top bloke btw.

Rocca was always v friendly, no surprises there. Loves the club. Tarks the same, as was Licca.. ripping bloke who would speak to anyone.

Eddie was a funny one. have seen him in good moods where he'd smile, say g'day and virtually hug you if you were a pies supporter. have also seen him when under the pump, telling industry people to f**k off, and almost coming to blows with them. Fans always hassling him and wanting to say hi, but he loves playing the ambassador role.

Jamie Elliott was v good with the fans, stopping to chat to regulars. pendles kept to himself a bit more and was a bit on the outer in a social setting, a bit like Bucks funnily enough.

Not a story I would voluntarily tell anyone. Cringeworthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back