Science/Environment Explaining evolution and natural selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be that we are not as rational as we like to think we are? But with our big brains, we rationalise our instinctive behaviour as directed by our genes?
Man as the rationalising animal rather than the rational animal?

Definitely - dig out the studies on people’s rationalisation of completely random decisions.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Man as the rationalising animal rather than the rational animal?

Definitely - dig out the studies on people’s rationalisation of completely random decisions.

Also the more intelligent someone is doesn't necessarily mean they are more rational. Their rationalisations will be more sophisticated.

As I said, human irrationality might be an evolutionary adaption. We are vessels for our genes. Genes that promote unconscious decisions (and the rationalising of) for survival and reproduction would become prevalent.

But here's something to contemplate over your cornflakes - or whisky in ferball's case :p. Humans are not just comprised of human cells with human DNA. Our bodies are a symbiosis of human cells and thousands of types of bacteria, many of which are essential for our health. The usual focus on our immune system is about keeping bugs out but it is just as important that it allows the right micro-organisms to prosper. This is a completely unconscious process. But if we start eating a high fibre diet to keep our guts regular are we altering our behaviour at the behest of bacterial genes?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Also the more intelligent someone is doesn't necessarily mean they are more rational. Their rationalisations will be more sophisticated.

As I said, human irrationality might be an evolutionary adaption. We are vessels for our genes. Genes that promote unconscious decisions (and the rationalising of) for survival and reproduction would become prevalent.

But here's something to contemplate over your cornflakes - or whisky in ferball's case :p. Humans are not just comprised of human cells with human DNA. Our bodies are a symbiosis of human cells and thousands of types of bacteria, many of which are essential for our health. The usual focus on our immune system is about keeping bugs out but it is just as important that it allows the right micro-organisms to prosper. This is a completely unconscious process. But if we start eating a high fibre diet to keep our guts regular are we altering our behaviour at the behest of bacterial genes?

Indeed.

There have been papers produced pointing out that up to 60% of our DNA originated from viral insertions.

We're just glorified bugs.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That there, ladies and gentlemen, is the Idiocracy.
Go with the flow.

Do you excel at anything other than antagonism?

I'm struggling to see why I should waste any more seconds of my life analysing your input.

You have many similarities with another Freo supporting waste of time & effort named Clem.

I think that will do for you Mr Donkey. I have seen enough.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Indeed.

There have been papers produced pointing out that up to 60% of our DNA originated from viral insertions.

We're just glorified bugs.

I read that our cells that contain mitochondria derived from an energy producing bacteria that was absorbed by a larger bacteria that was absorbed by a membrane bound single cell. Same as chloroplasts in plants.

That wasn't quite my point though. If we are living symbiotically with hundreds of different types of bacteria in our bodies do they influence our behaviour to their advantage? Kind of a less extreme version of when carpenter ants are taken over by a type of fungus that makes them climb to the top of a blade of grass, lock their mandibles on, then grow a mushroom out of the top of their head to release its spores. It becomes a fungus in ant's clothing.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I read that our cells that contain mitochondria derived from an energy producing bacteria that was absorbed by a larger bacteria that was absorbed by a membrane bound single cell. Same as chloroplasts in plants.

That wasn't quite my point though. If we are living symbiotically with hundreds of different types of bacteria in our bodies do they influence our behaviour to their advantage? Kind of a less extreme version of when carpenter ants are taken over by a type of fungus that makes them climb to the top of a blade of grass, lock their mandibles on, then grow a mushroom out of the top of their head to release its spores. It becomes a fungus in ant's clothing.

There's no "if" about it mate.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
There's no "if" about it mate.

For quite some time it seemed that the study of evolution was about finding branches in the tree of life where diversification developed to enhance survival of a single species. There now seems to be more focus on how the symbiosis between different organisms ie the joins of the tree - can mutually benefit them, or one can exploit the other - with implications for the evolution of both species.

Plants can't thrive without fungus, cows can't digest plants without bacteria, humans domesticated cows and developed an ability to digest dairy milk. Plants, bacteria, fungus, cows and humans have evolved in relatively recent years through the complex relationships.

Toxo, rabies, colds and flu (allegedly).

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
For quite some time it seemed that the study of evolution was about finding branches in the tree of life where diversification developed to enhance survival of a single species. There now seems to be more focus on how the symbiosis between different organisms ie the joins of the tree - can mutually benefit them, or one can exploit the other - with implications for the evolution of both species.

Plants can't thrive without fungus, cows can't digest plants without bacteria, humans domesticated cows and developed an ability to digest dairy milk. Plants, bacteria, fungus, cows and humans have evolved in relatively recent years through the complex relationships.

I read somewhere that in a long term human partnership, the female body gets more used to the sperm it is receiving from the male. (As it receives more and more) It can explain why some couples take a long time to produce kids, but some just get pregnant almost as soon as they start

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I read somewhere that in a long term human partnership, the female body gets more used to the sperm it is receiving from the male. (As it receives more and more) It can explain why some couples take a long time to produce kids, but some just get pregnant almost as soon as they start

I haven't read that one before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Something to do with a small foetus needing to be protected from the host mothers antibody action. It’s why some mothers require anti-d injections, from a donor with a rare bloodtype

Hasn't the semen finished its task by the "small foetus" stage???

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham

This article talks about female biology being 'choosy' about what sperm it accepts but I'm not sure if it's the same thing you are talking about.

Baker & Bellis did some work in this area.
  • women who cheat on their partners are more likely to do so around ovulation
  • the female orgasm allows preferential selection of sperm from different partners (orgasm increases the chances of conception)
It's mostly accepted that it's in a female's interests to mate with the 'fittest' male she can - and have a long term partner who will provide for her offspring, who may or may not be the natural father of her children.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
That thing is is tiny!

View attachment 1053322

For a guy whose penis is 20 percent the size of his body, he doesnt look overly happy either.
Lol
They should call it the John Holmes Chameleon.
It’s fingernail small, considering 99% of all life that’s existed on earth is extinct, there must have been some breathtaking weirdness we’ll never know about.
They remind me of those Pygmy Marmosets within what’s possible in size, they don’t seem real when you see them in the flesh.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Evolution destroys all ideas of god as they are written in their “special holy texts” in forms of religion.
Every single one.
It’s really that simple.
Not necessarily.
Evolution is simply a process that humans have observed in all creatures.
You could argue that this process was created by a God when they created the creatures.
When they said go forth and multiply, they meant go forth, multiply and evolve.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Not necessarily.
Evolution is simply a process that humans have observed in all creatures.
You could argue that this process was created by a God when they created the creatures.
When they said go forth and multiply, they meant go forth, multiply and evolve.
You could argue that as advocatus diaboli I spose, but it’s really just a god of the ever declining gaps argument though isn’t it, many churches including the RCC use this very argument for their ever shrinking gap.
You’ve quoted Genesis and the gymnastics of apologetics has to be applied where the obvious contradictions of creation are concerned.
It’s fairly tiresome reading them to be honest, I guess the Greeks, Romans and English weren’t fully across ancient Hebrew something something something!👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back