Resource External competitions on BF – a history of being burnt

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
I was just thinking today of some of the great 'outside' competitions that have been run on this board in the past but also that there have been twice as many where people have been burned (Rockingham Flames, anyone?) On a lazy Sunday I decided to go back through the archives and see how many success stories and how many failures there's been. This can act as a reference point for if any outsiders come to request a design and then wonder why people are so apprehensive about participating.

I only put competitions that actually had entries and were of a decent size in this list; I also didn't include stuff from inside BF like designing for the SFA, etc. What this actually tells me is that we haven't had an outside comp for quite some time! Only three in two years after having been burnt so many times.

• AFL Asia All-Star design comp - Feb 2017 - successful - craegus got sent his design and the team played in it.

• Portarlington Cricket Club monogram competition - Aug 2016 - successful - TheCount won and his design was used on that season’s apparel (no word on prize).

• Young & Districts Baseball Association logo - Mar 2016 - unsuccessful - despite being well set-up, the organiser left and there is no trace of the association even existing on the internet.

• Haggis Cup 2016 Commemorative Guernsey - Oct 2015 - unsuccessful - the organiser took the designs to committee to be decided at an AGM but he never returned to follow up.

• Design a NSW Primary School’s football jumper - Apr 2015 - successful - Dylan8 ran the comp in cooperation with organiser ashsta77. Bacon Warrior was selected as the winner and photos of his made-up winning entry were posted in the thread.

• Rockingham Flames apparel design competition - Jan 2015 - unsuccessful - this competition had great interest given the prize included $250 cash, but after a number of high-quality entries, the competition organiser ‘did a runner’ and failed to update people on the progress of the comp, robbing entrants of their hard work and time. Most amusingly, the organiser continued to praise the arguably substandard in-house design work of junior club participants ahead of BF members’ work throughout. This competition since became the reference point of how ‘outside’ comps can often fail on BF.

• Indochina Bulldogs Logo & Design Comp - Oct 2014 - unsuccessful - demon_spud, organiser of the comp, continued to prompt the club committee who were undecided and did not want to take responsibility for the creation of the new jumper. There were never any more updates provided and the current status of the team itself is unknown.

• Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup logo redesign - Jun 2014 - semi successful - Andy Reid’s design was chosen as the winner by the club but they ended up going with a different, non-BF designed logo for 2015. The Bushrangers rep came good on his prize promises and reached out to the top two place-getters via PM.

• Fiji Tribe International Cup jumper - Apr 2014 - unsuccessful - A winner was chosen but not in time for the design to be produced for IC14. The competition organiser never returned to provide updates and ultimately the design was never used in any official fashion.

• Design the UWA Uni Games 2013 jumper - Jun 2013 - unsuccessful - although not through any fault of the designer, Henness, who ran the competition well, the Uni Games introduced a ruling that UWA would not be able to provide its own unique design.

• Bunyip FC guernsey redesign - Dec 2012 - unsuccessful - A few concepts were put to the club but no further updates were provided and as of 2017, Bunyip continue to use the same guernsey design.

• Redesign for DWWWW Football Netball Club - Nov 2012 - unsuccessful - There didn’t seem to be too much interest design-wise despite the offer of a cash prize, but regardless, the organiser didn’t provide any more info after a few more posts and the Allies continue to use the same guernsey design to this day.

• Identity for new team based in Greenwich, UK - Oct 2012 - unsuccessful - the organiser said he would be taking all designs to committee but never provided any further updates. The new team appeared to never get off the ground anyway.

• South Bunbury FC new logo - Oct 2012 - semi successful - nearly a year after the thread was first posted, the club decided to go with a combined version of Mowse’s and Workhorse’s concepts. The logo is still used to this day although it is unknown if any prizes were given out.

• Identity for external fantasy football team, The Pacific Islanders - Aug 2012 - unsuccessful - the lure of a (albeit small) prize got a few people designing, and although the organiser remained active throughout the competition, he never posted a winner and thus the competition faded away.

• All-Australian jumper for Tasmanian Police Force team - May 2012 - semi successful - the comp organiser selected a winner (Teen Wolf) and provided details for him to be contacted so a physical version of the jumper could be sent out. However no photos of this were ever seen and it remains to be seen if the guernsey was actually produced or worn.

• Falcons Touch Club kit redesign - Mar 2012 - unsuccessful - a cash prize was offered up and some users entered designs but the organiser never followed up.

• TWP design comps (multiple) - 2010 through 2012 - successful - TWP ran a number of comps on BF in their infancy and came through with the goods on all of them, making up one-off unique jumpers for comp winners and boosting their profile at the same time. They’re now one of the biggest local footy manufacturers in the country.

• Design Competition sponsored by Distinct Graphic Design Solutions - Mar 2010 - semi successful - a winner was chosen and the comp runner remained active throughout, but it remains to be seen whether the prizes were delivered to the place-getters.

• Sweden International Cup jumper - Nov 2009 - successful - Perhaps the most lasting legacy of an outside comp on this board. Smeagle’s logo design remains in use by the Swedish Elks to this day, while his initial guernsey concept was used in a slightly tweaked format for the 2011 International Cup.

• American club needs a new jumper (Nashville Roos) - Dec 2017 - successful - Freight Train won the competition and had a physical guernsey of his design sent to him.

• New training guernsey for Golden Grove FC - Dec 2019 - successful - DiamondGuy won the competition and had a physical guernsey of his design sent to him.

Young & Districts Baseball Association logo - Mar 2016 - unsuccessful - despite being well set-up, the organiser left and there is no trace of the association even existing on the internet.
Wow this is weird timing. No more than about 5 minutes ago was I going through some of my old conversations when I found this.
7xzaCdm.png

81LAlaO.jpg

I spent a lot of time on this for nothing lol.

Rockingham Flames apparel design competition - Jan 2015 - unsuccessful - this competition had great interest given the prize included $250 cash, but after a number of high-quality entries, the competition organiser ‘did a runner’ and failed to update people on the progress of the comp, robbing entrants of their hard work and time. Most amusingly, the organiser continued to praise the arguably substandard in-house design work of junior club participants ahead of BF members’ work throughout. This competition since became the reference point of how ‘outside’ comps can often fail on BF.
I've only heard mention of this from time to time and actually had no idea what it was all about. Very interesting read!

Fiji Tribe International Cup jumper - Apr 2014 - unsuccessful - A winner was chosen but not in time for the design to be produced for IC14. The competition organiser never returned to provide updates and ultimately the design was never used in any official fashion.
I was promised that my version would be ready for the next IC and would be given the BLK version they settled for.

Jun 24, 2011
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Fiji Tribe International Cup jumper - Apr 2014 - unsuccessful - A winner was chosen but not in time for the design to be produced for IC14. The competition organiser never returned to provide updates and ultimately the design was never used in any official fashion.
Competition owner: Last online today at 7pm.

Jun 24, 2011
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
All-Australian jumper for Tasmanian Police Force team - May 2012 - semi successful - the comp organiser selected a winner (Teen Wolf) and provided details for him to be contacted so a physical version of the jumper could be sent out. However no photos of this were ever seen and it remains to be seen if the guernsey was actually produced or worn.

Ok so I just delved through my emails. We had thorough correspondence for about a month, exchanging information and ironing out some details. Then on 19/7/2012, the comp organiser tells me:
The order was placed today. They reckon 6 weeks.

I will send you your medium when they arrive.

Cheers
Stockers

I replied with genial enthusiasm, and then on 27/8/2012 I got this very brief email (which I didn't reply to):
Jumpers are in this week

I never received a jumper, nor did I ever hear from the bloke again. I do wonder what happened, and if the jumpers looked any good (supposing they actually materialised). After a quick google search I found a few different All-Australian jumpers were definitely produced for some other years, so it's quite possible it all went to plan and mine just got lost in the mail.

However, I prefer to think the guy intentionally pulled a fast one because it makes for a better cautionary tale: When it comes to competitions on the FJGD board, even the police will try to rip you off!

demon_spud

Mar 8, 2011
Wolverhampton
demon_spud, organiser of the comp, continued to prompt the club committee who were undecided and did not want to take responsibility for the creation of the new jumper. There were never any more updates provided and the current status of the team itself is unknown.

Good idea to bring this around again. I went back through the contacts with this and able to update on the following:
The AFL stopped the 'bulldogs' from allowed to be used. (however a bulldogs team of Cambodia and Thailand will be combined for this years Asian Champs)
Found that AFL Asia used a design during the AFL Asia 2016 Champs from ADT50. Looking at a past post from ADT50 with a conversation with Dylan, I will do my utmost to get a prize for them, even if it is something out of my own pocket.
14711282_1485027651509515_3132772504361900926_o.jpg

ADT50

Oct 23, 2014
MILDURA
Good idea to bring this around again. I went back through the contacts with this and able to update on the following:
The AFL stopped the 'bulldogs' from allowed to be used. (however a bulldogs team of Cambodia and Thailand will be combined for this years Asian Champs)
Found that AFL Asia used a design during the AFL Asia 2016 Champs from ADT50. Looking at a past post from ADT50 with a conversation with Dylan, I will do my utmost to get a prize for them, even if it is something out of my own pocket.
14711282_1485027651509515_3132772504361900926_o.jpg
Nah I don't expect anything to come from you mate. All good. No need for another BF poster to carry the can! Looks good though hey?
Pricks! Haha

demon_spud

Mar 8, 2011
Wolverhampton
Nah I don't expect anything to come from you mate. All good. No need for another BF poster to carry the can! Looks good though hey?
Pricks! Haha
PM if you want some credit mentioned via name, and I will get AFL Asia to give you a mention. Asked about the tops, supposedly the security guards who were to look after them, somehow fell asleep and they all were taken away by ghosts....happens a lot in Vietnam. BTW this was the champs were Libba lost his game sens, his hair and his way.

LeeARM

May 11, 2008
I only put competitions that actually had entries and were of a decent size in this list; I also didn't include stuff from inside BF like designing for the SFA, etc. What this actually tells me is that we haven't had an outside comp for quite some time! Only three in two years after having been burnt so many times.

Going back a while but you can add Uni of WA 2011 Uni Games as a success story.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/we-need-your-help-uwa-uni-games-jumper.827212/

I never actually got to see this design worn until last year, and it took a lot of Google searching. Until then I had only seen a poorly lit, low quality photo of it.
317731_10150308622911243_2083784006_n.jpg UWA Jumper Idea 1.png

It would have been nice to receive the guernsey... although, I can't remember if I actually asked for it or not.
Before this comp, I designed a guernsey for Sydney University as part of an internal BF comp which someone from the club saw and decided to make it their clash guernsey.
The guy from Sydney University was nice enough to send me both the protoype and finished design.

These days, I don't bother with comps like this, unless it's run an AFL club.
It's disrespectful to the graphic design industry. If a club really wants a good design, they should find a designer they like and go through the proper process with them and make sure that they're paid for their work. Even if that designer is just the employee of their uniform manufacturer.
It's probably even worse when the AFL clubs do it, seeing as they have so much money. Admittedly, I make the exception because I want to see an AFL club wear my design.

Oct 13, 2015
Blackhawks, 76ers

Kummerspeck

Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
Before this comp, I designed a guernsey for Sydney University as part of an internal BF comp which someone from the club saw and decided to make it their clash guernsey.
Could not ask for a better clash guernsey. The NEAFL team even wear it in their player photos.

Redesign for DWWWW Football Netball Club - Nov 2012 - unsuccessful - There didn’t seem to be too much interest design-wise despite the offer of a cash prize, but regardless, the organiser didn’t provide any more info after a few more posts and the Allies continue to use the same guernsey design to this day.
You guys wouldn't be behind this design, would you?
2353241_1_O.jpg

They started wearing this in 2013 before going into recess for the 2014 season. When they returned in 2015, they continued to wear the jumper for 1-2 seasons before going back to the old design. They're back in recess this season.

I guess this goes in here?

Design Keon Park Stars Clash Guernsey - Jun 2018 - unsuccessful - the organiser took the designs to committee to be decided at an AGM but he never returned as he ''hung up the mouse''.
Did you really return from a 2 month hiatus just to have a crack at Grandsun.
Smh, this type of thing is why he left.

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
Did you really return from a 2 month hiatus just to have a crack at Grandsun.
Smh, this type of thing is why he left.

It isn't really a crack at him.

The point is that there was a competition, the person who was the link between the club and here left the board and as such we may never know how it turned out.

Therefore it would count as an unsuccessful external competition.