Analysis External Reviews - do they work and if so, should we have one?

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree with this. I think we're under performing on and off the field.
Yeah COVID and injuries will do that. Our biggest revenue generating game this year was in front of noone.

We brought in quality coaching staff.

Injuries continue to derail our playing list. These are CONTACT injuries, not soft tissue. Big difference.

Our drafting has been good.

What's your problem?

I would welcome a review into our injuries, perhaps we can bring in some medical experts and professors just to see if we can improve anything. Literally got nothing to lose and everything to gain from one.
They are contact injuries.

Yeah COVID and injuries will do that. Our biggest revenue generating game this year was in front of noone.

We brought in quality coaching staff.

Injuries continue to derail our playing list. These are CONTACT injuries, not soft tissue. Big difference.

Our drafting has been good.

What's your problem?

I don't have a problem, why are you personalising it?
Our underperformance predates covid and a few contact injuries, by years. And there's already an injury thread to discuss injuries.

The salary rort fines may have sunk Carlton for 10 years but what was the alternative? Give them a slap on the wrist and tell them to be good little cheats. They were the architects of their own fate so no sympathy is warranted imo.

Hear hear.

I don't have a problem, why are you personalising it?
Our underperformance predates covid and a few contact injuries, by years. And there's already an injury thread to discuss injuries.
I don't attribute anything past when JLo was hired, Weber was released and new assistant coaches were hired. What's the point? There's no relationship.

Didn't Adelaide recently have a mini external review conducted by Dunstall of all people? Everyone knows the camp set them back years, but who knows what else he may have observed and recommended.

I have nothing against external reviews. But they need to be done by suitably qualified operators - not just an ex-player or board member's buddy or worse - some big four accounting firm. Maybe someone like a Brian Cook, or an international expert in sporting organisations.

I certainly don't think we need a review... but at the same time I think a lot of the decisions off field have generally been quite conservative under Garlick. As a 'customer', I haven't really felt anything unique or significantly positive change since Lyon & Rosich left.

But given the coaching transition and lil'pandemic, I can understand why the club has generally tried to find calm waters over the last 18 months.

However, generally speaking, things need to change... the club's image, it's performance and fan engagement is stale. Aside from our injury list, everything feels really boring to me at the moment, I don't see our point of difference or what our edge is on and off the field.
So I suppose Kevin Parker no.1 ticket holder and the new partnerships popping up this year had nothing to do with Garlick?

Unless it can address our terrible, chronic bad luck, no we don’t need one, we’re on the right track from what I can see. Still paying for mistakes made by people that are no longer at the club.

I’d be up for a review of our load management but that’s about it.We’ve actually performed about as well as we could hope for considering the injuries. Recruiting is a bit of a sore point as well but we aren’t a destination club and we are more likely to have to pay overs to retain players which causes a flow in effect on other players’ pay and also our ability to attract talent through trade. I feel we’ve nailed recent drafts though.

Having said all of that - I have absolutely no doubt that it is no coincidence that Freo and WC have been decimated more by injury than other teams this year. If you consider the shorter pre-season, longer games and frequent travel it really has been a perfect storm for carnage. Throw in a new S&C program and it’s just been a bit too much for our boys’ bodies.

this, and it's a dumb idea.
It's a stupid idea if they don't work. Do we know that? I can think of many queries about the Carlton approach so share your scepticism, but we're going nowhere fast as a club just like them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back