Extinct or near extinct cars on Australian roads

Remove this Banner Ad

I sold my 1988 Holden Astra to my 80+ neighbour back in 2006. He still has it and drives it around 3 times a year when he visits family.

I have NEVER seen one on the roads again since I sold it to him.

25546668283_c97a2eb546_b.jpg

I can safely say I have painted all these cars.
Slaved over every one of those bastards. I was in the trade from 78 till 08. So the late 60's stuff was still getting around when I started.
Some of the cars is this thread really bring back memories.

I sold my 1988 Holden Astra to my 80+ neighbour back in 2006. He still has it and drives it around 3 times a year when he visits family.

I have NEVER seen one on the roads again since I sold it to him.

25546668283_c97a2eb546_b.jpg

It surprises me how many of those late 90s / early to mid 00 versions still exist on the roads. I've heard numerous times they aren't the best car to get along with but people buy em.

It surprises me how many of those late 90s / early to mid 00 versions still exist on the roads. I've heard numerous times they aren't the best car to get along with but people buy em.

Mine had heaps of issues. Old boy only drives every few months so doesn't seem to have to deal with too much.

They are crap buckets.

Seen a 'Holden Nova' in a car park the other day, it caught my eye because of its baby blue colour and the fact it was in in immaculate condition. Didn't know it was a thing. Looked early 80s.

I imagine it is owned by a Keeping Up Appearances style couple where Hyacinth makes sure the car is polished and waxed daily.

Sent from mTalk

Would have a bit more than that going on I reckon, but what people have to remember is that there was a lot of six cylinders that were 'bigger' engines than the 253. A 4.2 litre V8 in the 70s and probably a hundred thousand or more were made in is unheard of in motoring all over the world.

I honestly don't understand why in modern, more economically concerned times, the small V8s like Holden and Ford used to have didn't make a comeback with modern engineering. Instead, everything was 5.7L or more.
Always thought the 253 and the 308 were the same block, just that the 308 had a different crank shaft providing a longer stroke

Seen a 'Holden Nova' in a car park the other day, it caught my eye because of its baby blue colour and the fact it was in in immaculate condition. Didn't know it was a thing. Looked early 80s.

I imagine it is owned by a Keeping Up Appearances style couple where Hyacinth makes sure the car is polished and waxed daily.

Sent from mTalk
Late 80's early 90's, originally a Toyota Corolla, Holden and Toyota each rebadged a couple models for a couple years

I've had this car for almost 20 years:

Bought it for $3000, and it was my only car for a long time. Used to see heaps of them around and give plenty of 'Kombi waves', but now when I take it out for a spin, it is very unusual to see another one.

Best thing - it's not worth $3000 any more :)
Big resurgence along the beaches in Syd. Never went out of fashion, but they're back bigtime and getting good $.

Moke Californians also back in a big way. Nothing says northern beaches summer like a moke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always thought the 253 and the 308 were the same block, just that the 308 had a different crank shaft providing a longer stroke

Same block, not bore. 308 is bigger, no substitute for cubic inches.

I hear the 304 that latter went in to the Brock Commodores was just a bored out 253.

mattyb2607, do you reckon there's much worth in getting hold of a 'new' Monaro? Still see a few of them getting around and can pick one up for 30k.

i wouldn't say no to one, they are holding their value pretty well, especially V8 manual or HSV models

I think I just really want a muscle car coupe, lol. I car I can call my own, but also mine only, and the new ones are far more affordable than the old ones.

Nah the first series had a V6 version. Not sure if further ones did. I doubt they were very popular. Maybe even more collectible!

the V6 models are about $10k cheaper than the V8 versions, more of the V8 models are for sale than the V6

I've had this car for almost 20 years:

Bought it for $3000, and it was my only car for a long time. Used to see heaps of them around and give plenty of 'Kombi waves', but now when I take it out for a spin, it is very unusual to see another one.

Best thing - it's not worth $3000 any more :)
I had one 30 years ago when I drove around Europe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back