Strategy Extra mature list spots for bottom teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of teams who have had an extended bad win/loss record having priority access to mature age talent.

However I hate the idea of them getting a PP and being forced to trade it for a few reasons-

1) Very unlikely that any elite talent would want to go to a club struggling down the bottom of the ladder.
2) Clubs would screw them at the trade table because they have the knowledge that they have to trade it.
3) What happens it they can not find a trade that they deem suitable and/or fair, do they just have to take an offer that sees them getting shafted at the trade table?

Relating to 2), if you can only trade in poor talent because no one wants to come to a crappy team or if they’re interstate, you’re actually strengthening the side you are trading with more than yourself, which is self defeating if that side is in the 8. So it may perpetuate inequality.

I have heard the idea of clubs being given an exclusion to payout and delist players, and their salerys not included in the cap which frees them up take players from the state leagues.

Believe it will be a bonus for carlton if we got a PP. On the right track atm. Doesnt look it this year. Some say we dont deserve it. I think we dont really need it. Right direction. #trustinSOS

How many State players that have gone to bottom 4 teams have played good football for a sustained period?

Gowers has had a fantastic year.

I'd argue Kelly, Fritsch, Lambert etc benefit from playing in already competitive teams where their weaknesses can be hidden.
Put either of those players in Gold Coast, Carlton and I don't think they would be anywhere near as good.

How many State players that have gone to bottom 4 teams have played good football for a sustained period?

Gowers has had a fantastic year.

I'd argue Kelly, Fritsch, Lambert etc benefit from playing in already competitive teams where their weaknesses can be hidden.
Put either of those players in Gold Coast, Carlton and I don't think they would be anywhere near as good.
Holman has had a decent year for us and played every game, not on the level of those guys but he has been quite a good player to have on the field.

The idea has merit, although Bulldogs fans wouldn't be happy if we miss out on drafting Hayes who we've developed at Footscray and has had a ripping year.

How about this for an idea;

- A club may pre select a player from there own state affiliated club providing they have:
1) nominated for 3 consecutive national drafts (ensures they have been putting in the solid yards for an extended period of time)
2) not been on an AFL list previously within the 3 years (guys like Haiden Schloithe are open slather if within the 3 year period, Zac Clarke? NO!)
3) Have played for 2 consecutive seasons at that nominated club (ensures clubs do not simply poach the best young guys to play at there club)
4) if a player does not meet these criterium, he becomes open slather and available in the national draft.

- A club may pre select a player from the above criteria, however; with this it disables a clubs last senior listed draft pick and carries the player in question as an extra rookie on a one year deal.

- A player who has been pre selected automatically becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the debut year allowing the player in question to enter the open market and thus field offers for what they value there worth at (let's be honest here, Tim Kelly is going to take significant unders to stay with Geelong when he could earn $100,000+ back home).

- A club is unable to negotiate a deal with that player until post free agency period when all offers have been done and finalised. This puts clubs on notice for simply undermining players with lowballing offers during the year.

Just something for people to think about really. The idea has some merit though. Would give kids added reasons to try there hand at state level football.

One final word though; providing something like this happens, it will be the death of the VFL. It SHOULD go back to an AFL reserves sides with supplementary lists etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back