Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a case of changing the mentality. Until last year, it's been teach teach teach teach.

This year, I think it should be about getting the wins, and maybe get finals experience for some players. To delay that would cause problems down the line.

I think he probably needs some assistants that actually have a bit of modern thinking on the game to help him out. It's great having guys like Aaron Hammill and Danny Frawley back but one was building pools and one is a commentator. I would love to try to get one of the assistants out of a successful club to get some intel and different ideas.

I think he probably needs some assistants that actually have a bit of modern thinking on the game to help him out. It's great having guys like Aaron Hammill and Danny Frawley back but one was building pools and one is a commentator. I would love to try to get one of the assistants out of a successful club to get some intel and different ideas.

Absolutely, I am amazed that not many teams have copied Hawks on kicking loose balls from a contest rather than picking it up

I was going to say Lenny, but I wouldn't say the Giants have been successful yet, and their diamond encrusted playing list does give the coaches a significant advantage that we wouldn't have. Who are the assistant coaches at Syd, Haw, Geel, etc during their recent successful periods?

I was going to say Lenny, but I wouldn't say the Giants have been successful yet, and their diamond encrusted playing list does give the coaches a significant advantage that we wouldn't have. Who are the assistant coaches at Syd, Haw, Geel, etc during their recent successful periods?
That's why we've got mcglynn

It's interesting, on 360 the other night, they recognised Richo's stirling credentials as a development coach but also recognised he needs to migrate to a slightly different role now. Thoughts?
After that game on the weekend, YES!

Richo is obviously a great bloke, very steady and trust worthy coach but he is as exciting to listen to as our PM. IMO with his reserved public persona it was a mistake allowing him on the 360 coaches chat. Boring as 'cat shyte' as they say!

Richo is obviously a great bloke, very steady and trust worthy coach but he is as exciting to listen to as our PM. IMO with his reserved public persona it was a mistake allowing him on the 360 coaches chat. Boring as 'cat shyte' as they say!
Why? He talks straight, doesn't stand for any bull and is honest when he can be. A fine ambassador. Which of the other 17 coaches would you rather listen to?

By the way I rate Bucks and especially the Scott bros for their media work.

(This isn't the kind of analysis I had in mind when I created this thread)

Eye on coaching? Put them under a microscope
Starv, which of the other coaches in the system do you think could/should be part of our future? I'm thinking of Kingsley I suppose cos he's done the course and whatnot, is supposedly highly rated.

Also, do you have a sense of how much input he and his fellow assistants have tactically?

Players come and go, get delisted etc, but the coaching staff we have seems to be the same coaching staff for the last 5-6 years minus the guy who came from Sydney last year. Is it better for development to have the same coaches teaching you, or is it better for new blood to teach you something different that you already know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starv, which of the other coaches in the system do you think could/should be part of our future? I'm thinking of Kingsley I suppose cos he's done the course and whatnot, is supposedly highly rated.

Also, do you have a sense of how much input he and his fellow assistants have tactically?
Adam Kingsley has a massive say on proceedings. He practically runs training and richo stops it when he sees something he isn't pleased with. The others don't have as much authority but they voice their opinions

Agree we need a greater spread of experience on our coaching list. As for Richo, my fear is that he is an excellent development coach, but not a tactician.

My worry with Richardson is that he doesn't seem to react quickly if things go awry during a game.

He is a good planner. He is methodical. He seems to be implementing a style of football that should be sustained under pressure. But I'm not sure he responds quickly to changing circumstances. Maybe he has unshakable faith in his players, like Tom Hafey.

Nor has Richardson shown that he has the dare to be unpredictable to unbalance the opposition. Swing players around, cause mis-matches, switch the tempo, change the process of moving the air conveyance. Maybe it's been about developing the list until now and this may happen in the future. But a coach must have this in their armoury.

I hope he just had an off day last week and that maybe the tide of the game was irresistible. But I want Richardson to be prepared to change things if they aren't working.

Melbourne kicked 10 goals in a row and nothing seemed to change. Richardson is now in his fourth year as coach. We are entitled to start critiquing his coaching. This week is a big test.

My worry with Richardson is that he doesn't seem to react quickly if things go awry during a game.

My problem with this line of thought is nobody on here has indepth knowledge of what happened in the coaches box. Just because we don't see any obvious change doesn't mean there isn't any. Plus there was some clear change in the game plan last week - kickouts from defense started going long down the middle instead of down the line.

Plus, the coaches could be trying to instigating change and the players are failing to implement it. Additionally, it's entirely likely that the only thing that needed to change on Saturday is the players effort, apart from yelling at them to pull their head out there isn't much the coach can do in that case.

I'm also not convinced it's a bad that if Richo and the coaches don't make drastic changes at the first sign of trouble. What would it say about our overall confidence in the game plan if they changed it every 5 min? Good luck getting players on board if you do that.

Edit: Saturday. Not Monday.

Last edited:
My problem with this line of thought is nobody on here has indepth knowledge of what happened in the coaches box. Just because we don't see any obvious change doesn't mean there isn't any. Plus there was some clear change in the game plan last week - kickouts from defense started going long down the middle instead of down the line.

Plus, the coaches could be trying to instigating change and the players are failing to implement it. Additionally, it's entirely likely that the only thing that needed to change on Monday is the players effort, apart from yelling at them to pull their head out there isn't much the coach can do in that case.

I'm also not convinced it's a bad that if Richo and the coaches don't make drastic changes at the first sign of trouble. What would it say about our overall confidence in the game plan if they changed it every 5 min? Good luck getting players on board if you do that.
This is a very good point. I'm not convinced that Richo just sat there shitting himself like James Hird did against us. IIRC there were games last year where he switched it up and changed the game for the better.

He is a calm and steady coach which can be sometimes a bad thing when seconds count. But IIRC Watters switched it around so often that the players got confused and lost faith in their coach, you wouldn't want to get back to that.

Let's hope Richo has got a decent implementable strategy for when plan A isn't working that the players are on board with.

I thought that's the reason why we now demand Saints players have to be competitive in more than one position. Jake and Hugh (when fit) can play forward, ditto Gilbert and Joey (when fit), Bruce has been a backman, Billings, Gresham, Weller, Armo and Minchington (when fit), Steven, Steele and Lonie can all rotate between mid and forward, Webster, Newnes, Savage, Makenzie, Gilbert can all rotate between mid and defence, so the flexibility in the players is there, in a pinch.

Plus, the coaches could be trying to instigating change and the players are failing to implement it. Additionally, it's entirely likely that the only thing that needed to change on Monday is the players effort, apart from yelling at them to pull their head out there isn't much the coach can do in that case.

Thanks for the post.

That is all

Plus, the coaches could be trying to instigating change and the players are failing to implement it. Additionally, it's entirely likely that the only thing that needed to change on Saturday is the players effort, apart from yelling at them to pull their head out there isn't much the coach can do in that case.

Edit: Saturday. Not Monday.
Kicking down the middle is standard when you're behind isn't it. I'd say you're less likely to try something daring when you're ahead which was where we were when Goodwin rolled dice with the setup.

When they highlighted what Goodwin did at quarter time it made me think that we'd been 3 points ahead rather than 23 at quarter time it probably wouldn't have happened and we'd have been better off.

Without knowing enough about the gameplans of pre-2017 recent Hawthorn and Bulldogs, i wonder if the AFL strategic trend has shifted from the former to the latter and caught many teams including us.

The noise on the Hawks board is that Clarkson's tactics are old hat and unsuitable for competing against the leaders of the comp.

We've been working on becoming more competitive the last few years, but no-one seeing the Bulldogs coming last year and the changing ascendancy this year (albeit with this season still at an early unsettled stage) suggests that a few teams are having to rethink their overall gameplay model and team balance.

Have we been recruiting and building a team to a particular style of play? Is that style of play still viable competitively? If not, what happens next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back