Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
We still need another coach don't we? Wonder what is happening with this? Any gossip....besides the Harves and Lenny stuff?
So, no one seems to know if .....

A. We need another coach
B. Are getting another coach
or C. Even the name of said coach. Mitchell got rumoured. Harves got rumoured. Both not coming....staying put.

Wonder who?

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
If Batchelor is development we seem to be one line coach short don’t we?
Although Skrolobak is also full time now I seem to remember.
If Batchelor is development we seem to be one line coach short don’t we?
Although Skrolobak is also full time now I seem to remember.
Yes. I thought we had one more line coach to go.

Sep 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes. I thought we had one more line coach to go.
I actually think the coaches are all done. The announcement that was talked about here on BF was for Billy...and I think there’s only Gubby to join after he’s finished with North... I’m sure I read somewhere (might have been a Jon Ralph article) that we weren’t going to have a transition coach... Now all my info comes from reading BF...and the afl site...so...I’m definitely not an ITK...!

Sep 2, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
upload_2018-10-21_1-48-53.jpeg

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liked the sound of Ratten on SEN earlier. Looking after the forwards and ball movement. Is that last season's 'transition'?

Anyway, he isn't going to say much different, but he seems to like where our list is heading.

And he is old mates with Richo. I don't mind that. As long as he helps him out and our results and performances start to swing in a positive direction.

Liked the sound of Ratten on SEN earlier. Looking after the forwards and ball movement. Is that last season's 'transition'?

Anyway, he isn't going to say much different, but he seems to like where our list is heading.

And he is old mates with Richo. I don't mind that. As long as he helps him out and our results and performances start to swing in a positive direction.
1498b5z.jpg

Apr 5, 2016
Everywhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Paddy will kick 40+ next year. Mark it.

Thats a lot of behinds? Or was it 6 goals 4 points?

But seriously what a breath of fresh air it was to have someone who can string a normal sentence together representing the coaches from the club. All hale Brett!

Last edited:

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gubby Allen joins the Saints.

ST KILDA is set to benefit from the addition of another experienced football brain when Graeme ‘Gubby’ Allan begins full-time work at the club late next week.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the straight-shooting and often colourful Allan, who has forged a successful career in footy department administration at four clubs, will have a central role in list management strategy at the Saints.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...c291067c3660a431b26?__twitter_impression=true

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10-30/acres-eyes-return

An interesting quote attributed to Blake Acres in this article on the Saints web site.

"We've brought in, I think, four or five new coaches now, and we'll bring in a few draftees in a few weeks," he said. "We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing, and I think this year he's got a great support group with all the new coaches.

An interesting remark coming from a bloke who has been dropped by Richardson more times than I care to count.

An interesting remark coming from a bloke who has been dropped by Richardson more times than I care to count.
Agree there Cursing.....a very very interesting comment by Blacres.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall at RSEA during a week.

"We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing, and I think this year he's got a great support group"

I know talks cheap but interesting he felt he needed to even say that.....towing the party line maybe.

Met with one of our prominent players the other day. Very bullish on Ratts and his ability to assist.

Name names or it didn’t happen...;)
(Although really, that’s no different from most of us.)

Agree there Cursing.....a very very interesting comment by Blacres.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall at RSEA during a week.

"We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing, and I think this year he's got a great support group"

I know talks cheap but interesting he felt he needed to even say that.....towing the party line maybe.

Hopefully the new coaching panel and recruits have a big impact on the kids. Maybe they have a bit of actual belief this time.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Nice to see Ratten suggest that Billings and Gresham will be used more thru the midfield.

Lade will also be good for Longer and Pierce, we finally have assistants with a background that can get these players playing at the peak of their potential.

Does Longer need more ruck coaching or does he need some midfield coaching?

Does Longer need more ruck coaching or does he need some midfield coaching?
IMO he needs both. Longer is an interesting case. I recently read an article about him from 2013 and it quoted the following:

-Longer was also an exceptional basketballer and even took up the martial art of Muay Thai to complement his elite ball skills.

-His excellent year and strong leadership skills were also recognised with the captaincy of the victorious Vic Metro team and selection as the ruckman in the TAC Cup team of the year and the 2011 All-Australian team.

-At one stage he was being talked about as a possible top five selection, so when he drifted to eight, the Lions were happy to snare the big man.

If he had elite ball skills, why don't we see more of them on display? He only averages 8 possessions a game.
If he had strong leadership skills why have these skills not developed enough for him to be part of the leadership group?
If he was talked about as a top five pick why has he not lived up to that potential?

Lethlean, in a recent interview, when asked about Longer's re-signing commented that he needs to work hard, be professional...... The "be professional" comment made my ears prick up. I interpreted that comment as Lethlean saying that Billy was not doing everything possible to get the best out of himself.
Hopefully a strong preseason and the new assistant coaches will help Billy realise his potential because we certainly need him to stand up next year if we want to be relevant again.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-25/the-billy-longer-story

Back