Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
I accept Richo may be a better coach than I believe he is.

I accept that 2017 may have just been a bad year for a any number of reasons.

I accept a lot of the blame for things that went wrong may lie with persons no longer at the club.

I accept we are probably better placed now to progress than we were at season's end.

I furthermore accept that I wouldn't have a clue about any of this and that I can't see what goes on behind closed doors.

But what worries me is the Richo who appears on 360 and on the Members videos. That is something we all can see and reality is he comes across as boring as batshit.

I just hope it's a case of on-camera nerves, and that away from the spotlight he suddenly morphs into some sort of Alan Killigrew on crack.

If he is able to motivate the team then that's great.

However they need to teach him how inspire we success starved supporters.
When the on field leaders left Richo was exposed as the fraudulent coach that he is.
He needs to leave, the sooner the better.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

I accept a lot of the blame for things that went wrong may lie with persons no longer at the club.

I accept we are probably better placed now to progress than we were at season's end.

I furthermore accept that I wouldn't have a clue about any of this and that I can't see what goes on behind closed doors.

But what worries me is the Richo who appears on 360 and on the Members videos. That is something we all can see and reality is he comes across as boring as batshit.

I just hope it's a case of on-camera nerves, and that away from the spotlight he suddenly morphs into some sort of Alan Killigrew on crack.

Just win, that's all the inspiration I need. If I want inspiration, I'll take crack and look at a painting.

Lol ok not true, we have to win in the right way too. I pray that one day the Saints find their very own Jürgen Klopp to turn us doubters into believers, but acts beat words every time.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just win, that's all the inspiration I need. If I want inspiration, I'll take crack and look at a painting.

Lol ok not true, we have to win in the right way too. I pray that one day the Saints find their very own Jürgen Klopp to turn us doubters into believers, but acts beat words every time.
That’s crossed my mind. I’ve got a good feeling about Ratten. Just hoping Richo is our Rodgers not Roy.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
That’s crossed my mind. I’ve got a good feeling about Ratten. Just hoping Richo is our ,Rodgers not Roy.

Something tells me a Spaceman-Cowboy collaboration is on its way.

But yes, I agree. Richo so far has been kind of like the anti-Rodgers though, a no-bull meat and potatoes coach, not a David Brent dazzler. So unfortunately a lot more like bloody Hodgson. I'd happily take a Rodgers-esque transformation, I think Klopp might as well be from a different planet to Richardson.

Urgh, bloody Roy. One of the football figures I'm always happy to see fail, along with Mourinho, Moyes, Warnock and Alladyce. If not more so.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Something tells me a Spaceman-Cowboy collaboration is on its way.

But yes, I agree. Richo so far has been kind of like the anti-Rodgers though, a no-bull meat and potatoes coach, not a David Brent dazzler. So unfortunately a lot more like bloody Hodgson. I'd happily take a Rodgers-esque transformation, I think Klopp might as well be from a different planet to Richardson.

Urgh, bloody Roy. One of the football figures I'm always happy to see fail, along with Mourinho, Moyes, Warnock and Alladyce. If not more so.
The Hodgson days were dark days. The similarities with Richo are stronger, it’s just I’d like us to skip right to the Klopp bit. It’s amazing what a difference a great leader can make.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes

A very boring unimaginative, bland, uncolourful post.:think:
What you need when making a post, is to possibly add a meme, which adds so much more colour to the post, stands out & gets everyones attention. (you should try it sometime) :p
Your definitely lacking direction Dr Spaceman, so in my wisdom I thought that I would help you out & just give you an idea what to do.:D

1ACC3B7B-C265-4299-A53A-DCAE78295C35.gif

I have met him at a few supporter events and he's pretty dull to talk to. I don't think being an engaging speaker is his thing. He's more an emotionally stable director type. From what I imagine he's probably a guy who gives honest and basic direction and easy to read as a coach but not really the guy who goes out an revs the troops until their eyes are rolling back in their heads.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Richo's off to study "Leadership" at University in New York o_O

Richo at his first day of school and the obligatory stand up and introduce yourself:

"Hi, my name is Alan. I'm the Head Coach of an unsuccesful football team in Australia.
Just this season all of my assistant coaches were sacked but I wasn't.
I'm here to learn what leadership is.
I expect to be unemployed next year and my star sign is Taurus"
Alan sits down to muffled laughter.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Didn’t know where to post this, but just got cold called by Peter at the club seeking a donation for the new Innovation Fund.
The purpose of the fund is to increase our competitiveness in key areas: off field, technology, analytics etc.
$200.
Donations are eligible for cash prizes, participation in club activities and I forget the rest of the spiel.
I’ll cut and paste the details when I get the email confirmation.

This business is beginning to get its act in place.
Long way to go but baby steps....

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Richo at his first day of school and the obligatory stand up and introduce yourself:

"Hi, my name is Alan. I'm the Head Coach of an unsuccesful football team in Australia.
Donald Trump is from there.
o_O

Didn’t know where to post this, but just got cold called by Peter at the club seeking a donation for the new Innovation Fund.
The purpose of the fund is to increase our competitiveness in key areas: off field, technology, analytics etc.
$200.
Donations are eligible for cash prizes, participation in club activities and I forget the rest of the spiel.

sunny....you don't think that maybe Peter was Malcolm Turnbull?

LOL.

Agree 100% with yr thoughts on it being a start...….great idea from within the club.

It's become obvious now that the club was "behind the eight ball" or not even "out of the gate"s in some areas…..which is now being addressed.

I did hear a strong whisper a few months back that the incoming Prez was going to be very aggressive in some areas.....particularly in ways to get our debt down.....the Innovation Fund plan may be from him.

It will be great to see some details when you hear from the club.

$200.

It is a great initiative.... it's just a shame that the company that runs the Innovation Fund on behalf of the Saints- TME Solutions ****ed up big time and sent out opposition club tickets to some of our members. I got my CATS ticket yesterday. TME Solutions have subsequently sent out TEXT messages apologizing for the mix up and advising that the correct tickets will be sent out shortly. I can only just imagine the back room conversations that were had over this mix up!
IMO the SAINTS have be doing an awesome job off field and I think they would be furious with TME Solutions. Nonetheless, a worthwhile cause and I was happy to contribute.

$200.

Yeah I got one of those calls, I was busy and told her to call back later, sounds like a prize draw for business sponsors.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I got one of those calls, I was busy and told her to call back later, sounds like a prize draw for business sponsors.
Wait till I cut and paste the confirmation email contents.
It seemed a worthwhile exercise during the spiel.
But then, I always get fries with my burger.....

Wait till I cut and paste the confirmation email contents.
It seemed a worthwhile exercise during the spiel.
But then, I always get fries with my burger.....

They were suggesting it was money for off field personnel like recruiters etc from the bit I heard. Thy should have made it around $100, I get yelled at if I spend more than that on club stuff, I can sneak that out without my wife cracking the shits. The Moorabin thing was good because it looked like I gave to a sporting foundation charity instead of the club. She was probably imagining little refugee kids getting basketballs or something not cabinetry for the gaming room at Linton Street.

$200.

signed up a month back for it. good value.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
interesting take from richo stating we were a bit too knee jerky. some on here have said we are not like that. so for richo to self confess that we have been that way was a bit surprising.
did he mean in pre-season last year or during the season itself?

did he mean in pre-season last year or during the season itself?

i suspect he's talking about the fall out from the norf game from a coaches perspective. i think they tried to change up on the fly. which interestingly enough is the common train among failed coaches and the first sign they're done. leigh matthews etc. have all been on record about this. as soon as a coach crumbles to pressure and changes on the run, they're done.

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda

I reckon it's a bit rotten to take a shot at a bloke for working to improve himself in the off season.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
i suspect he's talking about the fall out from the norf game from a coaches perspective. i think they tried to change up on the fly. which interestingly enough is the common train among failed coaches and the first sign they're done. leigh matthews etc. have all been on record about this. as soon as a coach crumbles to pressure and changes on the run, they're done.
Yeah thinking about it I think you’re right and he’s saying giving up on pre season plans after the north game was an error.

Maybe he was being more literal though. Maybe he thinks he was too hands on with his pep talks on the interchange bench - did he jerk their knees around too much? Maybe that’s why Hickey got pissed at him - wasn’t about his hamstring at all...#metoo...

Back