Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting take from richo stating we were a bit too knee jerky. some on here have said we are not like that. so for richo to self confess that we have been that way was a bit surprising.
I believe he was talking about things such as training methods game plans etc.

He trusted his senior boys to the hilt however.

I thought that interview with Richo was actually pretty good. He seems to have a fair idea of some things we can improve on.

The really interesting thing to me was when he was asked "is it different this year with the new coaches". He could have said something like "it's a bit different, but you know footy clubs are all painted from the same brush blah blah blah",

but instead, he emphatically said "yes". He also stated that he is very confident now to head off overseas and leave the assistants in charge of the program. Ratten is clearly the 2IC and he has utmost confidence in him.

The "a bit knee-jerky" thing was a strange turn of phrase, but the concept is sound. He has reflected and has received feedback, including player feedback, and he's saying that we kept trying to change things to get a winning formula. I think you could see that at times last year - the Geelong game being an excellent example.

Obviously it's early days, but Richo seems much more relaxed to me at the moment and there is a feeling that he has much more confidence in the coaching team around him.

I thought that interview with Richo was actually pretty good. He seems to have a fair idea of some things we can improve on.

The really interesting thing to me was when he was asked "is it different this year with the new coaches". He could have said something like "it's a bit different, but you know footy clubs are all painted from the same brush blah blah blah",

but instead, he emphatically said "yes". He also stated that he is very confident now to head off overseas and leave the assistants in charge of the program. Ratten is clearly the 2IC and he has utmost confidence in him.

The "a bit knee-jerky" thing was a strange turn of phrase, but the concept is sound. He has reflected and has received feedback, including player feedback, and he's saying that we kept trying to change things to get a winning formula. I think you could see that at times last year - the Geelong game being an excellent example.

Obviously it's early days, but Richo seems much more relaxed to me at the moment and there is a feeling that he has much more confidence in the coaching team around him.
We talk about how much Rooey and Joey leaving left the leadership gap but Im starting to wonder if its less the onfield stuff and more the fact that they would have been acting as extra coaches during that time.

Richo stating "he can trust the coaches" makes me feel like our previous line coaches were really dropping the ball and the slack was being taken up by Rooey and Joey.. which suddenly disappeared.

Look at it this way, if your two best assistants suddenly disappeared then you would absolutely see a difference in team performance.

Nine things we learned from the NAB AFL Draft
Mitch Cleary and Marc McGowan
Nov 27, 2018 11:38AM

6. Mathematicians across Australia should get their CV ready
Sydney senior recruiting analyst Chris Keane was the mastermind behind the move to 'park' a second-round pick, only to (somewhat controversially) get one back after matching the Nick Blakey bid. Both deals were agreed upon pre-draft and ticked off by the AFL. It was genius, regardless of your opinion on whether it should have happened or not. On a related note, Adelaide appointed data expert Binuk Kodituwakku in February to pick apart the club's draft decisions. He was seen prominently in the vision discussing moves with list boss Justin Reid and senior coach Don Pyke mid-draft. Darren O'Shaughnessy, who worked at Hawthorn during its flag three-peat, has accepted a full-time role as a senior data analyst at St Kilda, while the Western Bulldogs are on the hunt for a list and recruiting analytics and innovation manager. The times, they are a changin'.

Why not get Brendan Goddard to assist as a kicking coach? He wasn't much of a goal kicker, but he had a beautiful style to his kicking and through his complex mental analysis and predictive processing he could anticipate where a player would be and kick to that point rather than where they are. This allows the player to run on with confidence knowing the ball will hit him to his advantage. If he could express how to do this to our current players it would be of great benefit.

I'm interested to know how Jake Bachelor is going, and the reasons behind his employment with us. Was he just one of the few who wanted the job or would work for a lower salary? Was it something about his record that recommends him? He was delisted as a player at the end of the Tigers' premiership season, and spent last year as defensive coach and player of Frankston, under our very own Adam Scrabbledaks.

Anyone know what exactly we liked about him. Richmond have a lot of coaches that I'd like at our club, including ex-Saints X Clarke and A McQualter, plus Leppitsch, Caracella, McRae. Bachelor wasn't a coach there though.

Do we like him just for the IP, or is there something else?

I'm interested to know how Jake Bachelor is going, and the reasons behind his employment with us. Was he just one of the few who wanted the job or would work for a lower salary? Was it something about his record that recommends him? He was delisted as a player at the end of the Tigers' premiership season, and spent last year as defensive coach and player of Frankston, under our very own Adam Scrabbledaks.

Anyone know what exactly we liked about him. Richmond have a lot of coaches that I'd like at our club, including ex-Saints X Clarke and A McQualter, plus Leppitsch, Caracella, McRae. Bachelor wasn't a coach there though.

Without having any inside knowledge at all, it certainly seemed to me that it was a cheap way to get another hand on deck who could bring Richmond's IP along with him. He hasn't really had the time to earn his stripes as a coach. Could be seen as a way for the coaching group to connect more with our younger players as well.

I read that he was very impressive with Frankston, and did a bit of part-time development work with us. Again he impressed. Recent player from a very good club. Sounded good to me.

edit....here it is....

'St Kilda’s revamped coaching group will have another new face next season, with Jake Batchelor joining the club as a development coach.

After seven years and 84 senior games with Richmond, Batchelor joined the Frankston Dolphins in 2018 as a playing assistant coach.

The 26-year-old impressed in his role, developing the Dolphins’ young defenders and also spent time at the Saints in a part-time capacity in the second half of the season.

Talented part-time assistant coach Adam Skrobalak will also step up his involvement through a full-time development role with St Kilda in 2019.

READ: Ratten bolsters Saints

Skrobalak combined his role at the Saints this season with senior coaching responsibilities at the Dolphins.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said the duo were both talented young coaches who would add a lot to the club’s coaching group.

“We were really keen to increase Adam’s role at the club, and I know our players really enjoy working with him,” Lethlean said.

“The experience of coaching his own side this season will be a huge asset for him and for us heading into next year.

“Jake is someone not long out of the game who we’ve got to know through his involvement this season.

“He’s just come out of the system, so we think he can play an important role in helping develop our young defenders.”

READ: Saints secure Lade

The addition of Skrobalak and Batchelor follows the recruitment of Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade, who will assume senior assistant roles with the club in October.'

Why not get Brendan Goddard to assist as a kicking coach? He wasn't much of a goal kicker, but he had a beautiful style to his kicking and through his complex mental analysis and predictive processing he could anticipate where a player would be and kick to that point rather than where they are. This allows the player to run on with confidence knowing the ball will hit him to his advantage. If he could express how to do this to our current players it would be of great benefit.

Whilst I think this is a good idea, I lament the fact that professional players of a team orientated sport require lessons on how to both kick straight and anticipate the movements if their own team mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I think this is a good idea, I lament the fact that professional players of a team orientated sport require lessons on how to both kick straight and anticipate the movements if their own team mates.
I actually think we were rated quite well at kicking efficiency (1st in AFL in 2017, 2nd in 2018), we often kicked to stationary targets forcing them to brave unknown assailants from behind etc.. I thought of Goddard not because he was a good kick, but he was somewhat of a savant at kicking to where a player needed to be to avoid being manhandled. He essentially made them run to the position they should have. He could assess a situation quicker and better than most. I am not sure if he can communicate this skill as he seems to do it effortlessly. We have many players who can and do perform these actions at the highest level (which is why we are already doing so well at kicking efficiency), I just wondered if there was a step further we could take.

Our goal kicking is a different issue. We need to address that separately.

I actually think we were rated quite well at kicking efficiency (1st in AFL in 2017, 2nd in 2018), we often kicked to stationary targets forcing them to brave unknown assailants from behind etc.. I thought of Goddard not because he was a good kick, but he was somewhat of a savant at kicking to where a player needed to be to avoid being manhandled. He essentially made them run to the position they should have. He could assess a situation quicker and better than most. I am not sure if he can communicate this skill as he seems to do it effortlessly. We have many players who can and do perform these actions at the highest level (which is why we are already doing so well at kicking efficiency), I just wondered if there was a step further we could take.

Our goal kicking is a different issue. We need to address that separately.
I think that is more a measure of how long we kick - any kick over X metres (30 I think....) that ends up in a contest is given a tick. Therefore every kick to the goal square and every kick out to a mass of bodies on the wing is classed as an efficient kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On kicking I reckon it's too late by the time they get there. It's like Cleveland trying to get Simmons to shoot 3s.

My sons team is a pretty good club with resources, several coaches etc but the still do little to improve kicking at u15/17 level. Compared to when I played union way back when and the core skills at a similar age were focused on improvement much more.

On vision, moving in space and kicking it perfectly infront of someone running full pace is somewhat a gift and partly taught. Mind you I saw Goddard have about 15 great long kicks of the hbf in launceston early on and he hit nada.

He can certainly point them in the right direction... :p

Hope that the club is chasing Goddard now that he has officially announced his retirement.
BJ's pointing skills would be a value acquisition for the club ;)
We should also try and get this bloke. If he's pointing, I'm bloody listening

NPw_jnkVcM0oRn6OPkbFzvlMB9QFD-yuY7NsslaLu1I.jpg

I read that he was very impressive with Frankston, and did a bit of part-time development work with us. Again he impressed. Recent player from a very good club. Sounded good to me.

edit....here it is....

'St Kilda’s revamped coaching group will have another new face next season, with Jake Batchelor joining the club as a development coach.

After seven years and 84 senior games with Richmond, Batchelor joined the Frankston Dolphins in 2018 as a playing assistant coach.

The 26-year-old impressed in his role, developing the Dolphins’ young defenders and also spent time at the Saints in a part-time capacity in the second half of the season.

Talented part-time assistant coach Adam Skrobalak will also step up his involvement through a full-time development role with St Kilda in 2019.

READ: Ratten bolsters Saints

Skrobalak combined his role at the Saints this season with senior coaching responsibilities at the Dolphins.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said the duo were both talented young coaches who would add a lot to the club’s coaching group.

“We were really keen to increase Adam’s role at the club, and I know our players really enjoy working with him,” Lethlean said.

“The experience of coaching his own side this season will be a huge asset for him and for us heading into next year.

“Jake is someone not long out of the game who we’ve got to know through his involvement this season.

“He’s just come out of the system, so we think he can play an important role in helping develop our young defenders.”

READ: Saints secure Lade

The addition of Skrobalak and Batchelor follows the recruitment of Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade, who will assume senior assistant roles with the club in October.'

We won him in a reality TV series. There was a bit of a mix-up. We thought we were in the show, "The Batchelor".

I find this an odd comment because professionals from all walks are always being coached and mentor to constantly improve.

Even Tiger Woods...

We won him in a reality TV series. There was a bit of a mix-up. We thought we were in the show, "The Batchelor".
Pity it's not the Batchelorette as that may increase membership sign ups with 20 to 30 y/o male demographic.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back