Eye Rolling Movie Tropes

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Ellie, can I add the trope of people cutting their palms open when they want to draw their own blood? Like it's about the worst place you could cut yourself (outside of your arteries I guess), it'll take ages to heal and you'll be forever bumping and tearing open the wound.
That's bothered me in shows for many years!

You need your bloody hands (pardon the pun) for every day use you knobs!

When people have spontaneous presumably unprotected sex, and then afterwards just... Pull their pants back up/dress back down.

Sex is messy, but these people do it and somehow these people are not bothered by any release of bodily fluids in their clothes.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

When people have spontaneous presumably unprotected sex, and then afterwards just... Pull their pants back up/dress back down.

Sex is messy, but these people do it and somehow these people are not bothered by any release of bodily fluids in their clothes.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

or they go, s**t I'm late for work and get dressed without at least having a pommy shower

Has a naked woman in a bed ever told her - now undressed himself - male to "hop on"? Sorry that kind of phrasing seemed to happen a lot in bad fiction when i was growing up 25-30 years ago.

Has a naked woman in a bed ever told her - now undressed himself - male to "hop on"?
Kyle Maclachlan Reaction GIF by CBS

I miss 1980s style in-character "reunion shows" e. g. the endless sequels to The Brady Bunch.

Going by this photograph, an "According to Jim" reunion would gather high ratings amongst advertiser's coveted demographic of young men ;)

E-8EyV7X0DYAYMo.jpg

There's a story about Jack Benny, who used to perform World War II USO shows long before Bob Hope became connected with modern day recollections of them. Benny had brought his ensemble to a base in Louisiana, and had to make accommodations for his performers off the base. He and his white entourage were welcomed; Eddie "Rochester" Anderson wasn't. Benny basically told the proprietor that if Anderson wasn't welcome, then the rest of his crew wouldn't be staying either.

At a later USO show in Alabama, during a break Benny was approached by some good ol' boy PFC who was deeply disappointed that Rochester wasn't there. He kept going on and on about how he'd walk 20 miles just to see Rochester perform because he was the funniest ever. Benny just turned to the PFC and asked him "You'd walk 20 miles to see him? Would you sit here and buy him a Coca-Cola?" The PFC was all flummoxed; his response was basically you didn't do things like that in Alabama. Benny in his dead-pan way, simply responded, "That's why Rochester's not here."

Leapin' Lizards
the famous catchphrase for Little Orphan Annie has its origins way back in the early part of the comic strip and also the radio show. There were others like it too (e.g., "Sufferin' Catfish!"), but none so well known as "Leapin' Lizards!" Even people who have never seen the show or the movie nor read the comic strip know that Little Orphan Annie said it.

Actually, the phrase is used in the musical, but just once. At the very end, when "Daddy" Warbucks shows Annie a piece of paper telling that Ralph Mudge is really Rooster, Miss Hannigan's brother, Annie exclaims, "Leapin' Lizards! Who would've guessed!"

It was said six times in the movie, reflecting the concept that the movie was designed to be much more like the comic strip than the play was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're a terrorist in a 90s movie taking over a building/plane/train/boat etc., you must address your fellow terrorists as 'gentlemen'.
"Gentlemen, as you are aware, these are the keys needed for the bomb.."

Back in the day,before computers,that technology was the downfall of bank robbers,serial killers and mafia organizations.
Even in the days of computers, the big board can help provide a bigger picture, without getting overly lost in the weeds.

Programmes about popular TV shows will say at some point "... and the show became a hit internationally" followed by a random clip of an episode dubbed into French or German.

Remember the trail that BBC Video used to run in the mid 1990s, showing how successful the BBC was around the world, and the clip it used was from Rene talking to Edith in Allo Allo and saying "Du dumm frau!"?

moreso a tv troupe as well.. when it comes to extra matital affairs..

Woman has one because:
  • she needs to find herself again
  • shes in a loveless relationship and her partner is unaffectionate
  • she is confused
  • it was mistake
  • etc etc ....

Man has one;
  • hes a piece of s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back