Remove this Banner Ad

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
Characters in a car getting side swiped. Seems like a writer's skeleton key. Where are we going to take this? How do we wrap things up? How can we add some drama?
An underrated post. Main characters are all happy. Life is sweet as they drive down the street with Ben E King playing. You know they are going to get smashed at the next intersection.

sorted

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham
What about the nerdy plain looking girl who has her hair tied back and big glasses, but then has a makeover where her hair is let down, the specs come off, add some lippy and she looks like a supermodel.

Usually said girl is quite obviously hot to begin with.
Linda Cardellini as Velma from Scooby Doo owns this meme.

dumb

i sh*t blue
Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
the key jiggle when someone is after you. starting a car, opening a door.

in depth conversations between moments of action/carnage.

someone going off to save some other person right when they will run out of time before explosion/self destruction/etc.

i watched army of the dead recently, which includes all the above and more. it's basically one long trope.

Lord_Flashheart

Chicken Twisty Epicurean
Oct 28, 2009
The Whore Tree
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Coney Island Dockers
the key jiggle when someone is after you. starting a car, opening a door.

in depth conversations between moments of action/carnage.

someone going off to save some other person right when they will run out of time before explosion/self destruction/etc.

i watched army of the dead recently, which includes all the above and more. it's basically one long trope.
or kissing for the first time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kickazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
One thing the takes me out of a movie these days is that metal in the movies has a metal on metal sound, even when it's not metal on metal.

Examples, when someone pulls a knife or a sword, or when a character is hit by a frying pan.

Also I don't get why Kryptonians try to hit each other with small Earth objects, like an iron beam, or glass windows, when they should be invulnerable to them.
Knives out when Christopher Plummer dies.

Also, generally guns make a corny exaggerated sound when they are picked up or placed anywhere and stuff like that. Hard to explain but just sounds wrong.

kickazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I hate it in movies where a clearly more famous actor has what seems to be a small or insignificant part.

You just know there will be a 'twist' where it turns out they were the one who 'did it' or they had some other significant involvement. Can ruin a picture

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
This one is more a TV trope but pretty widely used:

When a character asks "Can I see you in the other room for a moment?" so that they can have a conversation out of earshot of other people.

Sometimes the awkwardness is acknowledged - eg Jesse Pinkman immediately knew it was game over when he was trying to crash at his mates' place - but often it's not. Rarely is there an Ooh, they must be talking about me realisation. Reading body language not a strong suit!

Also nothing in these "other room" conversations can be heard from the next room, regardless of the volume. Even Frasier's open plan kitchen was a cone of silence.

Eagle Wrath

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
On a similar note. Someone hiding from a killer or creature and a few seconds after the killer walks past, they leave their hiding spot and usually get caught or seen.

Demonic Ascent

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I've seen one too many instances of modern studios taking a popular song and having someone do an accoustic cover for trailers.
Haha so true just watched Black Widow the other day with an acoustic version of Smells Like Teen Spirit over the starting credits

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Why do villains explain in detail what their plan is/was to the hero?
Lol another trope parodied in Red Dwarf after Ace Rimmer escapes confinement in the nazi plane he’s being transported in

‘Take him into the hold, take ten minutes to explain all our plans to him... then... throw him out of the plane.’

Demonic Ascent

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
It would be great if computers worked in RL how they work on TV & movies. Turn it on and find what you want in 2 seconds.
Turn it on, spend 10 minutes searching for what you want, see something else that interests you, get distracted and go down a rabbit hole for the next hour before forgetting what you were looking for in the first place

Remove this Banner Ad