F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be tough to get around Oscar in the Aussie spirit that we all seem to share when it comes to Aussie's driving in F1 for me - McLaren have kinda soured it with this whole process.

It might be a tad easier knowing Daniel gets a seat. Even if he chooses himself to sit out it might still make next year a little more sombre trying to get excited about Piastri.

As far as Oscar is concerned - I really hope that he's lineball at minimum with Lando!

Going to be tough to get around Oscar in the Aussie spirit that we all seem to share when it comes to Aussie's driving in F1 for me - McLaren have kinda soured it with this whole process.

It might be a tad easier knowing Daniel gets a seat. Even if he chooses himself to sit out it might still make next year a little more sombre trying to get excited about Piastri.

As far as Oscar is concerned - I really hope that he's lineball at minimum with Lando!
Why exactly? McLaren offered him a (midfield) seat and he didn’t currently have a seat on offer so took it - fair play to the kid for going out and getting himself a seat, something Alpine had failed to do up until this point.

What he should be happy to sit out a year (whilst drivers he’d beaten have already progressed to F1) and then again be happy with a Williams seat for a further 2 years before even a remote chance of a midfield seat opening up?

Just because he signed an academy contract late in his already promising juniors career? Alpine didn’t fund him up from nothing, if they didn’t sign him to their academy somebody else would have

Last edited:
Doohan on the front row tomorrow too, this kids seriously flying now in the back half of his rookie F2 season. Seems a real possibility to get a seat eventually if he keeps this up. Probably won’t be next year but if he comes back and competes for the title next year as he should (There will be no Drugovich and he’s every bit as good as Sargeant & Prouchaire currently IMO) he’ll give himself every opportunity to land any available seats in ‘24

Starting to wonder if moving from the RB academy was the best move as he’d probably be their best junior ahead of Lawson IMO and there’s an AT seat possibly opening up this year if Gasly goes to Alpine as expected and then possibly again next year if Yuki struggles

Why exactly? McLaren offered him a (midfield) seat and he didn’t currently have a seat on offer so took it - fair play to the kid for going out and getting himself a seat, something Alpine had failed to do up until this point.

What he should be happy to sit out a year (whilst drivers he’d beaten have already progressed to F1) and then again be happy with a Williams seat for a further 2 years before even a remote chance of a midfield seat opening up?

Just because he signed an academy contract late in his already promising juniors career? Alpine didn’t fund him up from nothing, if they didn’t sign him to their academy somebody else would have

All fair points.

I think on reflection I'm just more disappointed in McLaren and perhaps that might rub off a bit. Not his fault though.

All fair points.

I think on reflection I'm just more disappointed in McLaren and perhaps that might rub off a bit. Not his fault though.
Yeah fair, I agree I’ve been pretty disappointed with everything McLaren has touched this year and the treatment of Danny especially. But just don’t think we should let that reflect on Oscar at all!

Fingers crossed Ric gets a seat, I’m still holding out hope that’s at Alpine but seems very unlikely now, although who knows this silly season is wild! I think Haas seems the most likely for next year and might actually be a fun watch/experience for both Aussies and Ric himself.

He’s earnt very very well in the past and who knows maybe a bit less pressure at the back of the grid might help him find his best again, no reason he shouldn’t still have multiple years left at the top of his game and McLaren is the outlier not the norm!

In summary:

- Alpine were happy to keep Oscar out of their car until 2024 & loan him to Williams - because they wanted to keep Alonso.

- Alpine then don't offer Alonso a suitable contract, citing his age. So Alonso leaves for a better deal at Aston Martin.

- In the meantime Oscar's management sees his only chance of getting a decent drive in 2023 is with McLaren so he signs with them on 4 July.

- Ricciardo is not told of McLaren's decision to dump him and is made to look like a fool by issuing this statement on 13 July: like this:

Yet again the real turds are the F1 Team principals.

All fair points.

I see a lot of this sentiment for the obvious reason that Mclaren knifed Danny Ric pretty hard and he is likely gone from the sport because of it but we have to put that mostly on Daniel he hasn't been at the level required and Piastri taking his seat is irrelevant people need to get past that if it wasnt Oscar it would have been Herta or Oward either way danny ric is out the door.

I see a lot of this sentiment for the obvious reason that Mclaren knifed Danny Ric pretty hard and he is likely gone from the sport because of it but we have to put that mostly on Daniel he hasn't been at the level required and Piastri taking his seat is irrelevant people need to get past that if it wasnt Oscar it would have been Herta or Oward either way danny ric is out the door.

Required for what exactly?

His money? That could really be the only contingent to which you make that statement.

He is currently ahead of 7 other drivers.

Required for what exactly?

His money? That could really be the only contingent to which you make that statement.

He is currently ahead of 7 other drivers.
It’s only relevant how he’s comparing to his own team mate or at least cars around him. He’s being wiped by Lando, Ocon and Alonso and even down on Seb, Bottas & Magnussen in much worse machinery.

The ‘22 McLaren is a tractor no doubt about it and there’s definitely been some preferential treatment for Lando, some poor strategy calls and general bad luck. I also think Lando is a very good driver and making the McLaren look a lot better than it is - but still you can’t hide from the sheer demolition he’s currently copping.

He just has to take some of the blame unfortunately, he really just can’t drive this car for whatever reason. If McLaren had someone even close to Lando in the 2nd seat they’d comfortably have 4th in the constructors wrapped up with a fair prize money difference from 5th behind Alpine.

They’re well within their rights to pay out Ric and try to improve their performance from that seat IMO

Daniel was always going to be number 2 to Max no matter how Horner outwardly spun it. Should have stayed at Renault/Alpine imo.

Pleased that Piastri has a seat but not the team he has gone to. I hope Oscar serves it right up to Lando. I can see the two drivers not getting on at all.

Daniel to Haas would be awesome , with the right car set up he can still podium.
good on oscar. alpine dudded him. promised him a seat in 2023 after standing out this year, then re-contracted alonso.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good article which details just how poorly Alpine have mismanaged this, to the point that the CRB have ruled Alpine need to pay all legal fees of all parties. Oscar gave them every chance to sort it out and they never once gave him anything concrete of course he’s going to look elsewhere and lock away his own future as in a sport like this you have to look after yourself - it’s an exaggeration/unlikely situation but let’s say Oscar hurts himself and can’t race etc, you think Alpine look after him? No they look after their own interests and he has no legally binding contract.

They have no one else to blame but themselves and Alpine/Otmar rubbing Oscars name through dirt and questioning his integrity over the past few weeks is nothing short of a disgrace. Frankly I’m glad he’s out of this organisation as everything they do seems to be an absolute mess

They failed to get him a ‘22 seat, they almost failed to even get him a contract for a reserve driver role in ‘22 FFS, they never had a contract with him all they had was a signed ‘road map’ and 5 months after the deadline of when they needed to get him an official contract the best they could do is add “This is legally binding” to a previously signed agreement - this is definitely not legal.

They were constantly missing dead lines, offering 1 year out of the sport and a further 2 years at Williams, which they hadn’t even gotten confirmation from Williams!!! This was just their ‘plan’ before finally possibly getting a seat at Alpine in ‘25. This is a team which constantly flirts with the idea of leaving F1, would you sign a contract to sit out a year, go around at Williams for 2 years and then finally have a confirmed seat at a midfield car who may not even be in the competition by ‘25?

Not even slightly comparable to Merc offering Russell a few years at Williams before a definite seat at a top team. Alpine have no right to expect somebody to wait for their seat. Zhou even got a better seat than they were offering Piastri

Oscar did the right thing

Last edited:
The bizarre commentary was a good chuckle thats for sure at the time, personally was thinking it was about where he was. The commentary on the twitter video comes in after saying he was around Alpine and he clearly felt uncomfortable discussing at that point

good on oscar. alpine dudded him. promised him a seat in 2023 after standing out this year, then re-contracted alonso.
The sad thing on australian facebook pages like fox sports is people who obviously dont follow closely are blaming Oscar for Daniels situation, saying s**t like he stabbed a fellow Australian in the back :rolleyes:

My favourite one was someone mentioning that the dont trust the industry or something like that after watching DTS lol.

Alpine can say as much as they like that they were going to find Piastri a seat in 2023 as a loan or something but thats obviously a promise that they cant keep - they cant force another team to give him a seat. another year sitting out could kill Piastris career before it even started. So ofcourse he looked around, you would be a moron not to.

Alpine absolutely butchered his deal, McLaren havent covered themselves in glory either as it appears several drivers look like they were misled into thinking it was their seat - including Daniel.

Max finally gets a clean run in on the soft tyres and puts one in straight away that is on par with Leclerc from yesterday, so seems RBR have sorted his car.

Last edited:
Max finally gets a clean run in on the soft tyres and puts one in straight away that is on par with Leclerc from yesterday, so seems RBR have sorted his car.
Only took Max two more laps and his put in a 1.12.196 already....after he pulled a HAM and said his tyres were gone :sweatsmile:

In before the stewards do a 180 from yesterday and penalise TSU for blocking HAM in practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back