F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Well that was one for the books - a whole race without a single "pasta gun" moment from Ferrari. When was the last time they went a whole race without shooting themselves in the foot? If anything, they were probably a bit unlucky not to have both drivers on the podium, as finishing behind the safety car almost certainly saved Russell from being overtaken by Sainz.

On the other hand, McLaren's deliberate sabotaging of Ricciardo, in favour of Norris, was entirely predictable. At least Hamilton & Sainz finished ahead of them, so Norris' net position change was nil after he botched the start. He started 3rd, blew the start, spent most of the race running in 7th in Ricciardo's DRS train - and finished 7th, despite McLaren sabotaging Ricciardo's position ahead of him.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Well that was one for the books - a whole race without a single "pasta gun" moment from Ferrari. When was the last time they went a whole race without shooting themselves in the foot? If anything, they were probably a bit unlucky not to have both drivers on the podium, as finishing behind the safety car almost certainly saved Russell from being overtaken by Sainz.

On the other hand, McLaren's deliberate sabotaging of Ricciardo, in favour of Norris, was entirely predictable. At least Hamilton & Sainz finished ahead of them, so Norris' net position change was nil after he botched the start. He started 3rd, blew the start, spent most of the race running in 7th in Ricciardo's DRS train - and finished 7th, despite McLaren sabotaging Ricciardo's position ahead of him.
I don't think it would've mattered and it certainly wasn't shooting themselves in the foot as badly as normal but I think it was absolutely the wrong call to bring him in under the VSC to stick mediums on. Once they committed to it, it needed to be hard's. They were never going to be quick enough to stop twice and beat Max with him stopping once.

I would love to have seen Leclerc stay out, Max was apparently coming in if that happened. I wonder whether they would've gone hard's or mediums if the roles were reversed.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Nyck just seems like a quality dude and instantly likeable...which I haven't said about any new driver in ages.
I find most of them likeable as they get a seat.
Excited youth.
Then they become corrupted, arrogant, figjam.

I really liked Russell and Norris when they were starting out. Very grounded and good personalities.
They're both turning into flogs though.
With more money comes higher self worth but ideally it shouldn't change who you are. It seems to change most.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t know why they need to have a standing start if they did call a late red flag, should be a rolling start.
This...

Why is common sense out of the game?

Anyone could tell in 30 seconds of seeing Ric parked up they'd need a VSC at the very least and it would take time to clear.

So why not red flag it instantly, then bring everyone out behind the safety car for a rolling restart?

At least we get a finish.
Everyone gets a free tyre change in the pits under the red flag so it could be deemed fair.

It's such a boring way to finish a race.
For that matter its a horrible system that every little thing on a track can cause 5-8laps of a race being killed.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely the simple scenario is that laps under the safety car don’t count.
Be it start, middle or end of race.
They can work out refueling I’m sure.

But if they decide they don't count then why even bother being out there?
Bring everyone in and wait for it to be cleared, then send them back out there.
Fixes the refueling issue.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
This...

Why is common sense out of the game?

Anyone could tell in 30 seconds of seeing Ric parked up they'd need a VSC at the very least and it would take time to clear.

So why not red flag it instantly, then bring everyone out behind the safety car for a rolling restart?

At least we get a finish.
Everyone gets a free tyre change in the pits under the red flag so it could be deemed fair.

It's such a boring way to finish a race.
For that matter its a horrible system that every little thing on a track can cause 5-8laps of a race being killed.
Because thats not what Red flags are for

Red Flags are for when it is not safe for cars to proceed on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
But if they decide they don't count then why even bother being out there?
Bring everyone in and wait for it to be cleared, then send them back out there.
Fixes the refueling issue.
I think they could easily determine if it’s going to be long under the safety car or just a 1 or 2 lap event.
They need to be able to keep some heat in the tyres.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I enjoy the better cars being penalised and starting back in the grid, get to see some passing but boy they can just motor past the rest of the field - top few teams are so far ahead of the rest it makes it a bit of a joke
It’s terrible, who cares about passing on the straight. Midfielders just get out of their way and don’t even put up a fight cos what’s the point. Would rather top teams start at the front & midfielders start in the midfield and at least we get battles between similarly places cars.

They need to go hard as * on the cost cap and hopefully in 5 - 10 years things level out

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because thats not what Red flags are for

Red Flags are for when it is not safe for cars to proceed on track.
Call it a purple flag or rainbow flag if you want then, who cares.

Does anyone want to see 10-15 laps a race parading around a safety car that’s out there for wayyy too long, also ruining any strategy differences between teams and giving certain drivers an advantage

VSC for anything they think can be cleared within 2 laps, otherwise bring them in - no tyre changes allowed, clear the hazard and out for one lap behind the safety car to get some heat in the tyres and then off you go with the rolling start, if it’s a first lap safety car then standing start again.

Why be out on the track if you can’t race just burning critical laps. Surely RC can tell straight away how quick a stoppage is gonna be.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Call it a purple flag or rainbow flag if you want then, who cares.

Does anyone want to see 10-15 laps a race parading around a safety car that’s out there for wayyy too long, also ruining any strategy differences between teams and giving certain drivers an advantage

VSC for anything they think can be cleared within 2 laps, otherwise bring them in - no tyre changes allowed, clear the hazard and out for one lap behind the safety car to get some heat in the tyres and then off you go with the rolling start, if it’s a first lap safety car then standing start again.

Why be out on the track if you can’t race just burning critical laps. Surely RC can tell straight away how quick a stoppage is gonna be.

Yep, and if the delay ends up being too severe they could drop some laps off the race to ensure it'll still finish on time.

I think the FIA just like to keep a racing going, to hold viewers and finish the telecast around the intended time.

It just seems like the tighter circuits feature more and more safety cars as the industry becomes more and more safety conscious (paranoid?).
It really needs a different set of rules for such circuits.

We move to Singapore next and the same thing will happen. Someone will drop an engine on circuit and we'll waste 8-10laps of the GP.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
boring race. disappointing 2 c danny ric's car fold after a much better performance. starting 2 dislike norris. becoming a bighead.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Speaking of still sooking, The Alpine story rolls on. The CEO Laurent Rossi started to sound like the source of a chunk of the issues in my opinion.

He's taken a swipe at Piastri yet again about loyalty and expectations, compared the situation to Vettel, Verstappen, Leclerc and Hamilton who did a stint elsewhere first and called it "F1 Tradition" to learn the ropes elsewhere, which is a load of crap. Alpine rating themselves with Redbull, Ferarri and Mercedes is a bit of delusions of grandeur. Their main rival who beat them in points the 3 seasons prior had no issues backing him in.

This then goes in tandem with comments on Doohan saying they want him somewhere else first with comments like “And we know teams like ours are under a little bit more pressure when it comes to cost caps. So I’d prefer to have him destroy his first wing elsewhere". No wonder their Junior drivers are disillusioned actively search for other opportunities, something stinks in the Alpine administration.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The drivers at Alpine and in the Alpine academy use them as a means to an end because they know Alpine is just using them. There's clearly no trust in the relationships.

Back