F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna kick off the thread in earnest with a look at the aerodynamic changes, starting with the floor:

racefansdotnet-2021-floor.jpg

Yes, it says 2021, but I think the host site's pic was created well prior to the pandemic. Goodbye bargeboard, hello to voids under the car. The way in which air will head to the rear wing has been massively altered.

A better view of the overall bodywork changes:

c78nlo2ep2w315605127776193991024.jpg

A frontal shot:

image437006063281107858.jpg

Finally a side profile:

2021carvs2022car16x9front3q1668825544903272033..jpg

Massively simplified front-wings and the reshaped bodywork should generate much less in the way of dirty air, and combined with a car that's less sensitive to airflow via the wing, it should mean the chasing car retains 86% of its downforce, rather than the 55% or so it currently retains. All of this should also produce closer, more intense racing, especially around mid and high-speed corners.

The engines are due to be simplified too. The MGU-H element is being removed. Whether this grants the likes of Ferrari and Renault and the 'Red Bull Power Train' or whatever they're rebranding Honda, a chance to close up on Mercedes, remains to be seen.

A sliding-scale rule regarding aero testing and a budget cap should also begin to level the playing field, though it's unlikely to have an immediate impact for 2022.

Can't wait to see what the racing will be like next year. Obviously there'll still be a big gap between the top teams and the also-rans, but hopefully the racing will be more exciting amongst the more evenly matched teams.

Looking at that front wing end-plate, I reckon drivers will be more cautious about sticking their nose in to closing gaps. If that wing makes contact with another car they'll either lose way more aero than they do when they damage the current end plates, or they'll do more damage to the whole front wing because of the wing being more "one piece" ...

I'm not sure, but I believe the 2022 cars will retain DRS. It sounds like the desire is to phase the system out over the next couple of years, which makes sense if the revised aerodynamics allow for closer racing through corners.

Testing Dates
Test 1 (Barcelona) – 23rd – 25th February
Test 2 (Bahrain) – 11th – 13th March
(First Race in Bahrain is on the 20th March)

Also see that we are getting 6 Sprint Race Weekends this year
Round 1 – Bahrain
Round 4 – Imola
Round 9 – Canada
Round 11 – Austria
Round 15 – Netherlands
Round 22 – Brazil

Not totally sold on the spring race format just yet.

Can't wait to see what the racing will be like next year. Obviously there'll still be a big gap between the top teams and the also-rans, but hopefully the racing will be more exciting amongst the more evenly matched teams.

Looking at that front wing end-plate, I reckon drivers will be more cautious about sticking their nose in to closing gaps. If that wing makes contact with another car they'll either lose way more aero than they do when they damage the current end plates, or they'll do more damage to the whole front wing because of the wing being more "one piece" ...

I don't think the front wing will necessarily be one piece just because the concept car shows it as one. Can't wait to see how they actually look.

heard oscar on radio this morning. not sure whether he is bored with the medya or is getting ahead of himself. reckon someone needs to have a word in his shell pink.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a suggestion that if Hamilton retires Mercedes would turn to Ocon. He's OK without being spectacular and would never compete with Verstappen.

Heard a suggestion that if Hamilton retires Mercedes would turn to Ocon. He's OK without being spectacular and would never compete with Verstappen.
Puts a lot of pressure on George Russell to be the championship contender in that team.

Ocon is the kind of driver you get to replace Bottas, not Lewis. To be fair though, the only drivers you would really look at to get a "like for like" replacement for Lewis would be Vettel, Alonso or Verstappen.

Puts a lot of pressure on George Russell to be the championship contender in that team.

Ocon is the kind of driver you get to replace Bottas, not Lewis. To be fair though, the only drivers you would really look at to get a "like for like" replacement for Lewis would be Vettel, Alonso or Verstappen.

Right now I'd be reluctant to place Vettel in that category, considering his reactions to pressure in 17, 18 and 19. Alonso would be great but he'd cost more, though to Mercedes surely he'd be worth it. Leclerc might not be a bad punt.

Norris or Ricciardo would be the next best available - Whether Mercedes consider they would be a good fit is questionable.

Ricciardo has the experience. Norris has room to develop, but both he and Russell, however much potential they have, won't be able to challenge Verstappen this season. Verstappen might feel he has the measure of Ricciardo from their Red Bull days. Of course.

If it does happen, Merc will throw the kitchen sink at Vettel, Alonso and Max. The only title winners on the grid. For various reasons I don't think any of those three are going to Merc anytime soon.

Which leaves the next crop of Ocon, Bottas (only because he knows the team and the team know him), Ricciardo, Norris with the last two pretty unlikely you'd think.

Ocon is the most chance as he has those Merc links but he's also pretty entrenched in Alpine now. Maybe there are clauses for this thing though. That would be cool because Piastri racing an Alpine learning from Alonso will be fantastic.

Bottas would be the most underwhelming choice for a Mercedes seat since Bottas.

Personally if I were Mercedes though I'd be going for Gasly.

Gasly and Russell is a long term superteam.

Apparently F1 will not be going through the medical exemption route in 2022 - They are leaning towards mandatory vaccinations even though the bigger issue in the first half of the season will be keeping COVID out of the paddock.

I wonder if any drivers on the grid are anti-vax ?

Well the assistant safety car driver who has caught COVID twice apparently has no interest in being vaccinated - I don't look at the situation as being pro-Vax or Anti-vax - It's far more nuanced than this label - I will add that both groups who claim to be Anti-Vax and Pro-Vax are as bad as each other.

Will Buxton had a crack at predicting 2025 Driver lineups

No Piastri is just a little of an oversight.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back