F1 2022

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I find it a strange move from McLaren. Dan has underperformed for sure but are they really going to pay one of the higher paid drivers on the grid to sit out a season? All to bring in a rookie to drive around a genuine midfield car. I don’t see the upside for them, unless they are banking on another team giving Dan a drive and getting them out of the mess.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I find it a strange move from McLaren. Dan has underperformed for sure but are they really going to pay one of the higher paid drivers on the grid to sit out a season? All to bring in a rookie to drive around a genuine midfield car. I don’t see the upside for them, unless they are banking on another team giving Dan a drive and getting them out of the mess.
It's not about 2023 or 2024.
Current performance aside, credit where credits due.. Mclaren have poached an elite up and coming talent.

Now they have a driver pairing that can go for 6-8 years even.

Now they just need to sort the car out

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not about 2023 or 2024.
Current performance aside, credit where credits due.. Mclaren have poached an elite up and coming talent.

Now they have a driver pairing that can go for 6-8 years even.

Now they just need to sort the car out
Mercedes will have their eye on both for a possible Lewis replacement

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Mercedes will have their eye on both for a possible Lewis replacement
Norris is on a long term deal as far as I knew.
And piastris now signed up for 2 or 3 if media is to be believed.

Hamilton gone end of next year I don't think either are available.

Unless Norris has an exit clauses if a top team comes knocking.

I very highly doubt they sign him to such a long term deal if that would be the case in the first couple of years.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Norris is on a long term deal as far as I knew.
And piastris now signed up for 2 or 3 if media is to be believed.

Hamilton gone end of next year I don't think either are available.

Ricciardo is also signed up for next year
I am not putting much faith in any F1 contract anymore.

Oscar-Webber camp didn't want to spend a year at Williams which was Alpine's proposal when they thought they still had Alonso.
Yeah, I know. But the fact that they signed up with McLaren must mean that they didn't know what Alonso was planning, else why not just stay with Alpine?

The way this has played out, Oscar is going to come out smelling bad. It looks disloyal and somewhat petulant when you consider that McL is at best a sideways move from Alpine and at worst a backwards step if Alpine continue to out-perform McL.

The British pundits are already whacking Piastri over this (not that I agree with them):

Don't you love the way he doesn't even acknowledge that at the time Oscar signed this supposed deal with McL that his only other option was Williams, and in that light, McL looks the better choice?

May as well just swap now, is that allowed? Even if Ric just getting used to it as the reserve so he's good to go next season.

Got a feeling Dan's love of the US could see him go there though. Wonder what clauses there are and if they still have to pay him the full 23 amount if he was racing outside of F1.

Got a feeling Dan's love of the US could see him go there though. Wonder what clauses there are and if they still have to pay him the full 23 amount if he was racing outside of F1.

If he agrees to end the contract this year they have to pay him pretty much the full amount anyway apparently.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think he'll go to Alpine and McLaren will facilitate the move. They'll have to pay a decent percentage of his salary because there's no way Alpine are going to pay him his contracted 2023 amount.

Achy Blakey Heart

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics,Red Sox,Patriots,Dragons,
May as well just swap now, is that allowed? Even if Ric just getting used to it as the reserve so he's good to go next season.

I'd love to see Dan in Indycar or Nascar.... would be so good!

No Quarter

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮
Jul 21, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#DR3
i would imagine as soon as zak brown uttered the word mechanisms concerning dan's contract mclaren had piastri in the car for next season.

I've started to think about this too. When it was implied that McLaren had a get out clause you wonder if perhaps that was true and their press team told him to back track on it out of good will/image.

I'd like to think then that this has all been orchestrated with the knowledge that Dan would be looked after in whatever way suited him (if that means going to Alpine and he's happy, if that means driving in some other formula that he was wanting to (Indy, for example, our bowing out of racing altogether.)

He probably knew about it all along and just decided to throw out the things he said about staying put and contracts and what not just to poke the bear.

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I've started to think about this too. When it was implied that McLaren had a get out clause you wonder if perhaps that was true and their press team told him to back track on it out of good will/image.

I'd like to think then that this has all been orchestrated with the knowledge that Dan would be looked after in whatever way suited him (if that means going to Alpine and he's happy, if that means driving in some other formula that he was wanting to (Indy, for example, our bowing out of racing altogether.)

He probably knew about it all along and just decided to throw out the things he said about staying put and contracts and what not just to poke the bear.

When you're contracted for $15M+ year damn right you say you're staying put and committed to the cause :D

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crazy!

I feel for Daniel. Sure his performance has been somewhat questionable but he is still ahead of quite a few.

As an unabashed Aussie fan I just hope he had a seat next year. I think he deserves it.
I don't think he deserves a seat next year.
Its between Ricciardo and Latifi for worst driver of the season.
I don't think the McLaren car is that bad given what Norris has produced. Both in qualifying and on race day.
It is just Ricciardo is miles off the pace.

He only has himself to blame if he doesn't have a seat next season.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Except no one knew alpine had a seat

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lando & Oscar next year is so bloody juicy - man McLaren please give them a good ******* car! If they do we could actually have a good battle for 3rd. But I think 2024 is what they’re aiming for with the new facilities and wind tunnel up and running - an experienced Lando, Oscar with a couple of years under his belt. It’s a good move sorting out their drivers long term. Now fix the car.

Ric to Alpine would be bloody brilliant too, would absolutely love him to find it again and beat Lando next year as a * you to McLaren and their s**t car.

Gonna be an awkward end to 22 for a lot of people though 😂 hopefully Alpine sack a whole bunch of *******s, this utensil up was inexcusable. I want to like them but geez they’re just so *ed.

No Quarter

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮
Jul 21, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#DR3
Its between Ricciardo and Latifi for worst driver of the season.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Back