F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a few silly people in here who owe Webber an apology.....and Piastri for that matter.

Brilliant work Mark.
Given the timeline, seems like they got the best they could out of the situation

Up until the Alonso announcement, Piastri's options seemed to be Williams or side-lined for another year. So to get a McLaren seat from that predicament is a great effort.

It would have been interesting if they had known Fernando's intentions whilst they were shopping around for a seat. In a pure two horse race between McLaren and Alpine, you would probably go with Alpine (particularly as they have supported Oscar through his rise to F1).

Given the timeline, seems like they got the best they could out of the situation

Up until the Alonso announcement, Piastri's options seemed to be Williams or side-lined for another year. So to get a McLaren seat from that predicament is a great effort.

It would have been interesting if they had known Fernando's intentions whilst they were shopping around for a seat. In a pure two horse race between McLaren and Alpine, you would probably go with Alpine (particularly as they have supported Oscar through his rise to F1).

You'd think they had already had an agreement with McLaren and were just waiting to see if Alpine did anything about his contract expiring

Only if Piastri starts beating Norris out the blocks, if he is just behind everyone will be happy. Season 2 though look out, Piastri is a special talent imo.

I think it'll be ok. Lando's dominance over RIC has been so great that Oscar won't be expected to beat him and will be allowed to settle in for a rookie year. Hopefully McLaren can build a better car next year which would make it even more interesting.

You'd think they had already had an agreement with McLaren and were just waiting to see if Alpine did anything about his contract expiring
They likely organised everything pre the Alpine contract renewal date and kept everything quiet so Alpine wouldn't suspect they had any intention to defect, signed it the second it did and the rest was history.

I do think we are being naive when it comes to who knew what though, Alonso and Webber are mates and its highly likely it was communicated this deal was happening to send Oscar to Mclaren which is likely why Alonso held out so long knowing he would be offered 2 years the minute news spread of Piastri going to Mclaren.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on Alonso defecting to Aston Martin though, putting that one down to Alonso's ego not liking the fact they wanted to replace him with a rookie next year.

They likely organised everything pre the Alpine contract renewal date and kept everything quiet so Alpine wouldn't suspect they had any intention to defect, signed it the second it did and the rest was history.

I do think we are being naive when it comes to who knew what though, Alonso and Webber are mates and its highly likely it was communicated this deal was happening to send Oscar to Mclaren which is likely why Alonso held out so long knowing he would be offered 2 years the minute news spread of Piastri going to Mclaren.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on Alonso defecting to Aston Martin though, putting that one down to Alonso's ego not liking the fact they wanted to replace him with a rookie next year.
And in all that where were they leaving Ricciardo..

I guess it’s the old “sorry mate, it’s just business” but there’s a certain romance in expecting an Aussie to be looking after another Aussie. I accept this is fairly naive of me to think about it that way, though!

I think it'll be ok. Lando's dominance over RIC has been so great that Oscar won't be expected to beat him and will be allowed to settle in for a rookie year. Hopefully McLaren can build a better car next year which would make it even more interesting.
For sure there wont be much pressure to beat him just get close but I reckon Piastri will be a lot closer than people expect, the kid won 3 championships in 3 years in equal cars adapting and going quicker then his peers and looked to be taking an extra step going away towards the end of F2 which proves he is both adaptable and getting quicker the faster the cars go.

Side note as a reserve for Mclaren you can bet he has done some simulator driving with their car before they made this decision.

And in all that where were they leaving Ricciardo..

I guess it’s the old “sorry mate, it’s just business” but there’s a certain romance in expecting an Aussie to be looking after another Aussie. I accept this is fairly naive of me to think about it that way, though!
My 1st thought when I seen Oscar had rejected Alpine was Danny Ric is gone but I honestly think its the best thing that could happen to him IF he ends up at Alpine again, if he can get that drive and beat Ocon again he will well placed to continue for another few years with them and hopefully snag a few podiums and a win or 2. Mclaren has been a slow death for him and another year there would have ended in tears.

My 1st thought when I seen Oscar had rejected Alpine was Danny Ric is gone but I honestly think its the best thing that could happen to him IF he ends up at Alpine again, if he can get that drive and beat Ocon again he will well placed to continue for another few years with them and hopefully snag a few podiums and a win or 2. Mclaren has been a slow death for him and another year there would have ended in tears.

Yeah I definitely agree. I hope that he is the #1 at Alpine for the next few years and does enough to get a couple of wins and basically look about as relevant as Alonso has lately.

I think the F1 world benefits from Ric being a part of it

Yeah I definitely agree. I hope that he is the #1 at Alpine for the next few years and does enough to get a couple of wins and basically look about as relevant as Alonso has lately.

I think the F1 world benefits from Ric being a part of it
Side note on Aussies looking after Aussies, Brown was shopping for the best driver to replace Daniel from early on which is why they tested Herta, O'ward, etc they were always going to dump him so it doesn't really matter to me that Piastri is the one who takes it from him, he wouldn't be in this situation if he could have continued on where he left off last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange move for Piastri . Alpine Car has been better than McClaren . Ricciardo sucks at McClaren the car setup obviously doesn't suit him . The Renault probably suits Ricciardo's style anyway . If Piastri is driving for McClaren and Riccardo is at Alpine I personally will be looking forward to watching even that little bit more. I like Norris,Piastri and Riccardo so hope they have all good races next year .

Strange move for Piastri . Alpine Car has been better than McClaren . Ricciardo sucks at McClaren the car setup obviously doesn't suit him . The Renault probably suits Ricciardo's style anyway . If Piastri is driving for McClaren and Riccardo is at Alpine I personally will be looking forward to watching even that little bit more. I like Norris,Piastri and Riccardo so hope they have all good races next year .

Im interested in what in particular technical aspects of the McLaren doesn't suit Riccardo as opposed to the Renault which as you say 'suits' his style.

Im interested in what in particular technical aspects of the McLaren doesn't suit Riccardo as opposed to the Renault which as you say 'suits' his style.

I can't remember who (I think maybe WTF1) put out a video a couple of months ago explaining it.

Not the poster in question but he needs a stable front end because he likes to carry more speed through the turn and deal with a loose rear on the way out where mclaren have designed cars that become unstable under braking so you have to scrub more speed off then rotate it and ping it out.

The Renault when he joined them was the same, they built the car towards his style though and he got better and better where McLaren have Norris who is quick the way this is so they wont change it for Daniel. IMO Mclaren are being quite foolish in this aspect, red bull have built the fastest cars for a decade and engine power has prevented them completely dominating the sport the entire time.

As far as the new car suiting him who would know but it does seem a more consistent car then the mclaren so its better.

Not strange at all. His options were McLaren, or driving on loan for Williams. Given those options, McLaren was a complete no brainer.

The Alpine vacancy didn't exist until Alonso blindsided everyone with his announcement, which came a day after Alpine's contract option on Piastri expired. It simply didn't exist when Piastri was making his choice.

It's all in the timeline, but he was never choosing between Alpine and McLaren.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should never have left Red Bull.

Not sure I can agree with that, given the fate of all of Verstappen's partners since he departed.

Gonna be an awkward end to 22 for a lot of people though 😂 hopefully Alpine sack a whole bunch of *******s, this utensil up was inexcusable. I want to like them but geez they’re just so ******ed.

They're French, it's not hard to not like them. :cool:

This whole kerfuffle has done wonders for Australian interest in F1, that's for sure. Channel 10 News in Perth even had it in sport after the AFL (naturally). I don't think Ricciardo returning to Alpine/Renault is as bad a move as many make it out to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back