F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Overtaking there used to be extremely difficult, now with the wide-boy cars it's just actually impossible. I'm hoping for 2026 we get some smaller-narrower-lighter cars, any improvement there would be good.

Couldn't agree more. Lucky to get 1 or 2 actual racing moments per race in these cars these days and every overtake takes place in the same spot each race. Make them small again so drivers can actually use the track and different driving lines.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Couldn't agree more. Lucky to get 1 or 2 actual racing moments per race in these cars these days and every overtake takes place in the same spot each race. Make them small again so drivers can actually use the track and different driving lines.

They also cheated by having the 2022 closer to the camera.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2005 - 4500m long, 1800mm wide
2022 - 5500m long, 2000mm wide

They're the dimensions of an oversize SUV/"Truck", but only 90cm tall.

Even back in 2005 they were getting too "big". With the additional safety features required now (especially in front of cockpit shell), I'm not sure how you are going to be able to reduce the length dramatically.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
2005 - 4500m long, 1800mm wide
2022 - 5500m long, 2000mm wide

They're the dimensions of an oversize SUV/"Truck", but only 90cm tall.

Even back in 2005 they were getting too "big". With the additional safety features required now (especially in front of cockpit shell), I'm not sure how you are going to be able to reduce the length dramatically.
Man that's surprising that they're that big, 5 and a half metres long is huge. That's the length of a people carrier/van.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Jacques is 100% on the money.

I think Ricciardo best option might be to become Mercedes reserve driver for 2023 with the possibility he may luck into a seat in 2024 if Hamilton retires.
danny ric won't become a reserve driver. his time at mclaren has been poor, but he was ok at renault which is y they were pissed when he left.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
You'd think Alpine would take a lesson from their own history. Back in the early 80 as Renault, they paired Prost with Arnoux, and the atmosphere was horrible. Do they really want to go all-French again?

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
You'd think Alpine would take a lesson from their own history. Back in the early 80 as Renault, they paired Prost with Arnoux, and the atmosphere was horrible. Do they really want to go all-French again?
there isn't a lot of choice. doubt they'd want danny ric back due 2 him bailing in them.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

I guess the size has been forced larger and larger over the years as they search for a greener future?
All the extra electronics etc needs somewhere to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Twitter is saying Devries to Alpha Tauri and Gasly to Alpine!
The russian roulette of team drivers swapping is getting crazy.

A Renault reserve driver defecting to Mclaren.
A Red Bull Driver moving to Renault.
A Mercedes contract reserve driver moving to a RedBull.

It's getting hard to follow.

Surely there's a scenario where they all just race their own drivers haha.

incorrectdisposal

Senior List
Jul 25, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Man that's surprising that they're that big, 5 and a half metres long is huge. That's the length of a people carrier/van.
So yes you're spot on Dice Man... the current F1 cars cast a slightly bigger shadow than the 8-seater Kia Carnival
Dimensions of my Kia Carnival
Width 1985mm
Length 5115mm

I'm onboard with what several of you are saying. Make the cars smaller. Reduce the ground aero and front wing aero. Keep making the air behind the cars cleaner to follow in. Use softer tyres that need changing more often and get pit stops up from 1-2 per race to 2-3-4 per race with the cars on softer rubber and therefore greater difference in pace on track due to tyre wear. Reduce DRS use down to a maximum of 10x per race only, used at discretion of the team whenever they like regardless of having a car in front.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
So yes you're spot on Dice Man... the current F1 cars cast a slightly bigger shadow than the 8-seater Kia Carnival
Dimensions of my Kia Carnival
Width 1985mm
Length 5115mm

I'm onboard with what several of you are saying. Make the cars smaller. Reduce the ground aero and front wing aero. Keep making the air behind the cars cleaner to follow in. Use softer tyres that need changing more often and get pit stops up from 1-2 per race to 2-3-4 per race with the cars on softer rubber and therefore greater difference in pace on track due to tyre wear. Reduce DRS use down to a maximum of 10x per race only, used at discretion of the team whenever they like regardless of having a car in front.
I like that idea - like "push to pass" in Indy Cart racing.

No Quarter

╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮
Jul 21, 2022
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#DR3

Not Important

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

Aww.. sometimes I do really wish Danny stayed with RB even though everything that pointed to him needing to leave. Would have had a fairly decorated career even if being second fiddle to Max.
agree. but he knew he was going 2 b an afterthought in all decisions as it was clear verstappen was the anointed 1. at that time i think danny ric had visions of being world champ.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
agree. but he knew he was going 2 b an afterthought in all decisions as it was clear verstappen was the anointed 1. at that time i think danny ric had visions of being world champ.
And he should have had visions of being a world champ.
No doubt had the talent just needed some things to go his way. The arrival of Verstappen was one of the things that didn’t go his way. Any of the other junior RB drivers he would have been number one without a doubt.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Next years race calendar has been released, 24 races at the moment

Currently pencilled in for four weekends. Jampacked, including an eight day break between final two rounds including a 20+ hr flight between Vegas and Abu Dhabi. No wonder Vegas is a Saturday night race...

Any idea on how much Vegas might cost?

I should be in the US that time next year.

The actual race the FIA have said won't be ridiculously priced. Hotels and such will probably be 5x the normal price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back